News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

oh, evo psych.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, July 05, 2013, 01:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Q. G. Pennyworth

See, this is why I got into a day-long argument with the husband a while back, because he thinks evo psych is a science and deserves some amount of respect. :vom:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

QuoteAnd if any of it is correct, I'm damn glad I'm not heterosexual, because their sex lives sound joyless.

The true point of all of this is to win converts to the homosexual agenda. :P
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 05, 2013, 02:23:37 PM
See, this is why I got into a day-long argument with the husband a while back, because he thinks evo psych is a science and deserves some amount of respect. :vom:

evo psych can suck my non existent balls. from what *I* see it seems to be backtracking and making shit up to "prove" social norms.

Oh and rape apologia.

also Bonobos are awesome.
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 05, 2013, 03:18:03 PM
QuoteAnd if any of it is correct, I'm damn glad I'm not heterosexual, because their sex lives sound joyless.

The true point of all of this is to win converts to the homosexual agenda. :P

hey if the lady in question can write like Stavvers I'm there.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sigh.

Seriously, you guys, you're talking about a field that attempts to explain human biology and behavior. It's a sloppy and imprecise field because it's more or less in its infancy and there are no ways to test most of the hypotheses. As a result, there are going to be a lot of really stupid papers written by college students because they have to come up with and write about SOMETHING.

Also, that blogger is a bigot and a twit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Troof. 

A lot of evo-psych is pretty stupid....but have you seen the sort of retarded shit that is considered acceptable political science?  Social science means Sturgeon's Law is in effect and, despite claims to the contrary, Evo Psych is a social science, even though it tends to be more scientifically rigorous than, say, Economics.

There also seems to be a small core of people devoted to never understanding the ought-is distinction and the naturalistic fallacy, and then claiming that every research paper is advocating, when it is in fact describing, in every given field.  Although humanity as a rule has a problem with understanding this, it's no excuse for people who write for a living.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 05, 2013, 06:42:20 PM
Sigh.

Seriously, you guys, you're talking about a field that attempts to explain human biology and behavior. It's a sloppy and imprecise field because it's more or less in its infancy and there are no ways to test most of the hypotheses. As a result, there are going to be a lot of really stupid papers written by college students because they have to come up with and write about SOMETHING.

A couple hundred years ago, the field of chemistry was still trying to figure out that lead/gold thing and sure that mercury was good medicine. So these actually seem pretty tame for an infant science!  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on July 05, 2013, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 05, 2013, 06:42:20 PM
Sigh.

A couple hundred years ago, the field of chemistry was still trying to figure out that lead/gold thing and sure that mercury was good medicine. So these actually seem pretty tame for an infant science!  :lulz:

Yes, exactly. And as Cain said,

Quote from: Cain on July 05, 2013, 07:34:24 PM
There also seems to be a small core of people devoted to never understanding the ought-is distinction and the naturalistic fallacy, and then claiming that every research paper is advocating, when it is in fact describing, in every given field.  Although humanity as a rule has a problem with understanding this, it's no excuse for people who write for a living.

The fact that some people come to completely moronic conclusions based on semi-developed and half-baked theories is no excuse for dismissing the whole field.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

That blog links to this article : http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/why-sterilisation-still-being-forced-transgender-people

Which has melted down my brain and made it stop working for the time being. I knew people in third world countries were being sterilized without consent or even being informed, at one point. So I feel like I should have known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

Yeesh. I don't know if this needs its own thread or what. Sorry. Brain blown. Gonna walk away and percolate.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 06, 2013, 06:48:35 AM
That blog links to this article : http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/why-sterilisation-still-being-forced-transgender-people

Which has melted down my brain and made it stop working for the time being. I knew people in third world countries were being sterilized without consent or even being informed, at one point. So I feel like I should have known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

Yeesh. I don't know if this needs its own thread or what. Sorry. Brain blown. Gonna walk away and percolate.

Wow

I didn't even know that people could retain fertility after gender reassignment surgery. Learn something new every day!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel