News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

It's noon here on the West Coast, and my husband has the power tools out.  :horrormirth: So, before I go, here's the direct link to primary source material on the Crusades offered by Fordham online. Not all of them are complete, but they have an excellent collection, and it's all free to access. This site was a godsend to me through both my undergraduate and graduate studies.

https://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook1k.asp
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 08:13:14 PM
That's what I thought. I just wondered if all the Masonic clubs were Glorified LARPers like the DeMolay people apparently are. I've been told that Masons are super ritualistic, and I've been told that they're not like that at all and that that was mainly Templars and DeMolay. And I don't know who to believe. Although, only one person was actually ever involved. But they also killed cats as a kid and blamed it on their brother. So, I don't know what all I can trust from that person.

It can depend a lot, but most of the mainstream Masonic Lodges are somewhat ritualistic in their initiation and grading ceremonies, but not much else.

It does depend on how far they are along the sliding scale of "talking shop for old men" and "people who think they can revive the glories of the Templars through Neo-Nazi politics", though most tend towards the reasonable end of that scale.

Junkenstein

Quote from: SuuCal on July 04, 2016, 08:13:49 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 08:02:12 PM
Had battlefield understanding reached "carry weapons" yet? I seem to remember the people's crusades getting into fights and always getting massacred due everyone being too poor to afford weapons/armour/food.

Depends. Remember there was no such thing as a standing army or munitions grade weapons until the later Medieval period, so not until the 13th/14th centuries, when lessons had been learned because of the Crusading period. The majority of men (and for that matter, women) that went to fight were nobles who could afford the armor and weapons. And I'm talking 1st born/2nd born, not the 5th born who was probably going to get nothing anyway.  When you read about things such as "People's Crusade" or "Peasants Crusade", those were nobodies who were trying to gain spiritual benefits because they had nothing else. The organized marches on Jerusalem were nobility.

Plenary indulgence certainly had a strong pull. Fucking Catholicism. The Orthodox Sees did not believe in indulgences, and still don't. This caused a lot of fucking problems when the Byzantines got involved. They just wanted territory back, fuck the Bishop of Rome. Alexios and Manuel did not give two shits, which is why the Latins did not give two shits when the Pope granted them reluctant permission to sack Constantinople "for God," even though they were misled by usurpers.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: SuuCal on July 04, 2016, 08:13:49 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 08:02:12 PM
Had battlefield understanding reached "carry weapons" yet? I seem to remember the people's crusades getting into fights and always getting massacred due everyone being too poor to afford weapons/armour/food.

Depends. Remember there was no such thing as a standing army or munitions grade weapons until the later Medieval period, so not until the 13th/14th centuries, when lessons had been learned because of the Crusading period. The majority of men (and for that matter, women) that went to fight were nobles who could afford the armor and weapons. And I'm talking 1st born/2nd born, not the 5th born who was probably going to get nothing anyway.  When you read about things such as "People's Crusade" or "Peasants Crusade", those were nobodies who were trying to gain spiritual benefits because they had nothing else. The organized marches on Jerusalem were nobility.

Plenary indulgence certainly had a strong pull. Fucking Catholicism. The Orthodox Sees did not believe in indulgences, and still don't. This caused a lot of fucking problems when the Byzantines got involved. They just wanted territory back, fuck the Bishop of Rome. Alexios and Manuel did not give two shits, which is why the Latins did not give two shits when the Pope granted them reluctant permission to sack Constantinople "for God," even though they were misled by usurpers.

Suu: Disappears from board to earn MA in history. Is unemployed, but can teach the Peedees.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

POFP

Quote from: Cain on July 04, 2016, 08:18:17 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 08:13:14 PM
That's what I thought. I just wondered if all the Masonic clubs were Glorified LARPers like the DeMolay people apparently are. I've been told that Masons are super ritualistic, and I've been told that they're not like that at all and that that was mainly Templars and DeMolay. And I don't know who to believe. Although, only one person was actually ever involved. But they also killed cats as a kid and blamed it on their brother. So, I don't know what all I can trust from that person.

It can depend a lot, but most of the mainstream Masonic Lodges are somewhat ritualistic in their initiation and grading ceremonies, but not much else.

It does depend on how far they are along the sliding scale of "talking shop for old men" and "people who think they can revive the glories of the Templars through Neo-Nazi politics", though most tend towards the reasonable end of that scale.

Oh, really? That's surprising. I was considering joining the Masons, but was shying away mainly because I assumed they were one or the other. If I don't join them, I may have to create my own organization for the betterment of humankind.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

Pretty much all Masonic groups are crying out for members today as well.

