News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Stop acting so light-skinned

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 25, 2014, 07:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

While this isn't entirely reflective of my experience, it does capture some elements.

http://thehigherlearning.com/2014/02/01/mixed-in-modern-america/

QuoteI had a very interesting encounter today. I was sitting in the Malcolm X Lounge, a study room at the University of Texas that's dedicated to African-American studies, but open to anyone. I was on a couch and had my feet up on a small table. When a girl came and sat down on the couch to my left, I jokingly made a big deal about moving my legs. She responded with, "Stop being so lazy, light-skin."

I really wasn't offended by the light-skin reference, but I was totally caught off guard by the way she used the term. See light-skinnededness (no that's not a real word) has been the target of black humor for a while now, but usually people just say...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ben Shapiro

That's just stupid. What we're suppose to crucify people who are attracted to certain ethnic groups?

There's a episode of "Blackish" in where the Father was trying to get his kids to be more black, and not get white washed. I laughed at the whole episode. The whole idea is stupid. "White washing" lol.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Derrick Broze on October 25, 2014, 08:11:00 AM
That's just stupid. What we're suppose to crucify people who are attracted to certain ethnic groups?

There's a episode of "Blackish" in where the Father was trying to get his kids to be more black, and not get white washed. I laughed at the whole episode. The whole idea is stupid. "White washing" lol.

You should read the article I reposed that from, so you understand the context in which it was posted. The link to the article is in the OP.

Cain

I know this sort of thing pre-dates the internet, but I'd be interested to know the age of the girl.  "tumblr generation" springs to mind, especially with the way she answered the author.

From what I can see, mixed-race people get shit from pretty much every side of the racial equation. 

The bit about stoicism was interesting, and definitely makes sense.  Relates very strongly to "the talk".

Suu

It reminds me of the Cheerios commercial that came out last year with the adorable little girl. The ad is actually really cute, but somebody had to make it about the interracial marriage and blew a stink.  :| I don't remember the exact argument, but I do recall a comment being posted on Youtube (which as we know, is about as legitimate as Genghis Khan's children) that said something to the effect of, "If you're going to show a white family, show a white family, if you're going to show a black family, show a black family, people don't need to see this mixed girl."

As if she was some sort of abomination.   :?

I dunno, the first thing I thought of was just how cute she was. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWeH9cztHw

The comments again, speak for themselves. Mostly conservatives blaming the controversy on leftist media and claiming they know black people to feel better about themselves.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2014, 09:53:45 AM
I know this sort of thing pre-dates the internet, but I'd be interested to know the age of the girl.  "tumblr generation" springs to mind, especially with the way she answered the author.

From what I can see, mixed-race people get shit from pretty much every side of the racial equation. 

The bit about stoicism was interesting, and definitely makes sense.  Relates very strongly to "the talk".

My guess, based on some of the details, is that she's around 20.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on October 26, 2014, 12:52:45 PM
It reminds me of the Cheerios commercial that came out last year with the adorable little girl. The ad is actually really cute, but somebody had to make it about the interracial marriage and blew a stink.  :| I don't remember the exact argument, but I do recall a comment being posted on Youtube (which as we know, is about as legitimate as Genghis Khan's children) that said something to the effect of, "If you're going to show a white family, show a white family, if you're going to show a black family, show a black family, people don't need to see this mixed girl."

As if she was some sort of abomination.   :?

I dunno, the first thing I thought of was just how cute she was. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWeH9cztHw

The comments again, speak for themselves. Mostly conservatives blaming the controversy on leftist media and claiming they know black people to feel better about themselves.

The funny thing about that commercial is that a lot of people didn't even notice, on the first viewing, that the parents were different races, which seriously gives me hope for humanity.

I often have to remind myself that miscegenation was still against the law -- as in, it was a punishable offense to have sex with a person whose skin has different melanin expression -- until just two years before I was conceived.

The Wizard Joseph

No time for a real reply yet but will later today when I get time. In short intriguing article and that song from the YT  was marvelously sung!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Ok. Lunch was awesome. Here's what I think.

