News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 08, 2014, 11:03:40 PM
I'd like to insert some snarky comment about being a lifetime Mac user, but that has epic fails all its own.

I am not a lifetime Mac user, but I've had one for the last 20 years continuously so I might as well be. Except for my shipping computer and now this shitty touchscreen laptop. My next laptop is going to be a Mac.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 10:40:58 PM
Finally done my article on Libya.  Only three days overdue, but I certainly feel I understand the conflict better now.

Just gotta hyperlink it up and send it out.

Well done.  Now go have a beer.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Junkenstein

8:45AM. Already restrained myself from slapping 3 people in the style of the Three Stooges, four times.

I suspect I won't be able to exercise this level of control by 10.

Increasingly tempted to invest in some kind of hidden camera tech. I know "Did you hear this shit?" isn't a viable defence in court but it's better than fuck all.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

In a bid to stave off madness, I have had the welder create "The Wheel of Misfortune".

It's a large metal disk, on a metal rod. It spins.

I've crudely laminated a variety of emotions such as "Happy" "Sad" "On Glue" "Lonely" "Masturating Furiously" and so on. These have been attached and with a vice and another rod, it has begun to predict the future.

My previous phone call was "Hissy fit" and my next is apparently "Coming down from Meth". Feel free to add suggestions.

It's amazing how much being able to shout "SPIN THE WHEEL" can improve your day. It's the little things, you know?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

"Daily Mail reader"

"David Icke enthusiast"

"Relative of George Osbourne"

"Smartest Guy in the Room"

Junkenstein

Suu

My poor husband keeps forgetting I'm back in school.  :sad: I hope he can make it through the last week without a total breakdown. Holy shit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 08, 2014, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 10:22:24 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 08, 2014, 10:14:44 PM
Vista

:nope:

Vista was better than 8.  8 is an offense to God & Mankind. 

I will never, ever buy a Microsoft or HP product again.

The problem with abandoning Microsoft is that you're stuck with Apple. It's sort of like deciding to quit smoking cigarettes only to take up smoking meth.

I mean, unless you're one of those weirdos that can figure out linux, in which case kudos to you and your strangely wired brain.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Honestly though, I really don't understand why people hate 8. I think it's the best OS since XP. I've literally never had a problem with it and it's great with a touchscreen interface (which is clearly what it was really designed for).

OTOH, I'm not what anyone would consider a "high-powered" user.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Raz Tech

There's also the new chromebook OS that came out.  It's surprisingly not bad, just lacking a few functionalities that are necessary for me, but probably not so big a deal for most people.  For example, it cannot open encrypted PDF's.  I feel like it could be a viable windows replacement with a few tweaks. Also, no viruses for it yet.  Oh and you have to be connected to the internet all the time, which kind of sucks.

Cain

It's probably because 7 was so good.  It was essentially XP, updated for newer computers and with even better functionality.

8 might be OK, on an objective level, but after 7 anything less would be, and was, a disappointment.  Also, based on what I've seen, 8 is a fantastic OS...for a tablet. But if someone wants a more customisable PC experience, then they're probably not going to have a good time.

Faust

*heavy breathing*

Windows 8 has one major flaw, which is consistency across metro and desktop. At work I come accross it a lot when I need something like services msc which opens only in the desktop mode but the most common one that windows 8 home users will run into is connecting to their home network

In metro (or whatever the tile thing is called now) you click to connect to the network, fine we can do that, but should you have to give a custom setting like dns, gateway or ip, it will force you to the desktop in "network and sharing center".

But from the desktop you want to connect to a network? You right click the Icon to connect to the network, but instead of network and sharing center you get the ridiculous black tile again.

Either have all the settings in one, or have all the settings in both.

I guess the reason for this is that each one had to be gradually ported over to the new interface but rather than delay release for small stuff like this they just released it inconsistent. It will improve, but it will take time.

Sales wise it is another dead on arrival like vista, but it's certainly not as flawed as vista, and as someone who was very hostile to it when it came out I have had very few issues with other then irritating things like what I describe.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 09, 2014, 09:19:29 AM
In a bid to stave off madness, I have had the welder create "The Wheel of Misfortune".

It's a large metal disk, on a metal rod. It spins.

I've crudely laminated a variety of emotions such as "Happy" "Sad" "On Glue" "Lonely" "Masturating Furiously" and so on. These have been attached and with a vice and another rod, it has begun to predict the future.

My previous phone call was "Hissy fit" and my next is apparently "Coming down from Meth". Feel free to add suggestions.

It's amazing how much being able to shout "SPIN THE WHEEL" can improve your day. It's the little things, you know?

I've been writing Pipi Lonshanks stories in notepad.

It's like Pipi Longstockings, only she throws people out of windows and picks fights with the Scots.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Why all the linux hate? Ubuntu and Mint are both built for non-nerds.