News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

The latest tragic case of Affluenza

Started by Cain, March 31, 2014, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

When are people just going to accept that rich people are ALWAYS the real victim?

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/03/28/sunday-preview-du-pont-heir-stayed-prison/7016769/

QuoteA Superior Court judge who sentenced a wealthy du Pont heir to probation for raping his 3-year-old daughter noted in her order that he "will not fare well" in prison and needed treatment instead of time behind bars, court records show.

Judge Jan Jurden's sentencing order for Robert H. Richards IV suggested that she considered unique circumstances when deciding his punishment for fourth-degree rape. Her observation that prison life would adversely affect Richards was a rare and puzzling rationale, several criminal justice authorities in Delaware said. Some also said her view that treatment was a better idea than prison is a justification typically used when sentencing drug addicts, not child rapists.

Yes.  "Unique circumstances."

hooplala

Quotefor raping his 3-year-old daughter

what in the everloving fuck

...jesus
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

This is nothing new.  It's the American Way™.  One set of laws; for the poor. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Posting to see this thread when the inevitable Belgian or Amsterdam connection appears.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I also checked, and class four rape in Delaware is classed as a Class C Felony.

But according to CriminalDefenseLawyer.com, child rape is normally considered a class B felony, punishable by 25 years in prison.  However, as a Class C Felony, the upper limit is 15 years.

Not that it seems to matter, since the Judge is just apparently making things up as the DuPont family see to their retirement fund they go along, but the charge does seem like it should be more severe even before taking into account the ridiculous punishment served out by the court.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Yeah, you're right:

QuoteBut in June 2008, just days before a scheduled trial, prosecutor Renee Hrivnak offered Richards a plea to a single count of fourth-degree rape, which carries no mandatory time, and he accepted, admitting in court that he abused his child.

"It was more than reasonable, an enlightened plea offer," Richards attorney Eugene J. Maurer Jr. said.

Well, I'm glad we've discovered the carceral state system is an inherently unfair and violent world just in time to save Mr DuPont from its pernicious clutches.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 31, 2014, 03:51:32 PM
Yeah, you're right:

QuoteBut in June 2008, just days before a scheduled trial, prosecutor Renee Hrivnak offered Richards a plea to a single count of fourth-degree rape, which carries no mandatory time, and he accepted, admitting in court that he abused his child.

"It was more than reasonable, an enlightened plea offer," Richards attorney Eugene J. Maurer Jr. said.

Well, I'm glad we've discovered the carceral state system is an inherently unfair and violent world just in time to save Mr DuPont from its pernicious clutches.

He had a rough childhood.  :(
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I know, right?

QuoteRichards, who is unemployed and supported by a trust fund, owns a 5,800-square-foot mansion in Greenville he bought for $1.8 million in 2005. He also lists a home in the exclusive North Shores neighborhood near Rehoboth Beach, according to the state's sex abuse registry. His great-grandfather is du Pont family patriarch Irenee du Pont, and his father is Robert H. Richards III, a retired partner in the Richards Layton & Finger law firm.

I'm glad the judge took this tragic upbringing into account.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 31, 2014, 03:51:32 PM
Yeah, you're right:

He had a rough childhood.  :(

If I was only left a couple million in a trust fund, my childhood would have been rough too.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Junkenstein

Wealthy parents are known for being cold and distant.

Ask Batman.

Bruno

So this guy's a descendant of the family who were major funders of Aslinger and Hearst's original war on marijuana?
Formerly something else...

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"