News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Quick, what is postmodernism?

Started by Verbal Mike, November 19, 2008, 02:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I'd hold YO MOMMA up as an example of postmodernist art, but I'm afraid my arms would break.

But yeah, lack of grand narratives. Skeptical of binary opposites.  Strange obsession with pop culture.  The self is a fiction.  Interpretation takes precedence over creation (in literary circles).  Subversion and destabalization of meaning.  Etc.

Its worth having some literary analysis skills before delving into postmodernist/poststructuralist works

Verbal Mike

Yeah, retrospectively I'm kinda pissed that the prof expects students to make a short presentation on Postmodernism in the six week of our first semester... This is some complicated shit... But then again, this whole student presentation thing seems like a really forced testing tool, I don't think the prof has much of a choice but to have presentations on every major topic we deal with.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Some names that might help.

Lyotard
Michael Foucault
Jacques Derrida
Deleuze and Guattari
Lacan

Cramulus

Can you have slides in the background?

because that would really make it easy to get an A+

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2008, 09:43:51 PM
In philosophy, its a critical and normally somewhat nihilistic attempt to uncover hidden implicit assumptions within Western philosophical frameworks, then expose them, then write long books which sound like gibberish explaining it.

To really understand postmodern philosophy, you may want to look into Critical Theory first. 

Like most things, it has its applications, but someone (yes I'm looking at YOU Lacan) tries to take it too far.

See, I told you Cain would have the best answer.

Verbal Mike

We're talking really, really brief here. As in, I have about 3 minutes max. No slides possible without getting all the equipment myself, and it's not worth it cause it's not actually graded. It's just a thing that has to be done. Bleh.
I'm still waiting for a reply from the guy I'm supposed to be presenting with, and I'm away from tomorrow till Sunday night... The presentation is on Tuesday... So I'm going to be doing all of the preparations on Monday evening. Awesome.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

But yeah, thanks for you all the input, it's definitely helped clear up my understanding of the subject.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Drunkard LMNO on November 19, 2008, 10:57:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2008, 09:43:51 PM
In philosophy, its a critical and normally somewhat nihilistic attempt to uncover hidden implicit assumptions within Western philosophical frameworks, then expose them, then write long books which sound like gibberish explaining it.

To really understand postmodern philosophy, you may want to look into Critical Theory first. 

Like most things, it has its applications, but someone (yes I'm looking at YOU Lacan) tries to take it too far.

See, I told you Cain would have the best answer.

Cain is like that one kid on the block who always had all the best toys, except the block is PD and the toys are technical, political or philosophical explanations.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.