News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Weev now full blown white supremacist.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 04, 2014, 04:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2014, 07:43:36 PM
He's not mentally ill, he's an asshole.
What is your definition of mentally ill and why don't assholes fit in there?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Johnny

The general stereotype is that those with mental illness deserve symphaty; but sociopathy is also a mental illness, so what do?  :fnord:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Ragret on October 09, 2014, 08:43:28 PM

Assholes have the option of not being terrible and choose to be terrible anyway.

I've met the guy a couple times now, and while A) I am not a shrink and B) I am not his shrink, the dude does not come across as crazy. He decided a long time ago that this was the identity he wanted to run with. It's not an accident of brain chemistry or blameless ignorance, he's an asshole and he wants to be an asshole and I suspect this recent uptick in asshole behavior is directly related to all the non-assholes who have been saying nice things about him because of his case.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2014, 11:38:08 PM
Quote from: Ragret on October 09, 2014, 08:43:28 PM

Assholes have the option of not being terrible and choose to be terrible anyway.

I've met the guy a couple times now, and while A) I am not a shrink and B) I am not his shrink, the dude does not come across as crazy. He decided a long time ago that this was the identity he wanted to run with. It's not an accident of brain chemistry or blameless ignorance, he's an asshole and he wants to be an asshole and I suspect this recent uptick in asshole behavior is directly related to all the non-assholes who have been saying nice things about him because of his case.

I would argue that deliberately choosing an antisocial persona reflects a type of mental illness, inasmuch as personality disorders are fit to be categorized as mental illnesses.

It can be a hard idea to swallow, because it lumps some of the most noxious of humanity into the broad "mentally ill" category along with people with much more sympathetic issues. On the other hand, I think that the classification of "mental illness" is itself an obsolete category that will hopefully be, in time, replaced with more appropriate descriptive terms that break the actual illnesses into specific categories, much as how "neurodegenerative disease" has replaced terms like "senility" and "the palsy".

I'm interested in personality disorders specifically, because they have such anguish-inducing effects for people around the affected person, and are largely untreatable. I suspect they have a structural basis, but it's hard to get funding to study them (other than psychopathy) because they really aren't very sexy or sympathetic. I mean, if the diagnosis is "your personality is awful", nobody's going to feel sorry for you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm going to be honest, I find people with most personality disorders completely fucking intolerable. But I am slowly starting to have some kind of pity for them, because in a real way, they are missing out on significant parts of what it is to experience being human.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

One way that mental illness is categorized its by dividing it between those that hurt the possessor of it vs. the ones that hurt those that surround the possessor...

In simplifyed terms, depression would be on one end of the spectrum and sociopathy on the other... but it can be problematized of course and its just oneof many lenses.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 03:35:22 AM
I mean, if the diagnosis is "your personality is awful", nobody's going to feel sorry for you.

:lulz:

Agreed, I also have a sense of pity for them as you mentioned for similar reasons.

I also have some sort of complex that wants there to be a decent human being "in there", somehow separate from their awful behavior. Perhaps it's just simple optimism... I don't know.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

trix

I wrote weev off years ago when he stalked that blogger on twitter and "dox'd" her because women shouldn't have big mouths on the internet or whatever crap he was spewing.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on October 10, 2014, 06:45:00 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 03:35:22 AM
I mean, if the diagnosis is "your personality is awful", nobody's going to feel sorry for you.

:lulz:

Agreed, I also have a sense of pity for them as you mentioned for similar reasons.

I also have some sort of complex that wants there to be a decent human being "in there", somehow separate from their awful behavior. Perhaps it's just simple optimism... I don't know.

In my opinion, there's probably a structural/physiological root to most personality disorders, which is why they're so difficult to treat. However, I also think that in some cases, the brain can be trained to compensate for the deficits that underlie the disorder. The problem is, the kind of training that can reshape the brain and strengthen the functions that are compromised takes consistent work on the part of the person with the disorder, and given the nature of personality disorders that's unlikely. For example, how do you convince a narcissist that they need to work on improving themselves?

Q. G. Pennyworth

I have a book on the sociology of mental illness that I snorched off someone years ago, and one of the key messages from it that's stuck with me is this:

When someone is ill (physically or mentally), we have this unspoken agreement with them as a society on a whole. We will put up with your diminished capacity to be a person as long as you are taking reasonable steps to address your illness.

Obviously this can go wrong. Some of that attitude is behind the relentless optimism pinkwashing that breast cancer patients have to put up with, and mental health care is always kinda difficult to navigate. I do find myself consistently falling back on this position, though, with no remorse. If you're taking the steps to get better, I will put up with any amount of bullshit resulting from your current condition. If you have decided that you like being sick and everyone else just needs to put up with your shit and you don't need to do anything to improve your lot, well you made your decision and I don't owe you dick.

Writing it out like this makes it seem a little harsher than it did in my head, so maybe I'm in the wrong here, but someone like Weev who exults in his persona as a giant asshole? He should have to deal with people treating him like a giant asshole, not like a victim of brain chemistry. He has access literally to the best resources in the world to get past whatever makes him want to be this way, and he chooses not to, and whether that's because of an underlying problem or not I do not feel obliged to give a shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Note that I never even vaguely suggested that we should put up with his shit. Just that there's no point in trying to understand his logic.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
Note that I never even vaguely suggested that we should put up with his shit. Just that there's no point in trying to understand his logic.

Good point. My bad.

trix

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 10, 2014, 04:48:44 PM
I have a book on the sociology of mental illness that I snorched off someone years ago, and one of the key messages from it that's stuck with me is this:

When someone is ill (physically or mentally), we have this unspoken agreement with them as a society on a whole. We will put up with your diminished capacity to be a person as long as you are taking reasonable steps to address your illness.

Obviously this can go wrong. Some of that attitude is behind the relentless optimism pinkwashing that breast cancer patients have to put up with, and mental health care is always kinda difficult to navigate. I do find myself consistently falling back on this position, though, with no remorse. If you're taking the steps to get better, I will put up with any amount of bullshit resulting from your current condition. If you have decided that you like being sick and everyone else just needs to put up with your shit and you don't need to do anything to improve your lot, well you made your decision and I don't owe you dick.

Writing it out like this makes it seem a little harsher than it did in my head, so maybe I'm in the wrong here, but someone like Weev who exults in his persona as a giant asshole? He should have to deal with people treating him like a giant asshole, not like a victim of brain chemistry. He has access literally to the best resources in the world to get past whatever makes him want to be this way, and he chooses not to, and whether that's because of an underlying problem or not I do not feel obliged to give a shit.

I really like this position, in general.  Basically, if this is the person you decided to present to the world, then that's the person the world is going to respond to.  But if you are broken and trying to get fixed, leeway seems appropriate.

I had never thought of mental illness in this way but I have to wholeheartedly agree.  In fact, it almost seems like it belittles my own efforts to improve myself, if I put up with a giant asshole that has absolutely no interest in becoming a better person.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: trix on October 11, 2014, 03:32:31 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 10, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

I really like this position, in general.  Basically, if this is the person you decided to present to the world, then that's the person the world is going to respond to.  But if you are broken and trying to get fixed, leeway seems appropriate.

I had never thought of mental illness in this way but I have to wholeheartedly agree.  In fact, it almost seems like it belittles my own efforts to improve myself, if I put up with a giant asshole that has absolutely no interest in becoming a better person.

Yeah, me too. That outlook is a very elegant, healthy solution to a horribly complex problem.

Thanks QGP! I'm using that.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

Agreed, good distillation of the social contract. Thanks!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!