News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

what does....

Started by Mangrove, February 13, 2007, 08:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJRubberducky

I may be mistaken in my analogy, but I think the original Principia Discordia is like the Torah, and we're writing the Talmud.  IIRC, and I'm too lazy to Wiki for it, one function of the Talmud is to help make sure the message and intent of the Torah persists as new situations arise.  They've now got commentary in there about whether or not it's okay to ride a bicycle on the Sabbath - something they'd never have known to worry about umpteen millenia ago.

And isn't that exactly what we're doing?  We're taking what we consider the most important messages of the PD and rephrasing them to make sure that today's people can still "get it" if they choose to try.  We're trying to keep them from eating the menu, as it were.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

Woots and mittens to the DJ.

Triple Zero

woa, they do that with the talmud/torah? vette shit!

so what we learn now, is that even keeping your religion "liquid" like that, is not enough to keep it from sucking?

also, good explanaiton.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Also the Zohar.

Esoteric Kabbalistic ranting about the Torah.  Good stuff.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on February 14, 2007, 03:17:02 PM
woa, they do that with the talmud/torah? vette shit!

so what we learn now, is that even keeping your religion "liquid" like that, is not enough to keep it from sucking?

also, good explanaiton.

hey, I gotta say that a religion with an entire class of scholar devoted to arguing points in the bible for their entire lives is pretty cool.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: DJRubberducky on February 14, 2007, 03:11:16 PM
I may be mistaken in my analogy, but I think the original Principia Discordia is like the Torah, and we're writing the Talmud.  IIRC, and I'm too lazy to Wiki for it, one function of the Talmud is to help make sure the message and intent of the Torah persists as new situations arise.  They've now got commentary in there about whether or not it's okay to ride a bicycle on the Sabbath - something they'd never have known to worry about umpteen millenia ago.

And isn't that exactly what we're doing?  We're taking what we consider the most important messages of the PD and rephrasing them to make sure that today's people can still "get it" if they choose to try.  We're trying to keep them from eating the menu, as it were.

:mittens:

something worthy of the intro of the next pamphlet
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

(i meant sucking as in causing all this fundamentalistic burka dressup fanaticism)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Very few esoteric interpretations have ever lead to fanaticism.  In fact, only one comes to mind, the Assassins.

Triple Zero

so you say we should view the burkha bullshit and the demeaning treatment of women, as a separate issue from the islam itself?

because if discordianism ever starts causing suck like bullshit, we can write talmuds all we like, but something must have gone very wrong along the road of good intentions.

also, i wonder, does this Talmud also take back the stuff the torah said about not eating pork meat? (because really the disease this was supposed to prevent is not really an issue anymore) and the wearing of headscarfs? (whatever what that was instated for)

LHX

it looks like people need their individual Talmuds

and that word is sounding a lot like 'reality grid'

i have seen heated discussions about pork

versatility and adaptability is important
learning by trial and error is important
neat hell

Cain

I meant that, more generally, esoteric interpretations require critical thought, because of the implicit assumption things are not as they appear.  Most religious nuts are literalists, it must be said.

LMNO

Triple Zero, Talmud/Torah = Jewish, not Islam.

And, yes, you can separate Islam from it's most currently visible habits.  Again, Google "sufi".

LHX

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2007, 04:07:09 PM
Most religious nuts are literalists, it must be said.

true

Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 04:12:50 PM
And, yes, you can separate Islam from it's most currently visible habits.  Again, Google "sufi".

true
neat hell

Cain

Sufi's aren't as cool as Ishmaeli's.

Cain,
is the real Aga Khan, bitches.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2007, 04:17:40 PM
Sufi's aren't as cool as Ishmaeli's.

Cain,
is the real Aga Khan, bitches.
Google is not my friend.