News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

If Nobody's Normal, Then What Are They?

Started by QueenThera, December 25, 2014, 12:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Great post Nigel.

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 27, 2014, 05:01:58 AM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 25, 2014, 10:40:50 AM
Normal is arbitrary by consensus and varies by location and chronological era.
Yes. But I want to find out, from people in my local area, what practices are acceptable, if only to avoid getting my ass kicked for insulting the wrong football team or whatever, or better yet, to find out how to find people I would enjoy talking to.

But the word normal does not communicate this. And when I spend a good few sentences on defining what I mean, their eyes glaze over, and then I still do not receive the information I desire.

...also, I think I have posted this thread in the wrong forum?

The word you want is "etiquette".
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on December 27, 2014, 09:07:11 PM
Great post Nigel.

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 27, 2014, 05:01:58 AM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 25, 2014, 10:40:50 AM
Normal is arbitrary by consensus and varies by location and chronological era.
Yes. But I want to find out, from people in my local area, what practices are acceptable, if only to avoid getting my ass kicked for insulting the wrong football team or whatever, or better yet, to find out how to find people I would enjoy talking to.

But the word normal does not communicate this. And when I spend a good few sentences on defining what I mean, their eyes glaze over, and then I still do not receive the information I desire.

...also, I think I have posted this thread in the wrong forum?

The word you want is "etiquette".

That's a good point. Perhaps an etiquette book would make a good place to start. Maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Etiquette-Navigate-Uncommon-Situations/dp/0312604270/
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

QueenThera

Etiquette! Dang, I knew it was something obvious! :D Thanks for the link and the keyword. I'll check it out soon as I can!
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

The Johnny

Normal is appearing to follow social moores, laws and regulations and an overall bland character...

Religious but not too religious, funny and outgoing, extraverted, but manic is a no no and stay away from morbid black humor or sarcasm... for guys, being manly, for women being pretty and charismatic, etc.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Mores, customs, folkways, etiquette, habitus, etc
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Normal is falling within two to three standard deviations of the average. EVERYTHING fits under the curve, so the question is not whether an individual differs from the median, but by how much.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

rong

Doesn't normal depend on whether or not you're on meth?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"