News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Let's argue about pointless awards for subjective things!

Started by LMNO, October 09, 2014, 02:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees:

Green Day
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Chic
Kraftwerk
Marvelettes
NWA
Nine Inch Nails
Lou Reed
The Smiths
The Spinners
Sting
Stevie Ray Vaughn
War
Bill Withers

Lou, Kraftwerk, and NWA, for sure deserve it. Chic and Withers? It would be nice, but not holding my breath. NIN, maybe.  Joan Jett should punch Sting and Green Day in their collective throats.

Raz Tech

The Police are already in the Hall of Fame, and I'm not particularly fond of Sting's solo career.

Lou Reed is one of the most influential figures in rock and roll history, so it seems he should be a no-brainer.

NWA seems like it would be another obvious choice.
I also love Bill Withers, and would be pretty sad to see him not make it.

Stevie Ray Vaughan strikes me as another huge musician, and one of the best guitarists of all time.

NIN I'm not a huge fan of, but I would be behind them based on the fact that they are THE industrial band.  Like if anybody could single-handedly define that genre, it would be NIN.  By that token, however, Green Day could be seen as THE pop-punk band, with both critical and commercial success, sometimes even both at once.  So while it seems disgraceful to put the likes of Green Day in the same hall as say, The Band, or Muddy Waters, or other awesome musicians, you can't deny that they are, in fact, a rock and roll band, and that they have been somewhat influential and successful.

Kind of on the fence about Paul Butterfield.  I like him, but I'm not sure he had enough of a career to really consider his career amazing.  He did some amazing blues though.

I don't feel strongly one way or another about the rest of them.

Eater of Clowns

I'd only support NIN entering because it's the only way Trent Reznor will be getting in, and like him or not the man is a musician through and through.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

The fragile is one of my favorite albums, but beyond that I've always found NIN disappointing. Trent Renzor on his own has had some amazing stuff.

Lou Reed is the only other one on the list that I've listened to a lot of his stuff, the others I'd just know of the radio.

I don't know anything about music, disregard this post.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Well, if we're doing "definitive" bands, The Smiths should get in.

And it's a crime that Green Day should get in before the Buzzcocks do.

LMNO

Oh, and Ministry would like to have a word about the whole "Industrial" speil up there.

As would KMFDM. And Pigface.

Raz Tech

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 09, 2014, 04:29:57 PM
Oh, and Ministry would like to have a word about the whole "Industrial" speil up there.

As would KMFDM. And Pigface.

Woah man.

I didn't say they were the only industrial band.  In fact, I like Ministry far more than I like NIN.  What I'm trying to say is that the way I see it, NIN is more in the spotlight, bringing industrial to a wider audience, influencing more people, and all that jazz.  I would also consider NIN to be a more diverse band musically, and since I'm getting all subjective now, Ministry's first few albums were synth-pop garbage.

KMFDM I can't argue against.

Pigface was kind of just leftovers from Ministry.

Also I have no idea what criteria the Hall of Fame uses when selecting which bands actually get inducted.  Probably just middle-aged white men on a board or something, so I couldn't even begin to guess who actually gets in.

LMNO

Heh. Just living up to thread title. Also, I'm kind of a dick about music. It's a thing.

But "Pigface is leftover Ministry" is simply wrong. "Martin Atkins' Garden of Sycophantic Delights" would be more apt, really.

Raz Tech

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 09, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
Heh. Just living up to thread title.

Yeah I figured :lol:

There's a bunch of bands I'd like to see in there, if for no other reason than I like them a whole bunch more than I like some of the bands who have gotten in.
like Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Little Feat, or The Marshall Tucker Band.

I'd also really like to see King Crimson inducted, but I think a lot of people forget how badass they are.  I'd also like to see how they would select which members of the band they would invite, because they've had a ton of different people since they became a band.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Telarus

Slightly Stoopid. Lots of various rock genres, but most with a hawaiian+reggae tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ZfcqUczXc
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've heard of most of those bands/musicians, so that's saying something.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

These bands are all wankers. Wake me up when Miley's on the list.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Sting?  STING?

Even Green Day have more right to be on that list than Sting, as a solo artist, does.