News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on June 13, 2014, 03:06:58 PM
I think the ark just went by.

RAIN GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE TO THEE?

Nothing.  I have it on cruise control.  Is this a problem?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I just finished up what will probably be my coolest term with Investigations and Interviewing. In a couple of weeks I start my class on IP Law. That should hopefully at least have some interesting discussions.

Also, I've got an improv class. I don't like improv much (at least not watching it), but I'm looking at it as a way to network with the local theatre community.

All this as I ponder heading back east to be closer to my kiddos again at the end of the term...

And that would pretty much be all the updating I can't put on Facebook. I hope you enjoyed, PD.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 13, 2014, 08:09:12 PM

All this as I ponder heading back east to be closer to my kiddos again at the end of the term...

Enjoy!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2014, 08:02:04 PM

Oh, well, that would explain A LOT, actually. Seriously, because it's been deluging here since 6am practically non-stop.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

minuspace

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 13, 2014, 08:09:12 PM

Also, I've got an improv class. I don't like improv much (at least not watching it), but I'm looking at it as a way to network with the local theatre community.

Also a good way to get your rocks off/ya-yas out.  Play time. :lulz:

Salty

I am starting to level out, I think. Still with the mood swings, but they are less violent. Especially when I remember that me and other humans do not mix well. Best to keep distance.

Been studing anatomy and physiology with free time and reading about the Renessaince. Someday I may even have something worthwhile to say.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

UB

Quote from: Alty on June 13, 2014, 11:30:59 PM
I am starting to level out, I think. Still with the mood swings, but they are less violent. Especially when I remember that me and other humans do not mix well. Best to keep distance.

Been studing anatomy and physiology with free time and reading about the Renessaince. Someday I may even have something worthwhile to say.

:)   the more I read the less I find worthwhile to listen to, it seems.  Some of us are just "book lovers" and perhaps not ever meant to mingle with people, generally speaking.
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Suu

Need some book recommendations? I study several centuries prior to the Renaissance but I got a few laying around I think you could like.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 13, 2014, 07:27:50 AM
Somehow, I got an A in chemistry. I'm actually kind of stunned by this, because I know the score I got on the second midterm and the only way I could have gotten an A is if I got an improbably high score on the ACS. Even that's a stretch. I know I got 100% on all but one lab so maybe the labs were weighted more heavily than I thought they were.

Yay, chemistry! Thank you for being FUCKING OVER.

Nigel's killin' it!

:cheers:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on June 12, 2014, 03:30:17 PM
So my mom decided to send me, my brother and sister a letter one of my half-brothers sent my Father. Right off the bat, I have a feeling my dad doesn't know she did since, since I'm sure if he really wanted me to see it, he would have sent it himself. It essentially boils down to my half-siblings sounding upset that since the divorce, my (our) father hasn't been as involved in their lives as he has with his "new" family, which may or may not be due in part to (or at least encouraged by) my mother.

It sounded sincere, wasn't unnecessarily hostile, even to an extent lamenting that both sides of the family weren't closer, but I know my mother expects me to somehow be outraged by what "his horrible kids said now". I know there are two sides to every divorce, and I was barely alive when all of this was happening, so I don't know who said what or made what efforts or whatever (though I know it should be the responsibility of the adult to reach out to the kids/teenagers), I have no clue what his ex-wife was like. I love my parents, but no-one's perfect, as my mom seems to think. Has my father neglected those relationships? Possibly. Have his kids said/done some hurtful things in more recent years? Possibly. But was there reason for it? Maybe. Has my mother been unnecessarily hostile (even if not overtly) to them? Probably. Did it stem from something that happened when I was too young to remember? Maybe, but I also know she doesn't seem to make any effort to see things from their side.