I think that part of the mixed race question and treatment of mulottos and other obvious racial admixtures is similar in essence to the way differences are handled among homosexuals and straights. They don't like or much wish to address the issue of bisexuals.  It muddies the political waters to have people for whom homosexual behavior IS a choice, an option. I do not bring this up to derail the topic. I want a clearly different thing to contrast to the racial topic at hand.  I believe that the racial strife has the same root cause.

We want and have an instinct for easy categories.  But the category is only a constuct, not what really is. The need for a construct rises from conflicting instincts.  The reproduction and territorial instincts specifically have often differing interests.

"Ohh THAT person over there has clearly different genetic traits, perhaps a bit of mystique, sexy otherness. No chance of inbreeding there!"  This is roughly the call of the sexual function in the breeding mind.

"Grrr.. I sense difference and therefore obvious potential competition. Enough! My sexual function will allow no such rulebreaking and extra work. I shall establish dominance or eliminate the offender."  The territorial mind is a bit more thoughtful than the reproductive but not much.

Trouble is these minds don't generally deal in words. They manifest as urges and the thinking mind is left to make sense of it or repress it. It may also simply act on the impulses and justify later as necessary.

Somewhere between the thinker and the group mind we came up with categories to shunt folks into.  Mulottos, bisexuals, agnostics, the transgendered, and what have you for in-betweeners show these categories for the wispy fabrications they are. And so the wise see no need of them, perhaps, and the fools clamp ever harder down on their heads with their sphincters and make sub categories and shun the 'undesirable' or deny them entirely. This doesn't change the simple truth: the categories are not real.
Every person is unique, uncategorized, and not beholden to where and who they came from.

Yet humanity somewhere got the terrible idea that categories should be applied to people.  Then lost sight of any other way to be. Or is just now maybe realizing another way slowly. Either way the blending will continue and I consider this not only a good thing, but possibly a trend that will ultimately aid humanity immensely in the end. That topic may be worth a whole 'nuther thread though.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

It's funny how much Drake plays into all this. Probably the most unlikely polarizing figure in history.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Joe, your response was intriguing, I will need to mull it over.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 26, 2014, 05:51:01 PM
Ok. Lunch was awesome. Here's what I think.

I think that part of the mixed race question and treatment of mulottos and other obvious racial admixtures is similar in essence to the way differences are handled among homosexuals and straights. They don't like or much wish to address the issue of bisexuals.  It muddies the political waters to have people for whom homosexual behavior IS a choice, an option. I do not bring this up to derail the topic. I want a clearly different thing to contrast to the racial topic at hand.  I believe that the racial strife has the same root cause.

We want and have an instinct for easy categories.  But the category is only a constuct, not what really is. The need for a construct rises from conflicting instincts.  The reproduction and territorial instincts specifically have often differing interests.

"Ohh THAT person over there has clearly different genetic traits, perhaps a bit of mystique, sexy otherness. No chance of inbreeding there!"  This is roughly the call of the sexual function in the breeding mind.

"Grrr.. I sense difference and therefore obvious potential competition. Enough! My sexual function will allow no such rulebreaking and extra work. I shall establish dominance or eliminate the offender."  The territorial mind is a bit more thoughtful than the reproductive but not much.

Trouble is these minds don't generally deal in words. They manifest as urges and the thinking mind is left to make sense of it or repress it. It may also simply act on the impulses and justify later as necessary.

Somewhere between the thinker and the group mind we came up with categories to shunt folks into.  Mulottos, bisexuals, agnostics, the transgendered, and what have you for in-betweeners show these categories for the wispy fabrications they are. And so the wise see no need of them, perhaps, and the fools clamp ever harder down on their heads with their sphincters and make sub categories and shun the 'undesirable' or deny them entirely. This doesn't change the simple truth: the categories are not real.
Every person is unique, uncategorized, and not beholden to where and who they came from.

Yet humanity somewhere got the terrible idea that categories should be applied to people.  Then lost sight of any other way to be. Or is just now maybe realizing another way slowly. Either way the blending will continue and I consider this not only a good thing, but possibly a trend that will ultimately aid humanity immensely in the end. That topic may be worth a whole 'nuther thread though.
Speaking of lunch, this is delectable and requires quite a bit of savoring.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."