Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: geekdad on November 19, 2010, 05:39:18 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 03:37:56 AM
Quote from: Richter on November 19, 2010, 03:35:06 AM
I've done SCA (Heavy and rapier combat both) and LARP too, there's fun in all of it.   :mrgreen:  Whichever rules, system, props, etc, it'st still grown people pretending though. (still more fun than REALLY killing)

I generally treat SCA and similar things as training to kill people. Which is probably why I don't like LARPs.

Obviously you haven't seen Amtgard. They are foam swords, many of them or puropsely light for speed.

I personally don't use light weapons, but they are safer as they are far less likely to break in a way that would injure.

That is why.

BadBeast

I've done SCA (Heavy and rapier combat both) and LARP too, there's fun in all of it.   :mrgreen:  Whichever rules, system, props, etc, it'st still grown people pretending though. (still more fun than REALLY killing)

I generally treat SCA and similar things as training to kill people. Which is probably why I don't like LARPs.

Obviously you haven't seen Amtgard. They are foam swords, many of them or puropsely light for speed.

I personally don't use light weapons, but they are safer as they are far less likely to break in a way that would injure.

Exibit A of "light weapons..

Looks like 5 umbrellas, and a pointless arrow!  Ooh, don't spank me, Mary Poppins!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

geekdad

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 05:50:07 AM
I've done SCA (Heavy and rapier combat both) and LARP too, there's fun in all of it.   :mrgreen:  Whichever rules, system, props, etc, it'st still grown people pretending though. (still more fun than REALLY killing)

That is why.

By "chance" I mean like less then struck by lightning probablilities, not like same as cleaning a gun and it going off.

Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

Don Coyote

Having personally held that toys that Amtgard call 'weapons' I think I know how heavy they are. And feel it justifies me mocking LARPers. No offense to Cram.

Cainad (dec.)

Society for Creative Anachronism:

1) Adopt a "persona" with a period-appropriate name (in other words, "play a role")

2) Wear period-appropriate garments/costume, i.e. something that in most cases you would not wear in public on an everyday basis

3) Engage in a form of combat with protective gear, blunted weapons, and rules designed to reduce the incidence of severe injury or death

4) All of these things, put together, constitute a form of playing a role in a live-action context. Live Action Role Playing, bitches.

Just because your version of playing pretend has greater aspirations towards historical accuracy and people are more likely to get a boo-boo because you use a realistic form of mock combat doesn't make it a more worthwhile hobby. Different fucking strokes for different motherfucking folks.

or in other words

Quote from: Cramulus on November 19, 2010, 02:13:42 AM
lame jock vs nerd posturing ITT

geekdad

Quote from: BadBeast link=topic=26293.msg968977#msg968977
Looks like 5 umbrellas, and a pointless arrow!  Ooh, don't spank me, Mary Poppins!

Agreed. I hate so-called New-Tech weapons, they are basically a golf club shaft with one of those pool foam things on it covered in material.

If the golf club part is graphite it tends to break.

QuoteOld Tech: This is the gear used by people back in the early 80's all the way up until the early to mid 90's. We are talking everything from thick wall PVC and couch foam, all the way up to tent pegs and vlar. Somewhere along the way they also used camp pad, solid fiberglass rods, and bamboo. Shields were made of wood or trashcan lids, and were smaller on average than they are now. Old tech weapons are heavy, slow, and hit with a lot of force. Given their mass, the people who made good use of them had to have a lot of upper body strength. Sword Knights were generally stronger than average, examples of KoS members who qualified with old tech include Nevron, M'deth, Tholden, and Theo Blackflame.

New Tech: Equipment of this make became popular in the early to mid 90's but that varies from kingdom to kingdom. New tech swords generally have 505 or 404-diameter kitespar core. The blades are generally made with some variety of MC, either 1900S or 2000. Fun noodle also became popular in this time, specifically in the Iron Mountains, but was generally reinforced and or strapped down to make the weapon heavier or more durable. Shields were generally made from snow sleds and tended be larger to better compensate for the faster weapons. Would-be Sword Knights still profit from being stronger than their opponents but not nearly to the degree required with Old Tech weapons. KoS members who favor New Tech weapons and equipment include Arthon, Drakknar, Clalibus, Guy, and Ziggy.

BadBeast

Quote from: geekdad on November 19, 2010, 05:58:43 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 05:50:07 AM
I've done SCA (Heavy and rapier combat both) and LARP too, there's fun in all of it.   :mrgreen:  Whichever rules, system, props, etc, it'st still grown people pretending though. (still more fun than REALLY killing)

That is why.

By "chance" I mean like less then struck by lightning probablilities, not like same as cleaning a gun and it going off.

Thrash me with thy foamy sword of larpdom if you can, Varlet, I am the bearer of Thwackboing, mighty lance of bubblewrap, whose mirth and lail doth lay waste the stoutest foe!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Don Coyote

Quote from: geekdad on November 19, 2010, 05:58:43 AM

I think you aren't getting my point. I shoot firearms for a living. Part of my jog description is putting myself in dangerous situations. The safety of a kitespar wrapped with opencell foam and covered with a sock isn't why I have an issue with the things that LARPers use. It is their lack of mass and ridiculous handling characteristics. I have taken flack for having trained with shinai and wasters from people who use steel. I have given flack to guys who use nylon wasters for training. I approach armed combat as a martial art. Your concept safety is meaningless. I've trained with steel and prefer it to wood or shinai.

