News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Suicide bombings in Russia

Started by Cain, December 30, 2013, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Looks like the Caucasus Emirate has been busy.  Two suicide bombings in two days in Volgograd, and a car bombing in Pyatigorsk besides.

While I have no doubt that Umarov's merry band of insurgents are behind the attack, it is worth remembering Prince Bandar's threat uttered this summer:

Quote"There are many common values ​​and goals that bring us together, most notably the fight against terrorism and extremism all over the world. Russia, the US, the EU and the Saudis agree on promoting and consolidating international peace and security. The terrorist threat is growing in light of the phenomena spawned by the Arab Spring. We have lost some regimes. And what we got in return were terrorist experiences, as evidenced by the experience of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and the extremist groups in Libya. ... As an example, I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics in the city of Sochi on the Black Sea next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us, and they will not move in the Syrian territory's direction without coordinating with us. These groups do not scare us. We use them in the face of the Syrian regime but they will have no role or influence in Syria's political future."

Putin thanked King Abdullah for his greetings and Bandar for his exposition, but then he said to Bandar, "We know that you have supported the Chechen terrorist groups for a decade. And that support, which you have frankly talked about just now, is completely incompatible with the common objectives of fighting global terrorism that you mentioned. We are interested in developing friendly relations according to clear and strong principles."

LMNO

Cain

Admittedly, that is what Putin said Bandar said.

But way back in 2004, when the British were investigating the BAE deals with Saudi Arabia due to allegations of corruption and bribes, Bandar said unless the British government backed off, the Saudis would stop all counterterrorism cooperation with the UK - and explicitly said the UK would "face another 7/7" if that occured.

If that's not the least subtle, veiled threat in the history of diplomacy since Hitler, I don't know what is.

LMNO

Hey, any thoughts as to what appears to be an increase of female suicide bombers?

Cain

It's because so many husbands, brothers and sons are in dead or prison, there is a large female population among the Chechens, Dagestanis etc willing to look for revenge.

Historically, this isn't entirely unexpected.  Among the original terrorist groups of Russia and Europe, about a third of active terrorists were women.  And there was the case of Iman and Sanaa Laghrisse, along with Hakima Rejlane.

East Coast Hustle

So I've seen a bunch of uninformed people on FB talking about how these are linked to the Boston Bombings. Other than the tangential link (Chechens) is there any substance to that idea? It seems a little retarded on the face of it because I can't imagine how they would be linked in an overall strategic sense.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

No, I don't see the link either.

Although...no, it is probably just coincidence, but the other correlation here is bombings connected to an international sporting event.  Maybe Tamerlan picked up the idea for the Boston Marathon bombing after listening to Caucasian Front chatter regarding bombs and the Winter Olympics?

Tamerlan would've met with representatives of the Jamaat Shariat, Dagestan's main insurgent group.  I don't know if they're definitely behind the most recent bombings, but it seems a good bet - they've operated in Volgograd before, and use female suicide bombers frequently as well.

But would they really trust even that much information with a relative unknown from the US?  It doesn't seem too likely.