News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

EHNIX: Evolving a Grass-Roots Fractal Syndicalistic Holarchy under Subsidiaty

Started by Ixxie, August 31, 2013, 03:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ixxie on September 04, 2013, 03:57:47 PM
I should have listened to the #discord peeps. I won't attempt productivity here again.

Go on, then.  Let them wipe your tears.

This is why I take so long to get attached to noobs.  They're flimsy, these days, and go all to pieces at the slightest excuse.

Trip and Cram say he's a good guy.  I don't doubt that for a moment.

But he's not a rock n roller.  He isn't ready for the coming weird times, in this glorious mess we call "the 21st Century".

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Facemeat on September 05, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: Pæs on September 05, 2013, 10:08:30 AM
Quote from: Ixxie on September 04, 2013, 03:57:47 PMI made an sincere attempt to communicating an idea because I thought this might be a place where productive dialogue occurs... I won't attempt productivity here again.

For the record, this part of the post made me brace for shit-throwing.

Yep.

Also, the guy uses a lot of jargon language while also using a lot of language wrong, which is a distressingly unreadable combination.  I assume it is largely because English is a second language for him, but it is exhausting to parse nonetheless and when you add the attitude (which I could be interpreting mistakenly, but which appears to be fairly well-communicated in the above quote) that he is believes that our difficulty parsing his writing is due to his academic and intellectual superiority, I definitely start to get a "fuck this" feeling.

I also am not sold on the argument that what he says makes perfect sense to a PhD level theoretical biologist. The problems I have noticed with language persist regardless of the educational level of the reader.

"Theoretical Biologist" is a thing?

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 05, 2013, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: Facemeat on September 05, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: Pæs on September 05, 2013, 10:08:30 AM
Quote from: Ixxie on September 04, 2013, 03:57:47 PMI made an sincere attempt to communicating an idea because I thought this might be a place where productive dialogue occurs... I won't attempt productivity here again.

For the record, this part of the post made me brace for shit-throwing.

Yep.

Also, the guy uses a lot of jargon language while also using a lot of language wrong, which is a distressingly unreadable combination.  I assume it is largely because English is a second language for him, but it is exhausting to parse nonetheless and when you add the attitude (which I could be interpreting mistakenly, but which appears to be fairly well-communicated in the above quote) that he is believes that our difficulty parsing his writing is due to his academic and intellectual superiority, I definitely start to get a "fuck this" feeling.

I also am not sold on the argument that what he says makes perfect sense to a PhD level theoretical biologist. The problems I have noticed with language persist regardless of the educational level of the reader.

"Theoretical Biologist" is a thing?

Totally. As you might expect, they never look at the organisms. Everything is done with computer models. A large part is modeling epidemics these days.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 05, 2013, 04:35:01 PM
Epidemics are interesting.

In about 4 different ways that I can think of, and I'm not even an expert or anything.

1.  The mathematical progression, from "patient zero" to burn out.
2.  The public reaction to the perceived threat level, as compared to the actual threat level.
3.  The reaction to the CDC by congress and the president when the disease is perceived as only targeting minority groups (AIDS, etc).
4.  The expectation of zombies.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2013, 04:39:26 PM

In about 4 different ways that I can think of, and I'm not even an expert or anything.

2.  The public reaction to the perceived threat level, as compared to the actual threat level.
3.  The reaction to the CDC by congress and the president when the disease is perceived as only targeting minority groups (AIDS, etc).

5. The increase in probability of outbreak associated with anti-vaccer communities.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on September 05, 2013, 05:04:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2013, 04:39:26 PM

5. The increase in probability of outbreak associated with anti-vaccer communities.

Now THAT stuff is fascinating, because it's such an incredibly effective illustration of how individual actions affect the group. We all tend to think "I am only one person, how can I make a difference?"

It turns out that you can refuse to vaccinate your kid, and cause preventable disease outbreaks!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I've read some interesting general-audience stuff on the interaction between graph theory and epidemiology. I'm not surprised that theoretical biology seems to be very mathy (and specifically heavily dependent upon statistics).

QuoteDARWIN, DO YOUR THING.
I'd be more OK with this were it not for herd immunity fucking everything up. Not vaccinating your kid is unlikely to directly effect you or your kid, and is more likely instead to fuck over someone only tangentially related.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cainad (dec.)

This thread embarrassingly reminds me of how I tended to write only a few years ago. I was so enamored of my ability to make lots of words that I would go completely fucking overboard. When I wasn't being verbose, I was usually being obtuse. It was an ugly time.