And WTF do you mean by your comment on cleaning a gun and having it accidentally going off? If you are cleaning a loaded weapon you are a fucking retard. You always, always, ALWAYS clear a weapon when you are first handed it, before handing it off to someone else or before cleaning it. ALWAYS.

geekdad

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 05:59:37 AM
Having personally held that toys that Amtgard call 'weapons' I think I know how heavy they are. And feel it justifies me mocking LARPers. No offense to Cram.

This is what you held I'd wager:

QuoteUltralights: Presently ultralights are the pinnacle of weapon technology. These weapons are generally made with the lighter forms of golf club shafts and fun noodle. They use a limited amount of tape, and pantyhose as opposed to a cloth cover. Weapons of this sort are made to be as light as possible. Given their construction, weapons of this type have a marked tendency to break down quickly, and constantly have to be repaired or remade. They also tend to be very long and even a 45" sword can be used effectively with only one hand. Shields have changed as well and on average are well into the medium range (27" to 30"). Also, many people prefer all foam shields that do not require separate padding. KoS members who favor weapons of this sort include Spynthrift, Lief, Sparhawk, and Brennon.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cainad on November 19, 2010, 06:01:25 AM
Society for Creative Anachronism:

1) Adopt a "persona" with a period-appropriate name (in other words, "play a role")

2) Wear period-appropriate garments/costume, i.e. something that in most cases you would not wear in public on an everyday basis

3) Engage in a form of combat with protective gear, blunted weapons, and rules designed to reduce the incidence of severe injury or death

4) All of these things, put together, constitute a form of playing a role in a live-action context. Live Action Role Playing, bitches.

Just because your version of playing pretend has greater aspirations towards historical accuracy and people are more likely to get a boo-boo because you use a realistic form of mock combat doesn't make it a more worthwhile hobby. Different fucking strokes for different motherfucking folks.

or in other words

Quote from: Cramulus on November 19, 2010, 02:13:42 AM
lame jock vs nerd posturing ITT

I play with the SCA, I am not a member. I don't have a persona. I have no interest in ever making one, because while I enjoy RPGs, I prefer to be ME when I am in my own skin out and about. And the majority of the SCA is less historically accurate than "A Knight's Tale"

And this is lame jock posturing. I was poking fun, but geekdad seemed to not get why I  personally don't like LARP.

Don Coyote

Quote from: geekdad on November 19, 2010, 06:09:26 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 05:59:37 AM

This is what you held I'd wager:

QuoteUltralights: Presently ultralights are the pinnacle of weapon technology. These weapons are generally made with the lighter forms of golf club shafts and fun noodle. They use a limited amount of tape, and pantyhose as opposed to a cloth cover. Weapons of this sort are made to be as light as possible. Given their construction, weapons of this type have a marked tendency to break down quickly, and constantly have to be repaired or remade. They also tend to be very long and even a 45" sword can be used effectively with only one hand. Shields have changed as well and on average are well into the medium range (27" to 30"). Also, many people prefer all foam shields that do not require separate padding. KoS members who favor weapons of this sort include Spynthrift, Lief, Sparhawk, and Brennon.

Anything weighing less than 1.5 pounds is stupid light to me. Anything less than 2 pounds is light to me. Anything over 4 pounds is starting to get heavy in one hand to me. Do get the weight ranges as they apply to me? Do you guys make foam weapons that approach 2 pounds in weight without being close to the size of a zweihander?

Don Coyote

You know what. Fuck you guys. Only EOC got it.

geekdad

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 06:08:21 AM
It is their lack of mass and ridiculous handling characteristics. I have taken flack for having trained with shinai and wasters from people who use steel. I have given flack to guys who use nylon wasters for training. I approach armed combat as a martial art. Your concept safety is meaningless. I've trained with steel and prefer it to wood or shinai.

we are on the same side here, your point is exactly mine. New tech and ultra lights are shit and technically don't follow the rules as it states weapons should be close to real weapon weight.

The weapon I use is thick wall PVC with a pipe insulator, wrapped in blue camp foam, it has smaller faucet PVC inside keeping a 2lb lead weight at the end for counter balance at the hilt. It weights about 10lbs, is 50" long and the main striking part is 2.75" in diameter. Due to the counterweight, it is balanced 1 inch to the handguard (edited here wrong term).

The friend who brought me into amtgard had never seen a setup like it in the 12 years he had been playing. He thought it was a great idea. He prefer ed the 10 foot sewage PVC with pillows and couch foam on it, but that is ancient

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 06:08:21 AM
And WTF do you mean by your comment on cleaning a gun and having it accidentally going off? If you are cleaning a loaded weapon you are a fucking retard. You always, always, ALWAYS clear a weapon when you are first handed it, before handing it off to someone else or before cleaning it. ALWAYS.

The gun thing was meant as a joke... actually it's probably more likely to be nailed by lighting then shot while cleaning a gun.

Cainad (dec.)

Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. Been surrounded by so much DUMB lately that it colored how I see everything.

BadBeast

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 06:16:26 AM
You know what. Fuck you guys. Only EOC got it.
Does this mean Coyote is not amused?  :aaa: