News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

HOWL, YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS!

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 24, 2015, 10:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/05/new-neural-implant-reads-a-persons-intentions-to-control-robotic-arm/

QuoteErik Sorto, 34, has been paralysed from the neck down for the past 13 years. However, thanks to a ground-breaking clinical trial, he has been able to smoothly drink a bottle of beer using a robotic arm controlled with a brain implant. He isn't the first patient to control an arm with a neural prosthetic device. But this represents the first time the implant was placed in a region of the brain thought to control the intention to perform movements, rather than the ensuing mechanics of movement. This difference created surprisingly natural movements and has the potential to work for multiple robotic limbs.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 24, 2015, 10:13:22 PM
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/05/new-neural-implant-reads-a-persons-intentions-to-control-robotic-arm/

QuoteErik Sorto, 34, has been paralysed from the neck down for the past 13 years. However, thanks to a ground-breaking clinical trial, he has been able to smoothly drink a bottle of beer using a robotic arm controlled with a brain implant. He isn't the first patient to control an arm with a neural prosthetic device. But this represents the first time the implant was placed in a region of the brain thought to control the intention to perform movements, rather than the ensuing mechanics of movement. This difference created surprisingly natural movements and has the potential to work for multiple robotic limbs.

This is amazing.  My dad was friends with a guy that did some ground-breaking work on spinal-bypass devices, but that was a hell of a lot more primitive than this.

Molon Lube

Cain

This is how it starts.

Then it's "we must kill all humans to save living life in the universe" and "plug in the Skynet" and "your base are belong to us".  And then the wailing, and lamentations.

Dubya

I was thinking more RoboCop and I, Robot.

"You gotta read the fine print on the organ donor card"
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on May 25, 2015, 04:41:46 PM
This is how it starts.

Then it's "we must kill all humans to save living life in the universe" and "plug in the Skynet" and "your base are belong to us".  And then the wailing, and lamentations.
Quote from: Dubya on May 25, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
I was thinking more RoboCop and I, Robot.

"You gotta read the fine print on the organ donor card"

I think a Forbidsen Planet thing would be more likely with something like this; or Forbodden Planet crossed with The Evil Dead. Like if they move the implant location further down the line "This part's responsible for considering whether to move your arm or not" "and this part's responsible for the idea that you might want to consider moving your arm" and so on until the arm moves completely at the behest of preconscious desires
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

hooplala

I'm pleased the first thing this technology was used for was to crack some suds.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 25, 2015, 09:26:15 PM
I'm pleased the first thing this technology was used for was to crack some suds.

It was right and fitting.