News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Co opt or layer in stuff to bring freaks operating in the same area togther?  Makes sense, but how to do it without over - exposing...
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
For the shut-in:  Perhaps we can brainstorm ways to use social network sites to our own advantage.  Our own "circle of friends" may know us to be weirdos, but their circle may not...  Or the various "groups".  This would be different than trolling, it would be more like making things stranger.

Or maybe I'm just babbling here.

Contaminating circles is, actually, my main MO.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

We're not talking about your bathroom habits, Roger...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on December 10, 2009, 02:47:53 PM
Co opt or layer in stuff to bring freaks operating in the same area togther?  Makes sense, but how to do it without over - exposing...

I have the opposite problem.  The Tucson Cabal is at about 64 members.  It's too large, and I'm being viewed as some sort of fucking guru*.  I'm gonna split it up into 8-9 smaller cabals and have them move in different directions.

* This wouldn't be a problem, but this is America.  I expect to be paid for that sort of thing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 03:28:56 PM
We're not talking about your bathroom habits, Roger...

Actually, we are.  You just don't know it.

Freeky

I found a website that is kind of like a local news thing for people who like to blog. You can choose whatever topic you want to write on, as long as you post a few articles a week. I was thinking this would be a good way to get more exposure to the stunts near everyone.

Applied to Tucson, I would be willing to do 'exposure' work, since I can't often get out and do OMGASM stuff (or ever). I have a half formed plan in my head, but I'll need stuff to write about.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 10, 2009, 05:14:04 PM
I found a website that is kind of like a local news thing for people who like to blog. You can choose whatever topic you want to write on, as long as you post a few articles a week. I was thinking this would be a good way to get more exposure to the stunts near everyone.

Applied to Tucson, I would be willing to do 'exposure' work, since I can't often get out and do OMGASM stuff (or ever). I have a half formed plan in my head, but I'll need stuff to write about.

Lemme in on that.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 05:15:32 PM

Lemme in on that.

On my sort-of-plan, or the work?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 10, 2009, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 05:15:32 PM

Lemme in on that.

On my sort-of-plan, or the work?

The web ring.  Unless you want to play with it yourself.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 05:23:42 PM

It's more like an online local newspaper that's gone global. They hire freelance writers to write on the chosen topic. I wouldn't object to advice, and I'll cut you in for it too, but I want to get back on writing again. I miss it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 10, 2009, 05:33:50 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 05:23:42 PM

It's more like an online local newspaper that's gone global. They hire freelance writers to write on the chosen topic. I wouldn't object to advice, and I'll cut you in for it too, but I want to get back on writing again. I miss it.

Sure.  Please for the pming the link.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 02:13:33 PM
In fact, it would be pretty cool to set it up like the AWS was, where different "factions" kept their plots secret from the others, and only revealed it once complete.

It would make it fun for the outside observers, too... We'd start thinking, "another one of ours?" any time we saw something fucked up.

I like this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:54:54 PM
ETA:  After all, I can't speak for you guys, but I'm not looking for people to say "I'm a Discordian", I'm looking for people to BE Discordians.

I think this is the most important factor as well.

As far as "recruitment" goes, all I can say is based on my experiences. Fr'instance: I came across Discordianism by reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy. What made the entire thing so appealing, outside of the mystery and overall "ideals," was a certain sense of "discovery" when I found out that it was actually "really real." That is what will get people to stick. Subtle clues, like postergasm, will get the more observant people to seek it out on their own, and when they finally find it, they will have a certain sense of satisfaction or accomplishment which will lead to a higher willingness to participate.

On the other hand, since I've been "studying" Discordianism, I have also managed to directly "recruit" a few people to participate IRL. I never went into any heavy detail, let alone became preachy, about Discordian history, traditions etc.. I kept to the basics, and people were interested. They wanted a slice. I'm assuming that my two or three assistants have told friends, because now, I'll make a poster and before I even have a chance to hang any myself, they're already all over campus. Getting people to participate also can result in them having a sense of ownership, the value of such a sense can be argued, but in the end those with a sense of ownership are more likely to be active participants.

Now, as far as doing something outside the Discordian box, I'm taking over the campus newspaper. I'm gaining some ground; a (very) small slice of the media. My intentions are to get page 5 every issue for propaganda as well as actual Discordian-thought related articles. This is going to be done anonymously (as much as possible). My hopes are to share this slice with (almost) anyone that wants a piece. This MediaGASM(?) can be both direct or subtle from month to month, depending on which way we want to do it, or whatever is the most effective way to get people to act Discordian.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

hooplala

Here's something I just thought of... not sure if it could be connected to this idea...

I am thinking of writing a press release to send out to different underground papers and free weekly newspapers... the crux of it will rather Lovecraftian, but instead of the Great Old Ones, the terror is Eris.

The story goes as follows: Two hippies decided to create a phony religion to parody Christianity and decided to latch onto an obscure goddess/demon of the Greco-Roman pantheon, Eris.  Directly after creating this pseudo-religion one of the pair becomes ensnared into the assassination of a U.S. president, and his sanity quickly declines afterwards.  The other co-creator decides to back off from the religion and dives into the least mystical and metaphysical career he can find, computer programming, while knowing secretly that the two awoke an insane goddess who delights in destruction and chaos.  All of the increasing madness of the second half of the twentieth century is the direct result of her slowly awakening, and of course, things will only get worse as we get closer to the point when she will be fully awake: December 21, 2012.

I'm thinking of using a pseudonym which would indicate to anyone thinking that the story is bull, but I don't want to post it here, since it would come up quickly in an internet search.

Thoughts?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2009, 08:25:30 PM
Here's something I just thought of... not sure if it could be connected to this idea...

I am thinking of writing a press release to send out to different underground papers and free weekly newspapers... the crux of it will rather Lovecraftian, but instead of the Great Old Ones, the terror is Eris.

The story goes as follows: Two hippies decided to create a phony religion to parody Christianity and decided to latch onto an obscure goddess/demon of the Greco-Roman pantheon, Eris.  Directly after creating this pseudo-religion one of the pair becomes ensnared into the assassination of a U.S. president, and his sanity quickly declines afterwards.  The other co-creator decides to back off from the religion and dives into the least mystical and metaphysical career he can find, computer programming, while knowing secretly that the two awoke an insane goddess who delights in destruction and chaos.  All of the increasing madness of the second half of the twentieth century is the direct result of her slowly awakening, and of course, things will only get worse as we get closer to the point when she will be fully awake: December 21, 2012.

I'm thinking of using a pseudonym which would indicate to anyone thinking that the story is bull, but I don't want to post it here, since it would come up quickly in an internet search.

Thoughts?

Oooh, I like this! It has the underlying truth (enough underlying truth, that is) which would be enough to give anyone who decided to research it the creeps, and is intriguing enough to possibly catch on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."