Junkenstein

With the dues they try to charge I'm not surprised. Paying for the tabbard club is probably one of the first things to go on a middle class income.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

POFP

Yeah, I forgot about dues. Might just go with my backup plan. Dues appear to me to be fundamental to scams and corruption. Especially since they may not do much for you at all in the long run. A few business connections, maybe? And they teach you The Way™? I don't think it's possible to be a Sucker™ and better humanity.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 09:14:07 PM
Yeah, I forgot about dues. Might just go with my backup plan. Dues appear to me to be fundamental to scams and corruption. Especially since they may not do much for you at all in the long run. A few business connections, maybe? And they teach you The Way™? I don't think it's possible to be a Sucker™ and better humanity.

I've met a few masons over the years and knew a couple pretty well. It's expensive horseshit. The short version is that members are supposed to help other members above non members (By which we mean corruption). If anyone cares I've got a few anecdotes but they're generally a rather dull lot.

POFP

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 10:19:09 PM

I've met a few masons over the years and knew a couple pretty well. It's expensive horseshit. The short version is that members are supposed to help other members above non members (By which we mean corruption). If anyone cares I've got a few anecdotes but they're generally a rather dull lot.

The question is, how lenient are they? I mean, if they are starving for people and do have connections that are worthwhile, and ones that are not easily achievable by simpler methods of contact, then it might be worth it. It sounds like they might have potential. If I got a few friends into the Masons, could we actually get shit done in a way that benefits society AND the group (Mostly Society.)? Or do you have to give more as you're capable of giving more? Because if I can get a few friends to surpass the bare minimum when it comes to dues, and we can take advantage of the connections and inner community, then the potential for greatness increases more.

If the Masons aren't really what I'm looking for, do you have any suggestions for organizations that would be?

I want to build a network of individuals who are patriotic, selfless, and willing to get involved in poor communities (This is obviously not a Mason kinda thing). I want a network of individuals that is truly dedicated to the betterment of humans, as a whole, and not just for the benefit of those within the group. And most of all, I want them to be branching out in all directions. I want people in the field of engineering, science, NOT Politics, community services, anthropology, and business. Polymaths with various skills and interests.

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on July 04, 2016, 04:56:14 PM
And this is where I mention there are contemporary reports of Knights Templar in Jerusalem defending Muslim pilgrims from more zealous Christians from Europe who tried to harass them.

That's cool. 

Also, Hey Nigel. 

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 10:35:57 PM

The question is, how lenient are they? I mean, if they are starving for people and do have connections that are worthwhile, and ones that are not easily achievable by simpler methods of contact, then it might be worth it. It sounds like they might have potential. If I got a few friends into the Masons, could we actually get shit done in a way that benefits society AND the group (Mostly Society.)? Or do you have to give more as you're capable of giving more? Because if I can get a few friends to surpass the bare minimum when it comes to dues, and we can take advantage of the connections and inner community, then the potential for greatness increases more.

If the Masons aren't really what I'm looking for, do you have any suggestions for organizations that would be?

I want to build a network of individuals who are patriotic, selfless, and willing to get involved in poor communities (This is obviously not a Mason kinda thing). I want a network of individuals that is truly dedicated to the betterment of humans, as a whole, and not just for the benefit of those within the group. And most of all, I want them to be branching out in all directions. I want people in the field of engineering, science, NOT Politics, community services, anthropology, and business. Polymaths with various skills and interests.

Why does patriotism have to be a part of it? The rest sounds pretty good, but patriotism is pure unmitigated bullshit.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on July 04, 2016, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 04, 2016, 04:56:14 PM
And this is where I mention there are contemporary reports of Knights Templar in Jerusalem defending Muslim pilgrims from more zealous Christians from Europe who tried to harass them.

That's cool. 

Also, Hey Nigel.

Hey!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Junkenstein

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 10:35:57 PM

The question is, how lenient are they? I mean, if they are starving for people and do have connections that are worthwhile(1), and ones that are not easily achievable by simpler methods of contact,(2) then it might be worth it. It sounds like they might have potential.(3) If I got a few friends into the Masons, could we actually get shit done in a way that benefits society AND the group (Mostly Society.)(4)?

1 - Depends vastly on the lodge and many/any open seats. You may meet some interesting people but it really just a dress up excuse with ceremonial leanings and food/drink. There's the charidee angle, but you could easily take the dues, eat and drink well for a year and throw some at a cause yourself so ... meh. The last dues bill I can remember was about 8K for the year(2008-ish?). No idea if this is normal, high, low, whatever. It did strike me as a remarkable sum to pay for membership to a club where you basically pray and chant a bit while wearing a pinny. I can sort that out for way less than 8 grand.

2 - People are people. You'd be surprised how easy people can be to contact if you actually try so ... meh.

3 - Personally, no. I'm not a big joining things guy though.

4 - You'll probably struggle to do this and there's better ways to spend money. If you're really into aprons though, go for it.