News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Snowfall

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 07, 2013, 12:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 09, 2013, 09:56:08 PM
Freezing rain is the ABSOLUTE GODDAMN WORST. I was out shoveling in that crap once when I was a kid and ended up with a layer of ice on my shoulders.

THAT SHIT IS EVIL, I TELL YOU, EVIL. :crankey:

-Suu
Slid down her driveway this morning getting pelted in the face with that fucking shit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

I had to wear a windbreaker ALL DAY today.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 10, 2013, 01:14:40 AM

I think the moral here is we should live in Portland in the summer and Tuscon in the winter.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 10, 2013, 01:15:42 AM

I think the moral here is we should live in Portland in the summer and Tuscon in the winter.

Yes.  Be a snowbird.  We welcome snowbirds.  Oh, yes.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

I think there's a problem with your plan.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 10, 2013, 01:28:46 AM

I think there's a problem with your plan.

"leave Tucson".

:lulz:

Q. G. Pennyworth

Curses, foiled by Tuscon again  :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on December 10, 2013, 01:09:09 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 06:38:46 PM
Yeah, sometimes it's just that slushy snow crap, which usually melts off pretty quick. Every once in a while it's freezing rain, where it makes everything it touches into an ice sculpture. I don't think we've had a serious amount of that since 2004 though.

THINKING ABOUT DRIVING?

LOLNOPE, CANNOT OPEN CAR.

That's...impressive.  :eek:

That is what freezing rain looks like here. It's why we fear it.

NOPE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

PORTLAND:

WE DON'T ALWAYS GET FREEZING RAIN, BUT WHEN WE DO, IT'S THE FUCKING ICEPOCALYPSE.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It isn't as fun as it looks. Unfortunately, the last time it happened was about ten years ago, and it's a particularly cold winter. Maybe tomorrow I'll stock up on meat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Ice is never fun. Ever. Do you have crampons/ice walkers? Probably a dumb question considering this doesn't happen frequently for you guys, but if your winter is going to be like this, they aren't a bad investment. I have a pair of Yaktrax (they look like springs on rubber you pull over your shoes) that I got from Big Lots or something on the cheap. If you can't find them out there, let me know and I can go grab you a few pairs.

Q. G. Pennyworth

We had this happen in 08:

And you can still see the tree damage from that. I can't even imagine how bad Portland's must have been in comparison.

Suu

That was the big ice storm that knocked out power for two weeks, right? It didn't hit us (thankfully) but you didn't have to drive very far north from here to see the effects. Pretty much just right over the border in MA and it was a war zone. :(

That was a particularly nasty year. I saw people walking across the Charles River.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Yeah, that's the one. My folks were without power for almost the full two weeks, but the ex is on the same part of the grid as the emergency shelter in his town, so they got to be best friends for a bit.

From the looks of it, the other one is probably about two more inches of ice.  :shudder: