News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

SSOOKN's Official statement concerning the Open Bar

Started by Mangrove, March 28, 2012, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

I stopped posting regularly on PD before it was cool.  8)

Seriously though, here's a few thoughts....

The amount of discourse about the Open Bar thread would be a source of constant amazement to me if I logged on regularly enough. When it was active, it produced a variety of responses. Some avoided it entirely, some thought it was irritating but had to post in it anyway, some people enjoyed it for whatever reasons they had. I don't know what they were or care for that matter.

I started the very first OB thread back in 2004 not long after I signed up for PD. I think ECH (under his magnificent original moniker, Turd Ferguson!) joined about the same week I did or I joined right after him...anyways, it was a long time ago. The original OB thread was simply a place of make believe and silliness. That's it. I really didn't expect it to be sustained for as long as it did. Hell, even I stopped posting in it regularly years before it got cancelled.

I also didn't expect that it would get copied by other forums. When Aini and Eric(?) went off and did their own forum, they included a bar. When EB&G was formed, they also had a bar thread and, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their are other forums out there(discordian or otherwise), somewhere that did likewise. And bully for them because it makes no difference to me at all.

The original OB thread was awash with what was then called 'cookies & pie' discordianism though people might now call it Pinealism or whatever. PD took on a different vibe in 2006 onwards with the advent of the BIP project and 'cookies & pie' posting went seriously out of vogue and posters partial to it either dropped it and continued to stay or they got 'the horrors' and went somewhere else.

When the OB began, there was barely Facebook (if at all). Back in 2004 many people I knew were on a UK site called 'Friends Reunited' so they could connect with their school mates.(Can't think of anything I wanted to do less.) I don't know if the term 'blogosphere' had been coined at that time or not, but I don't remember hearing it. Seems that pre-facebook people had Livejournal (lol) or some shit like that.

Over time, probably with the exponential expansion in both blogs and FB, the Open Bar took on that colouring. But really, it was just a gag. It was near Xmas 2004 and I felt like sharing some good cheer. That was it.

When I saw people baying for the demise of a thread, it struck me as odd. As odd as it would be for anyone to campaign for it being saved. It was odd that that it was considered instrumental in a decline in post volume and quality. It's odd that after deleting it, there's some sentiment that the 'fluff buffer zone' had been comprised allowing more trivial posting to spill into other areas. It's all a bit ODD.

The OB thread was only ever a reflection of the people posting in it at any given time. It changed because the posters changed. Posters came and went and some of the same posters stayed but they changed their minds.

The OB probably didn't add or detract anything from the forum. It was ONE SINGLE THREAD. All the posts in any thread come from your brain and onto the computer via your fingers. So, check your heads if there's any questions about post quality. As I said, it was a mirror - don't blame the mirror. Whether it stays up or gets smashed or people celebrate or lament it, it really doesn't amount to anything.

It was just a cheeky joke thread (and alt account) that got a lot of mileage. End of story.

It's ok, it's only the internet.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Howl

So YOU'RE the bastard.

You and Spoon E Gee are officially ON THE LIST.   :argh!:
Molon Lube

Mangrove

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 28, 2012, 09:15:35 PM
So YOU'RE the bastard.

You and Spoon E Gee are officially ON THE LIST.   :argh!:

:thanks: Yer Welcome.

Plus, I'm diversifying. After the success of Open Bar, I'm looking into:

a) The Open Abbatoir
b) The Open Turkish Bath
c) The Open Change

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mangrove

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 28, 2012, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on March 28, 2012, 09:32:30 PM
a) The Open Abbatoir

I support this assbaggery.

I think the 'unlimited[insert douchebag]' threads serve that purpose. They also serve as a gibbet and PSA for new posters.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Richter

Look...do anything, but get Scrid out of my house.

It was cool for awhile, but now he just sits around all day collecting unemployment, playing the xbox, the Wii, and the playstation all at the same time.  The water bill is through the roof, and the busted clam shells underfoot were old 3 months ago.  I keep finding empty bottles of Worcestershire sauced behind the couch, and he just looks ashamed when I ask him about them.

Even the folks with a hard-on for cephalapod equality and employment opportunity have abandoned me!

