News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2015, 03:09:44 AM
Is it coincidence that the "advocacy group" RWHN is the Maine director of started heavily pushing the "medical marijuana is fraud" and "pot caused accidents are clogging up Maine ERs" mere days before this policy?

Of course, there is another reason than just permamently embedding his tongue up LePage's arse as to why RWHN hates the idea of medical pot...

SURPRISE!

Thanks for the link, Cain, I'll be reposting it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

No problem.  RWHN also has a blog, btw

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2015, 03:30:50 AM
No problem.  RWHN also has a blog, btw

Oh that has to be fucking AMAZINGly mediocre!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It's pretty bad, though not as bad as his Twitter.  He recounts his retweets and followers once a week, every week.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2015, 05:14:47 AM
It's pretty bad, though not as bad as his Twitter.  He recounts his retweets and followers once a week, every week.

Wow.  :lulz: That's... I don't actually even know what it is. Possibly just neurotic as hell.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You know what's fascinating about both his blog and his Twitter? The disproportionate amount of space devoted to marijuana, as opposed to other widespread drugs with higher risks and health impacts. There is almost no mention of methamphetamines, for example. It seems likely that it is very reflective of the push coming from the big anti-marijuana funding sources.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 06:24:22 AM
You know what's fascinating about both his blog and his Twitter? The disproportionate amount of space devoted to marijuana, as opposed to other widespread drugs with higher risks and health impacts. There is almost no mention of methamphetamines, for example. It seems likely that it is very reflective of the push coming from the big anti-marijuana funding sources.

Of course it is.  He probably justifies it as weed being the "mistake" made by "quality people", whereas meth is for gutter trash.

I know that's not accurate.  But he has never been able to look for accuracy outside of his narrative.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 19, 2015, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 06:24:22 AM

Of course it is.  He probably justifies it as weed being the "mistake" made by "quality people", whereas meth is for gutter trash.

I know that's not accurate.  But he has never been able to look for accuracy outside of his narrative.

He's icky.

The Wizard Joseph

http://news.yahoo.com/treasure-hunters-mysterious-shipwreck-lake-michigan-155138271.html

QuoteIn 2011, Michigan-based treasure hunters Kevin Dykstra and Frederick Monroe found a shipwreck as they were searching for the $2 million in gold that, according to local legend, fell from a ferry crossing Lake Michigan in the 1800s

QuoteBut other experts aren't convinced that the wreck is the Griffin. Rather, it may be the remnants of a tugboat that was scrapped after "steam engines became more economical to operate," said Brendon Baillod, a Great Lakes historian who has written scholarly papers on the Griffin.   

also until now I had no idea there was a Wreckdiving magazine, omg!
https://www.wreckdivingmag.com/WDM_Issue_34/Home.html

not even certain that they found it... article still plugs to a magazine homepage instead of relevant article. .. neat story and clever magazine promo methinks!

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 19, 2015, 04:49:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/treasure-hunters-mysterious-shipwreck-lake-michigan-155138271.html

QuoteIn 2011, Michigan-based treasure hunters Kevin Dykstra and Frederick Monroe found a shipwreck as they were searching for the $2 million in gold that, according to local legend, fell from a ferry crossing Lake Michigan in the 1800s

QuoteBut other experts aren't convinced that the wreck is the Griffin. Rather, it may be the remnants of a tugboat that was scrapped after "steam engines became more economical to operate," said Brendon Baillod, a Great Lakes historian who has written scholarly papers on the Griffin.   

not even certain that they found it... article still plugs to a magazine homepage instead of relevant article. .. neat story and clever magazine promo methinks!

Interesting... you make a good observation about the magazine promo, because it's curious that this would be popping up now after almost 4 years. I also found this:

http://michiganshipwrecks.org/

QuoteLittered on the bottom of the Great Lakes are the remains of more than 6,000 shipwrecks gone missing on the Great Lakes since the late 1600s when the first commercial sailing ships began plying the region, most during the heyday of commercial shipping in the nineteenth century. The vast expanse of these inland waterways provided a natural transportation system linking the Midwestern states and portions of Canada to the rest of the world.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 05:42:50 PM

Interesting... you make a good observation about the magazine promo, because it's curious that this would be popping up now after almost 4 years. I also found this:

QuoteLittered on the bottom of the Great Lakes are the remains of more than 6,000 shipwrecks gone missing on the Great Lakes since the late 1600s when the first commercial sailing ships began plying the region, most during the heyday of commercial shipping in the nineteenth century. The vast expanse of these inland waterways provided a natural transportation system linking the Midwestern states and portions of Canada to the rest of the world.

Would not be surprised if they found Rlyeh down there.

Maybe something....

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Stonehenge-in-Lake-Michigan.html

Lots of fluff about it in a simple Google search. Got a few IRL folks that may be able to clue me in on it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

THIS is what I came here to post about.

http://www.cnet.com/news/police-now-see-through-walls-and-know-if-youre-home/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

QuotePolice forces increasingly are taking advantage of the technology behind military equipment initially designed for combat...

