News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

If you assholes insist on turning PD.com into a forum about feminism...

Started by East Coast Hustle, September 07, 2012, 04:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I just wonder why there are so many threads about it I the general forum instead of tfys or it's own subforum.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Probably because most people look at the Beautiful Cock first, and then go to other subforums.

Faust

I see, so people will suddenly lose interest in this topic of it is on another catagory.

LMNO

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 07, 2012, 07:06:53 PM
Not necessarily, it's more of a default.

It's a general forum though with five to ten threads on the same topic constantly rising to the top.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 07, 2012, 07:05:25 PM
I see, so people will suddenly lose interest in this topic of it is on another catagory.

I stopped using OKM because OKM was originally created as a ghetto to get the rants out of the way in AT, because they were interfering with the cookies and pie stabbity stabbity tequila threads.

If I had my way, there would be 5 boards.  PD, AT, TYFS, cooking, and meta.  In fact, I'd probably make PD a subforum of AT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 07:09:34 PM

I stopped using OKM because OKM was originally created as a ghetto to get the rants out of the way in AT, because they were interfering with the cookies and pie stabbity stabbity tequila threads.

If I had my way, there would be 5 boards.  PD, AT, TYFS, cooking, and meta.  In fact, I'd probably make PD a subforum of AT.

this is good. i support this. altho, if we're just throwing ideas out there i would say

AT
  PD
  OMF
  THIS WEEK'S DRAMA LLAMA
  COOKING

TFYS
  OMF
  PROJECT BOARD

META
  REASONS WHY VEX IS A GOD
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 07:09:34 PM

There's forums that Barely get used any more( rpg ghetto I'm looking at you. )

The Dark Monk

Quote from: vexThe tragedy from my perspective is that nobody at PD would be considered antifeminism from any reasonable standpoint, but sometimes the arguments reach the kind of fevered pitch that would normally only be appropriate between a person who supports feminism and a person who supports the patriarchy outright. There are always going to be differences in opinion and approach, because there are differences in experience and understanding. We should pride ourselves on our ability to bridge those gaps in a meaningful way, not our ability to expound upon them at great length.
Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 07, 2012, 05:15:39 PM
FWIW, I'm learning a lot from these threads but at some points it gets gets difficult wading through the noise to get to the good stuff.  I'm not bitching about it as I understand the nature of the place but on a practical level, it can be challenging.  And like, I find myself reading through a lot of the derails hoping at some point it'll become valuable...as it has a couple of times...but then an hour goes by and I think, "what's the point?"

Roger, I notice you will objectively outline your perspective on a derail from time to time and I think that helps pull the conversation back to a constructive progression...and i appreciate that.  I'll end up giving up on a thread, skipping forward to a post like that and then continue on. 
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 05:32:55 PM

I'm not seeing "sides".  I'm seeing "poor communication", as everyone shouts past each other.  This is caused by people reading what they EXPECT the other person to say, rather than what the other person actually said.

And that is indeed a problem.

These 3 about sum it up for me. Though to be honest the feminism threads DID in fact make me look at things in a very different way and examine the damage of a patriarchy in general. I honestly didn't think that far until it started. Then two weeks later, I felt like we were beating a dead horse, running circles in semantics, on top of hurt feelings which clouds the information. So I stopped looking at it for a while to give myself a break from it.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Cain

I've already said everything I intend to say on the subject.  I'm not overly fond of repeating myself, so I don't really take part in these discussions anymore.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on September 07, 2012, 06:48:36 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 07, 2012, 05:06:25 PM
I'll go one step further and say that the fact that there even appear to BE "sides" is indicative of a serious problem.

Yes. Well, I have noticed a definite emergence of a tendency for people to act as if there are "sides", and one of the hallmarks of that is quoting one person's post but actually arguing against something someone else entirely said. When we get to the point where we're all interchangeable, there's no point in continuing.

The tragedy from my perspective is that nobody at PD would be considered antifeminism from any reasonable standpoint, but sometimes the arguments reach the kind of fevered pitch that would normally only be appropriate between a person who supports feminism and a person who supports the patriarchy outright. There are always going to be differences in opinion and approach, because there are differences in experience and understanding. We should pride ourselves on our ability to bridge those gaps in a meaningful way, not our ability to expound upon them at great length.

For my part, I'm staying away from the Feminism Per Se discussion, because I made a fool of myself typing a lot of words from a place of misunderstanding and crude assumption before, and I need to learn a lot more about the subject before I pretend to have anything like a "position" on the matter. And I'll learn a lot more by listening than by firing a barrage of my own ideas at people who already have a hard enough time being heard.

For the record I don't think anyone's trying to turn PD into a forum about feminism any more than it is a forum about politics or the humanities. Feminism is a recurring theme lately, but it isn't a transformative theme. Maybe Feminism is the next subject PD is working on. It snuck up like the BIP did, after all, and I think an entire class of people who are still treated as second class citizens in many ways is as good a subject for this board to work out as any of the other subjects we work out. That it arouses almost violent reactions among us is a good thing, I think, as long as we all remember nobody is fighting for The Other Side, we're just fighting to understand each other.

Good points, especially the bolded.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on September 07, 2012, 07:08:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 07, 2012, 07:06:53 PM
Not necessarily, it's more of a default.

It's a general forum though with five to ten threads on the same topic constantly rising to the top.

I think I posted mine in Aneristic Illusions.

Where it's posted doesn't matter to me though, I always read by "Show Unread Posts".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 05:01:58 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 04:57:52 PM
We already talked about this privately, but I should probably say it out here too: I find that I feel like my arguments get lumped in with theirs, as if they represent my perspective, and then it's like I'm on their side vs. the other side, which is not a productive or particularly accurate description of my position.

Not with me.  I don't tend to lump anyone together in these things.  You have a reasoned approach that leads to excessive NIGELING, and that hurts my butt.  Garbo has a lot of good ideas, but gets frustrated easily.  Pixie says some awesome shit, but she's still finding her way around the subject.  Signora Paesor is looking for a fight.  ECH isn't going to take anyone's shit, Vex says some good stuff, but can't seem to help antagonistic "jokes".  Me, I'm just a befuddled biped who limps along trying to keep up.

THIS.

Also, of the roughly 50% of the population who are men, there's a HUGE portion who treat us like humans/are gay/are disinterested for whatever other reason/are interested but don't try to run all over us/whatever, leaving a small but obnoxious faction that I don't cnsider representative of "men".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

Gay men can be hella dismissive of women, it should be pointed out.

Some of the most mysognistic shit I have ever heard has come from the mouths of gay dudes.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 07, 2012, 11:59:00 PM
Gay men can be hella dismissive of women, it should be pointed out.

Some of the most mysognistic shit I have ever heard has come from the mouths of gay dudes.

Same, and not just isolated to a few individuals, a hell of a lot of gay guys are like this for whatever wierd reason.