The main point being, WHY THE FUCK would she show me this? I'm not going to come out and call my Dad a neglectful asshole because I don't know what he may or may not have done or tried to do. But I'm not going to call my half-brother an asshole for what...wishing his father had a bigger part in his life, his siblings and their children? WTF. Hell my boyfriend's on the other end of this - his dad was fairly absent from his and his brother's lives after their parents divorce and he seems to be flourishing with his new kids. And to an extent seems to be making more of an effort to be involved in his sons' lives. So I see both sides of the coin here.

I can only hope I will not have to deal with this on Father's Day, since I don't think my dad knows I've seen it, so I doubt my mom will bring it up.

I'm sorry to hear this, and I hope it all goes well.

At the end of the day, your father's relationship with your half siblings is his business and his business alone. It's not your mom's business, and it's not her business to drag you into it. Because at the end of the day your relationship with your half-siblings is your business and your business alone also, and none of those factors should have any bearing on your relationship with your father and your half-siblings, whatever they may be.

What it DOES have bearing on, is your relationship with your mother, since she's, I guess for a lack of a better term, stirring shit. What's her motive here? Why's it your business, and why is it hers?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on June 13, 2014, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on June 12, 2014, 07:55:26 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on June 12, 2014, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 12, 2014, 05:35:10 PM
Trippin', your mom sounds like an insecure manipulative toxic person and I'm sorry both that she's interfered with your father's relationship with your half-siblings and that she's trying to use you as a tool to generate more misery and drama.

I'm seeing this more and more and I hate it because I see the good in her too. But it's not like it hasn't been turned in my direction before, even if not often. I just really don't get it. Like I said it leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. I need to put my foot down on the negativity. I can't, and don't want to, deal with this shit.

I grew up in the middle of a bitter divorce. My parents couldn't help themselves. Me and my kid sister were used as weapons constantly.  It's not fair and it sucks but it's not really their fault. Butthurt causes rage and irrationality. Doesn't make them bad people. Only weak.

True, I know emotions, especially in situations like divorce, can often tend to override the ability to reason or attempt to do what's best for what's all involved. See all kinds of divorces that come through the office I work in, with and without kids, from the "let's just get this done" to almost 10 years after the divorce and can still barely find it in them to act civil for the benefit of the kids, and at least one of the kids is pretty screwed up because of it. I was barely alive at the time my dad and his ex got divorced, so really can't make any judgment calls on it (although ideally it should be up to the adult to reach out to the kids, etc.).

What gets me now, is almost 30 years later, no longer "heat of the moment", my mom going behind my dad's back and spreading a letter from one of his kids, which should be none of my or my siblings' business, to show how she, and to an extent, my dad, is being slighted by what, to me, sound like one of his sons lamenting not having a closer relationship with his father (or his son having a relationship w/ his grandfather), explaining where some of his anger and bitterness is coming from. If my dad decided to bring this letter up to us, say why something was or wasn't true, or how HE felt about it, etc., I would feel a bit differently about the situation.

Did your mom ever consider that you or your full siblings would bring this to HIS attention?

What's his reaction going to be for that, if he were to find out?

Presumably, she's thinking that you're all going to take her side, whatever it may be. But that's some incredibly messed up stuff right there. If there's beef between two family members, or three, it's only with those involved. Involving others messes things up further and makes you look like a dick. I dunno, my mind is going in a lot of different directions at the same time, but... It's just me, but if I were in your position, I'd give Dad a heads up that his notes are getting read and passed around. His privacy is wicked compromised here.

Salty

Quote from: The Suu on June 14, 2014, 02:02:18 AM

Need some book recommendations? I study several centuries prior to the Renaissance but I got a few laying around I think you could like.

Sounds good, blast me with the past, Suu. Blast me with it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2014, 08:02:04 PM

Let it run.  Suits my mood this weekend.

Sunday is gonna just suck.

Might try to beat a rant out of it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Alty on June 14, 2014, 03:33:24 AM
Quote from: The Suu on June 14, 2014, 02:02:18 AM

Sounds good, blast me with the past, Suu. Blast me with it.

Let me go through my collection this weekend and I'll shoot you a PM.