He described the Range-R as a "hand-held Doppler radar device." He added: "It picks up breathing, human breathing and movement within a house."

"will penetrate most common building wall, ceiling or floor types -- including poured concrete, concrete block, brick, wood, stucco glass, adobe, dirt" -- the Radar-R does not work through metal. Moreover, if a wall is saturated with water, this also may reduce the device's effect. The device costs around $6,000. 

I suspect that this sort of bullshit, left unchecked, will ultimately lead to "reasonable" privacy becoming a commodity and produce a lucrative shadow market.

Also note that an unreasonable search is defined as

unreasonable search and seizure - Legal Definition n

An inspection or examination without legal authority (warrant) of a person's self, papers, or belongings, with a hope toward recovering stolen or illicit property or gathering incriminating evidence to be used against that person; the actual taking of that property into possession.

Security service companies that can 'ensure' this right may well be in the not too distant future. God help us if the protection against unreasonable S&S becomes a right of access to reasonable privacy. I hate how that word, reasonable, is in so much legal language. You can stretch reasonable in proportion to the irrationality of a culture.

Doppler is sneaky as shit but not undetectable by far.
If sensed and external cameras triggered, unless the US constitution is altered, you've got legally actionable intelligence on them. All they got out of it was knowing if there are people in your home. Also maybe a bath if you have the lawn sprinklers tied into the trigger too. (On a 2 minute delay... why spoil the show for the court?)

I could live with such a trade....  :evil:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 21, 2015, 04:32:21 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 05:42:50 PM

Would not be surprised if they found Rlyeh down there.

Maybe something....

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Stonehenge-in-Lake-Michigan.html

Lots of fluff about it in a simple Google search. Got a few IRL folks that may be able to clue me in on it.

That's really neat!

LMNO

Cain

Maybe.

Basically, this happened 21 years ago.

QuoteThe AMIA bombing was an attack on the Asociación Mutual Israelita Argentina (AMIA; Argentine Israelite Mutual Association) building. It occurred in Buenos Aires on July 18, 1994, killing 85 people and injuring hundreds.[3] It was Argentina's deadliest bombing ever. Argentina is home to a Jewish community of 200,000, the largest in Latin America and sixth in the world outside Israel (see Demographics of Argentina).[4]

Over the years, the case has been marked by incompetence and accusations of cover-ups. All suspects in the "local connection" (among them, many members of the Buenos Aires Provincial Police) were found to be "not guilty" in September 2004. In August 2005, federal judge Juan José Galeano, in charge of the case, was impeached and removed from his post on a charge of "serious" irregularities due to mishandling of the investigation.[5] In 2005, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would later become Pope Francis, was the first public personality to sign a petition for justice in the AMIA bombing case. He was one of the signatories on a document called "85 victims, 85 signatures" as part of the bombing's 11th anniversary.[6]

On October 25, 2006, Argentine prosecutors Alberto Nisman and Marcelo Martínez Burgos formally accused the government of Iran of directing the bombing, and the Hezbollah militia of carrying it out.[7][8] According to the prosecution's claims in 2006, Argentina had been targeted by Iran after Buenos Aires' decision to suspend a nuclear technology transfer contract to Tehran.[9] This has been disputed because the contract was never terminated, and Iran and Argentina were negotiating on restoration of full cooperation on all agreements from early 1992 until 1994, when the bombing occurred.[10]

However:

QuoteThe central piece of evidence cited in Nisman's original 900-page arrest warrant against seven senior Iranian leaders is an alleged Aug. 14, 1993 meeting of top Iranian leaders, including both Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and then president Hashemi Rafsanjani, at which Nisman claims the official decision was made to go ahead with the planning of the bombing of the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association (AMIA).

But the document, recently available in English for the first time, shows that his only sources for the claim were representatives of the MEK or People's Mujahideen of Iran. The MEK has an unsavory history of terrorist bombings against civilian targets in Iran, as well as of serving as an Iraq-based mercenary army for Saddam Hussein's forces during the Iran-Iraq War.

And according to the same author:

QuoteWilliam Brencick, who was then chief of the political section at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires and the primary Embassy contact for the investigation of the AMIA bombing, told me in an interview in June 2007 that the U.S. conviction about Iranian culpability was based on what he called a "wall of assumptions" — a wall that obstructed an objective analysis of the case.

The first assumption was that it was a suicide bombing, and that such an operation pointed to Hezbollah, and therefore Iran. But the evidence produced to support that assumption was highly suspect. Of 200 initial eyewitnesses to the bombing, only one claimed to have seen the white Renault van that was supposed to have been the suicide car. And the testimony of that lone witness was contradicted by her sister, who said that she had seen only a black and yellow taxicab.

That is only the first of many indications that the official version of how the bombing went down was a tissue of lies.

His full investigation into the bombing can be read here.

In short, Iran and Hezbollah are the prime "official" suspects.  However, there are good reasons to believe they may not have been guilty.  Whoever did carry out the bombing is, of course the prime suspect for the murder of the public prosecutor.