News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

itt LHX asks a ?

Started by LHX, May 29, 2006, 02:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

how openly subversive can a person be in this society right now?

i am not familiar wiff laws regarding the broadcasting and communication of ideas
neat hell

East Coast Hustle

there's really no way to answer that, because recently pertinent laws have been called into question, subtly rewritten for vagueness, or flat-out ignored.

it's more likely that the newer, more pertinent question is:

are you willing to risk the undefined but threatening potential consequences of open subversion?

and, if so, how far across the line are you willing to go?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LHX

Quote from: East Coast Hustlethere's really no way to answer that, because recently pertinent laws have been called into question, subtly rewritten for vagueness, or flat-out ignored.

are you willing to risk the undefined but threatening potential consequences of open subversion?

this is the follow-up question -

what exactly are the negative aspects of martyrdom?
neat hell

Baron Von Stevenstein

Floppy-ear'd Order of the Cthulhu
(\ /)
(0.o)
(>D)>=I====>

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LHX
Quote from: East Coast Hustlethere's really no way to answer that, because recently pertinent laws have been called into question, subtly rewritten for vagueness, or flat-out ignored.

if one is fervent enough in their beliefs to become a martyr, then one has already succeeded regardless of the outcome.

for those (like myself) who believe that dying for a cause is silly since FIGHTING for a cause requires you to be alive, then I suppose that obscurity and/or marginalization would be the worst "punishment" that could be meted out.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LHXhow openly subversive can a person be in this society right now?

i am not familiar wiff laws regarding the broadcasting and communication of ideas

Get more radical every day.

When they stuff you in a cage, you'll know how far is too far.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LHX

Being dead.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Proxy

I'd say it would depend quite a bit where in the world you are.

Idem

Quote from: Proxy

:roll: Doy.

And as for your question, I am not sure.  I know that during war limits to that are up.

But as for limits on being subversive, America has some of the loosest restrictions I'm sure.

Cain

Quote from: Idem
Quote from: Proxy

:roll: Doy.

And as for your question, I am not sure.  I know that during war limits to that are up.

But as for limits on being subversive, America has some of the loosest restrictions I'm sure.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
:lol:  :lol:
:lol:

:lol:

East Coast Hustle

Cain

Hey, those Quakers were a threat to National Security!  This is a very important matter! :lol:

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: CainHey, those Quakers were a threat to National Security!  This is a very important matter! :lol:

Packing your oatmeal with those little husks that get caught in the back of your throat?

Yeah, these bastards need to be stopped.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Technically (in the U.S., at least):
-You cannot directly instigate or advocate violence
-You cannot threaten violence

As far as speech goes, supposedly you can say whatever you like.

Given the current climate though, it probably wouldn't take too much for you to be labelled a terrorist and thrown in a secret prison without any real charges brought against you if they ever viewed you as a threat to the establishment.

At the end of the day it depends on how smart (or stupid) you are and what actions you take.

maphdet

If you have the money, you may buy blocks of time on almost any station.
The more popular the station the more money.
I have ppl close to me who do this.
And yes they express themselves, and have yet to be 'shut down'.
Granted it is not a huge station, and they've only been doing it for a short time, but nonetheless, it reaches more folk than not.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-