News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Loose Time in Fat City, part 4

Started by Doktor Howl, March 02, 2011, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: axod on March 03, 2012, 11:51:02 AM
"One of the most interesting things about loose time is that, while it gives you a good look at the past, it can also give you a few insights about the future."

Why?

Shall I just repost the entire piece for you special, or just tell you to read more than the first sentence?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is a fucking brilliant piece... I missed it last year.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 02, 2011, 07:51:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 02, 2011, 07:47:24 PM
Crushingly accurate analysis, if the public's education of marketing/memetics remains at a constant (which I am unreasonably optimistic it won't).

Also:
QuoteJerry Pournelle insists that peace is a fallacy that we develop because there are sometimes interludes between wars.

Damn.   :x

Education won't help, because advertisers have gotten smarter.  Previously, they shoved the images into your face blatantly (bikini-clad hotties draped over cars, etc).  Now they try to get you to mostly tune out the commercial, and let repetition do its job.  You don't even really listen, so you don't analyze.  You just, over time, begin to associate "Bluebell Ice Cream" with simpler, less-stressful times.  This forms an emotional - rather than an intellectual - bond between you and the product.

If the ads or packaging features fields, sunshine, trees, kids jumping into swimming holes and/or drinking lemonade with grandpa while sitting on haybales, front porches, rocking chairs, contented animals, smiling animals, hand-stitched quilts, horse-drawn carts, or guys in overalls, it usually came from either a lab or a feedlot.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division