News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Does power corrupt or enable?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 18, 2015, 09:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was researching power-trippers today, and stumbled upon this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22250668

If you can't open that link, Google the author's name and you should find her website, it's available to read free there.

This research seems interesting and important; it seems directly relevant to discussions we have had about bad leadership, and the desire to impose an ideology over others even when it comes at a net social expense.

I'd write more but I'm sitting in a doctors office right now so it will have to wait... I just wanted to post that link before I forgot.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

I've only read the abstract, but this does sound fascinating. I will hopefully remember to read the paper in more detail this weekend after my life calms down again.

I am curious, though, whether power is defined strictly in the article proper or in psychology in general? A significant part of my second and third year at university was spent trying to define and then pin down how to analyse power. As a concept (particularly in political discussions) it isn't always easy to figure out. I'm guessing power in this context refers to a relationship of control?

Also - which of the four authors should we google? The site wants money for it (which... I'm not necessarily against, if some of it goes back to the authors) but if it is available for free elsewhere I'm guessing that's not the case?
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Interesting read.  I'd say that personality has a lot to do with it.

However, Garth Ennis had something to say about this that's worth noting:

"Power corrupts.  Absolute power brings the absolute certainty of becoming a complete cunt."
Molon Lube

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks for posting the direct link, I'm not sure anyone here would have been smart enough to click to it from the link to her homepage.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 19, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
Thanks for posting the direct link, I'm not sure anyone here would have been smart enough to click to it from the link to her homepage.
uhm. :oops:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 19, 2015, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 19, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
uhm. :oops:

Me too :sad: BUT reading paper now  :)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Posting to remember to read. Initial reaction, surely Power enables corruption?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

President Television

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 20, 2015, 08:51:07 PM
Posting to remember to read. Initial reaction, surely Power enables corruption?

The tricky part is that pretty much every political system rewards corruption with power. Not explicitly, of course, but it seems far easier to acquire in the first place when you have a low moral identity to begin with.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on February 20, 2015, 10:53:58 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 18, 2015, 11:03:32 PM
The primary, DeCelles. I'm on a real computer now, so here's her website: http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/FacultyAndResearch/Faculty/FacultyBios/DeCelles.aspx

All of her research topics are pretty badass.

Bookmarked!

Yeah, she is good. So random that I just sort of found her accidentally!

Eater of Clowns

Damn, this is a fairly straightforward paper and I am so out of the habit of reading academic work that I can barely digest it. I'm going to have to come back to it later. It's interesting stuff, but it's been a solid seven years since I've sunk my teeth into research.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.