News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Dont wake me up before the conjuction.

Started by Z³, August 04, 2004, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh dear, it seems like we've got quite a conundrum. You see, we are growing exponentially as a species, tell me when exactly are we going to need more oxygen? Maybe we as a species will grow so cancerous that we'll choke out all forms of life on the planet, not just including ourselves. We ourselves, having (apparently) overcome the process of natural selection are at a point where we could increase potentially exponentially.

When you think about it that way, all of the apparent stupidity that our race exhibits is built into our genes specifically for that purpose. Some sort of psychological throwback of the human species to become its own predator. This might explain why, as there are more of us (as a species), we (as a species) invent more creative and convenient ways to murder and enslave each other.

Because make no mistake, the human species is a predatory one.

Now its been said that the human species has the ability to change. We have done this on a massive scale. Consider what the ability of mass communication does to a species. One could argue that it would be correct to refer to all of the human species as being one entity. One could, or one could be nitpicky and start arguing about what "life" is. There is a scientific definition for it, and this hackneyed philosophical road needs not mentioned.

Given all of these hypothetical possibilities, should I as a person be immediately concerned with the state of the human race? Why bother even worrying about it? The key point, and I stress this very much as I can, is that any one of us can drop dead from any random cause at any moment... and that on a geological timescale the life of any species on this planet is the same way.

Live life how you want to live it. Its better than being scared of terrorists and extra-terrestrials.

Any information I am fed is immediately dichotomized, and I see how it is possible to agree with either side depending on the information you are being fed. Remember, kids, even though your just a part of a giant computer, you personally are still capable of error. This is a part of the system on which we run. Also, it is possible for two opposite statements to both be true.

Horab Fibslager

chromosomes are the only life form. all else is advanced bio-roboticism.
Hell is other people.

Quote from: fed-ex beer stat!chromosomes are the only life form. all else is advanced bio-roboticism.

We need to bridge the gap between the synaptic impulses in the brain/spinal column, and machine code.

The Ghost in the Shell manga needs to be required reading in high-schools.

"Crikey! Me cyberarm!", needs to become a more common expression.

I want to get an eyeball that can communicate with my brain by remote if I take it out of the socket. I fully realize that a person with the right kind of equipment would be able to pick up that signal if it isnt very well encrypted, but I dont care. I actually want to broadcast that signal on a specific channel, and have my own TV show.

Big dreams, I was probably born a few generations too early.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Laughing & Screaming
Quote from: fed-ex beer stat!chromosomes are the only life form. all else is advanced bio-roboticism.

We need to bridge the gap between the synaptic impulses in the brain/spinal column, and machine code.

The Ghost in the Shell manga needs to be required reading in high-schools.

"Crikey! Me cyberarm!", needs to become a more common expression.

I want to get an eyeball that can communicate with my brain by remote if I take it out of the socket. I fully realize that a person with the right kind of equipment would be able to pick up that signal if it isnt very well encrypted, but I dont care. I actually want to broadcast that signal on a specific channel, and have my own TV show.

Big dreams, I was probably born a few generations too early.

the future will be 10x crazier than anythign we can think of today.

it's a matter of how soon the machine becomes the program, and how effective a program it is.

of course we could end up on a radicically divergent path altogether.
Hell is other people.

namu

As population density grows, stress and frustration bring more and more people to kill mindlessly. My guess is the trend will accelerate.
Namu the Maxwell Angel
--
United we stand, divided we run free at last !