News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Discordianism to Me

Started by Churro the Viscous, April 06, 2008, 06:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Requiem on June 22, 2008, 02:48:23 AM
I completely failed to get the point the PD was making, and took it at mostly face value, as a piece of absurdism and/or a particularly psychotic branch of paganism....

Ironically, it was apparently Discordian co-creator Kerry Thornley who coined the term paganism, at least as it's used today.
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

Verbal Mike

Seriously? Can you give a source on that? Because I find that fascinating.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Quote from: Verbatim on June 23, 2008, 09:12:17 AM

He invented the term Neo-Paganism, according to Maraget Adler (sp?) in Drawing the Moon, one of the primary sources on Pagan religions in America.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on June 23, 2008, 06:53:31 AM
Quote from: Requiem on June 22, 2008, 02:48:23 AM
I completely failed to get the point the PD was making, and took it at mostly face value, as a piece of absurdism and/or a particularly psychotic branch of paganism....

Ironically, it was apparently Discordian co-creator Kerry Thornley who coined the term paganism, at least as it's used today.
Quote from: Verbatim on June 23, 2008, 09:12:17 AM

Hopefully I won't get flamed for posting another link, but as you asked...

http://www.amazon.com/Prankster-Conspiracy-Thornley-Inspired-Counterculture/dp/193104466X says 'He coined the term "paganism" to describe various nature religions.'  You can buy Thornley's excellent book (which tells more about the background of Discordianism than any book I know of) there, or through some Discordian website or other I won't link to else I'll get flamed.

Reverend "discordia.Uncle BadTouch.org/store" Uncle BadTouch

"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com