News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Jarring Discordian Posters

Started by Dean, December 31, 2010, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Dean on December 31, 2010, 08:58:05 AM
How about we make jarring posters advertising discordia? Posters that people will look at and be  :eek: . These are fundamentally different than posters like "23 things while you wait" as those are mindfuck posters and while they have the potential to shock people, these new posters will be more for the sole purpose of advertising discordia in a shocking fashion.

I like the idea!

This touches on an ongoing discussion about our poster's goals...

The best angle is probably to be shocking while not offensive. And this is tough, because you've gotta rock some taboos in order to get people's attention, but you don't want to shut them off immediately.

Vulgarity and sexuality are the cheap ways to do it, you see it in ads everywhere. They get away with it by presenting it in a way that jives with you, that you feel like you're participating in. I think you can get away with a poster that says FUCK, for example, as long as the FUCK is directed at something that the viewer also hates, and is not an offensive 'FUCK YOU'.

(and for posterity, my version of Eris is hot as sweet merciful fuck... but she's the kind of girl you're afraid to bang because she's crazy as a loon and the whole encounter is going to screw you up proper)

A few years back we were real hot on floating meme bombs at each other, and one that came to the top was "YOUR WIFE IS CHEATING ON YOU"... my ex-girlfriend knows a guy who makes posters like that which are supposed to nag at your insecurities. Stuff like, "YOU COULD HAVE TRIED HARDER" or "HE KNOWS YOU'RE KIND OF STUPID". And these bug me. I really hate them. You have to look at the effect they have on people and ask yourself if that's the energy you want to put into the world.

So that being said, the trick is to come up with thing which are attention grabbing without being aggressive.

Normally I focus on surreal or misleading posters, so this is kind of an interesting thought experiment for me.

Quote from: Dean on January 01, 2011, 10:10:35 AM
Here's another, inspired by "keep calm and carry on". Gender and sexuality neutral (hopefully), but also less 'jarring'.

I like this! The style is very attention grabbing, urgent.

I feel like it's still missing something. It's mysterious, it's intriguing, but I think it needs something... I'm not sure what, but I feel like it could be juxtaposed with a symbol or image or phrase that would lead you deeper without the big reveal.

maybe something that suggests religion or safety? hmmm

more thoughts later

and if I haven't said Hi yet Dean, welcome aboard and you are a bad ass for putting this idea out there

Dean

I made some more, if you couldn't tell.

Fujikoma

Haha! I was thinking of one the other day, photoshop a milk mustache on some serious looking dude's eyebrows with a caption: "Got KAOS?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dean on January 06, 2011, 03:13:17 AM
I made some more, if you couldn't tell.

I really like that last one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dean

The story behind that one is funny. One night as I was going asleep the phrase popped through my head and i sprang out of bed to type it down in my phone. If it isn't obvious (i often am not obvious) this is a pun on the story of eve giving adam the apple. I love this gilt =/= guilt thing, genius.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am not sure what rock we'd have to have lived under our entire lives to not get that, but thanks for ruining the funny anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Dean on January 06, 2011, 01:29:43 PM
The story behind that one is funny. One night as I was going asleep the phrase popped through my head and i sprang out of bed to type it down in my phone. If it isn't obvious (i often am not obvious) this is a pun on the story of eve giving adam the apple. I love this gilt =/= guilt thing, genius.

HUWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--*replaces 'A' key* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

Epimetheus

I love this gilt =/= guilt thing, genius.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just praise your own ingenuity?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 07, 2011, 02:58:41 AM

I am assuming he's being wryly sarcastic because it's so obvious. But it still made it less funny.

Dean

Quote from: Nigel on January 07, 2011, 03:17:16 AM

I am assuming he's being wryly sarcastic because it's so obvious. But it still made it less funny.

I'm actually praising the ingenuity of whoever came up with that (I think I read it in either the apocrypha or the principia). So yeah, not sarcastic.

Phox

Quote from: Dean on January 07, 2011, 07:52:45 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 07, 2011, 03:17:16 AM

I'm actually praising the ingenuity of whoever came up with that (I think I read it in either the apocrypha or the principia). So yeah, not sarcastic.
:facepalm: