News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

the value of information

Started by LHX, January 09, 2006, 06:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This is your brain on info...

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: CainThis is your brain on info...

This is correct.

THE ONLY INFO YOU NEED IS TO KNOW THAT INFO IS BAD FOR YOU!
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

LHX

Quote from: Irreverend Death to Poultry, KSC
Quote from: CainThis is your brain on info...

This is correct.

THE ONLY INFO YOU NEED IS TO KNOW THAT INFO IS BAD FOR YOU!

who gave you this information?
neat hell

LMNO

I think the Yacub stories need to be addressed on their own, so I won,Äôt right now.

Quote2
if you take a look at just how absurd the current situation on this planet seems to be
it suggests that it may have taken something equally as absurd to set it into motion

and i use the term 'absurd' purposely
not unjust
not unfair
not wrong
ABSURD
does not make sense

It doesn,Äôt seem so absurd once you factor in the cognitive dissonance that seem to be built into our social system, most notably how we are all primates, with primate pack hierarchy status games seemingly instinctual, but our higher mentality rejects these impulses.  We become confused and conflicted, because we don,Äôt know why we have these impulses, i.e. we forget we are primates.  From the confusion and conflict arises the absurdity you see.

Quote3
the fact that people have the ability to 'make choices' and 'tell lies' suggests that something really fucked up may have happened at some point early on

I,Äôm still not sure how you got to that point.  Our larger brains gave us the ability to meta-think, that is, think about thinking, as well as hypothesize, & imagine.  And other animals make choices and lie all the time.  The difference is that we moralize about it.

LHX

Quote from: eroticI think the Yacub stories need to be addressed on their own, so I won,Äôt right now.
as i said
i only see this as a legend of INTENT
nothing more

It doesn,Äôt seem so absurd once you factor in the cognitive dissonance that seem to be built into our social system, most notably how we are all primates, with primate pack hierarchy status games seemingly instinctual, but our higher mentality rejects these impulses.  We become confused and conflicted, because we don,Äôt know why we have these impulses, i.e. we forget we are primates.  From the confusion and conflict arises the absurdity you see.

i do disagree
when i factor the intent into this
i see the confusion resulting from a time possibly in the collective memory of man
we get conflicted because we know that these impulses are self-destructive
the absurdity arises from the fact that we have a concept of 'heaven' but still fall victim to trickery and playing tricks

the body of man may have evolved from something that swung from trees
but
man never swung from trees

Our larger brains gave us the ability to meta-think, that is, think about thinking, as well as hypothesize, & imagine.  And other animals make choices and lie all the time.  The difference is that we moralize about it.

our larger brains are what they are
morals seem to be a by-product of trying to control the universe

there is no reason to say that animals 'lie' the same way men lie
eg
lying about perceptions of things that might happen
sending others out to do your bidding on false pretenses
saying the dog ate your homework
neat hell

LMNO

Hmmm.. It seems you've got quite a theory/theology going here.

I'm afraid its a bit too big for me to start deconstructing right now.  Sorry.

I'll try to take on bits of it here and there, when I get a chance.

LHX

Quote from: eroticHmmm.. It seems you've got quite a theory/theology going here.

I'm afraid its a bit too big for me to start deconstructing right now.  Sorry.

I'll try to take on bits of it here and there, when I get a chance.

hmm
maybe
i never really noticed that

just trying to make connections

also trying to see if i can muster up something that  rises above the level of bad science fiction

this was a good thread
neat hell