Granted Scrid and I have been through a lot, and part of me considers him a brother.  The rest of me wants to cook up one motherfucker of a calamari.  HELP!
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on March 28, 2012, 09:11:21 PM
I stopped posting regularly on PD before it was cool.  8)

Seriously though, here's a few thoughts....

The amount of discourse about the Open Bar thread would be a source of constant amazement to me if I logged on regularly enough. When it was active, it produced a variety of responses. Some avoided it entirely, some thought it was irritating but had to post in it anyway, some people enjoyed it for whatever reasons they had. I don't know what they were or care for that matter.

I started the very first OB thread back in 2004 not long after I signed up for PD. I think ECH (under his magnificent original moniker, Turd Ferguson!) joined about the same week I did or I joined right after him...anyways, it was a long time ago. The original OB thread was simply a place of make believe and silliness. That's it. I really didn't expect it to be sustained for as long as it did. Hell, even I stopped posting in it regularly years before it got cancelled.

I also didn't expect that it would get copied by other forums. When Aini and Eric(?) went off and did their own forum, they included a bar. When EB&G was formed, they also had a bar thread and, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their are other forums out there(discordian or otherwise), somewhere that did likewise. And bully for them because it makes no difference to me at all.

The original OB thread was awash with what was then called 'cookies & pie' discordianism though people might now call it Pinealism or whatever. PD took on a different vibe in 2006 onwards with the advent of the BIP project and 'cookies & pie' posting went seriously out of vogue and posters partial to it either dropped it and continued to stay or they got 'the horrors' and went somewhere else.

When the OB began, there was barely Facebook (if at all). Back in 2004 many people I knew were on a UK site called 'Friends Reunited' so they could connect with their school mates.(Can't think of anything I wanted to do less.) I don't know if the term 'blogosphere' had been coined at that time or not, but I don't remember hearing it. Seems that pre-facebook people had Livejournal (lol) or some shit like that.

Over time, probably with the exponential expansion in both blogs and FB, the Open Bar took on that colouring. But really, it was just a gag. It was near Xmas 2004 and I felt like sharing some good cheer. That was it.

When I saw people baying for the demise of a thread, it struck me as odd. As odd as it would be for anyone to campaign for it being saved. It was odd that that it was considered instrumental in a decline in post volume and quality. It's odd that after deleting it, there's some sentiment that the 'fluff buffer zone' had been comprised allowing more trivial posting to spill into other areas. It's all a bit ODD.

The OB thread was only ever a reflection of the people posting in it at any given time. It changed because the posters changed. Posters came and went and some of the same posters stayed but they changed their minds.

The OB probably didn't add or detract anything from the forum. It was ONE SINGLE THREAD. All the posts in any thread come from your brain and onto the computer via your fingers. So, check your heads if there's any questions about post quality. As I said, it was a mirror - don't blame the mirror. Whether it stays up or gets smashed or people celebrate or lament it, it really doesn't amount to anything.

It was just a cheeky joke thread (and alt account) that got a lot of mileage. End of story.

It's ok, it's only the internet.

Well said sir.  The Open Bar never was the same without The Scrid and OB himself.  Good times, good times. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I remember when the bar was first opened.  It was practically a role-playing thread, where we pretended to drink, and inadvisedly flirted with each other (be kind.  It was 2004, or something like that).  We even had an imaginary headspace around it, with tables, a coffee machine, a kitchen, and apparently a pot field out back.  And then one day, the bar became sentient.  That is to say, some smartass made an alt account with the name "Open Bar" and started posting.  Soon after, the scrid showed up.  A vague approximation can be found in LMNO-PI.  Believe it or not, I thought those were good times.

Excerpt mentioned:  http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,4569.30/msg,170069.html

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 29, 2012, 05:10:56 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 28, 2012, 11:42:10 PM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on March 28, 2012, 11:19:53 PM
Can we have an Open Sauna as well?

No.  Babylon Horuv will drink the water.

( :vom: )

WORST. POST. EVER.

I'D LIKE TO THANK ALL THE LITTLE PEOPLE THAT MADE THIS MOMENT POSSIBLE...
Molon Lube