News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Ben Shapiro

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My mentor and former boss has some big mothafuckin' news:

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2014/10/portland_state_university_wins.html

QuoteThe National Institutes of Health selected Portland State University for a $24 million grant, the largest in PSU history, designed to help grow the number of biomedical and health researchers who are Latino, Pacific Islander, Alaska native, African-American, Native American, low-income, raised in foster care or have a disability.

Here's Dr. Crespo and two of my mentees from this past summer, in the very, very odd building I go to school in:

HOW CUTE ARE THEY? SO CUTE.

The press release:

http://www.pdx.edu/news/portland-state-receives-24-million-help-diverse-and-underrepresented-students-largest-research-grant

Needless to say, I am incredibly excited about this.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

That is good news.

You should apply several times, for each ethnicity and social group you belong to.  You could get your course to pay for itself.

In other news, I hate modding.  Look, just because I've given you artificial intelligence so you're not as dumb as a sack of bricks does not mean you can wander off in the middle of a scripted scene to kill things, thus breaking the game.  Or, rather, it shouldn't.

This.  This is why God has a problem with Free Will, right here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2014, 01:53:46 PM
That is good news.

You should apply several times, for each ethnicity and social group you belong to.  You could get your course to pay for itself.

In other news, I hate modding.  Look, just because I've given you artificial intelligence so you're not as dumb as a sack of bricks does not mean you can wander off in the middle of a scripted scene to kill things, thus breaking the game.  Or, rather, it shouldn't.

This.  This is why God has a problem with Free Will, right here.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I don't know why this made me giggle so, but it did.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am just imagining your intelligence-enriched NPCs being incredibly irritating, and you being all "THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND".  :lol:

Cain

That's pretty much exactly what happened.  Scripted scene, the NPC is meant to be riding behind me.  But, a wolf spawns (a wolf is not supposed to spawn).  Instead of ignoring it, despite the fact he is invulnerable and so cannot take damage (the normal flag for combat for this NPC), he jumps off his horse and starts hacking away at the wolf.  Even better, the other members of his faction recognise he's in combat and because they're all the same faction, they jump off their horses to go fuck up the wolf as well.

I just wanted you guys to be a bit more aggressive with blocking and power attacks, jeez.  :sad:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2014, 04:07:06 PM
That's pretty much exactly what happened.  Scripted scene, the NPC is meant to be riding behind me.  But, a wolf spawns (a wolf is not supposed to spawn).  Instead of ignoring it, despite the fact he is invulnerable and so cannot take damage (the normal flag for combat for this NPC), he jumps off his horse and starts hacking away at the wolf.  Even better, the other members of his faction recognise he's in combat and because they're all the same faction, they jump off their horses to go fuck up the wolf as well.

I just wanted you guys to be a bit more aggressive with blocking and power attacks, jeez.  :sad:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Dildo Argentino

We seem to be having a bit of a revolution over here.. I think Hungary scored a first in having demonstrators break the windows of the ruling party's headquarters by throwing dead computer bits. The policy that finally provoked public violence: a proposal to impose a 75 cents per gigabyte internet tax.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Cain

A good revolution, or a Jobbik approved style revolution?

The Wizard Joseph

Three nice words about my job.

Free unlimited coffee.

Hospital, not industrial, grade.
Almost worth the heightened chance
of getting all of the ebola.
Free unlimited coffee
Fit for consumption
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2014, 08:16:19 PM
A good revolution, or a Jobbik approved style revolution?

Wannabe ultras were present and surprisingly pleasant (they did most of the throwing as well).
It's fitting that fanatical football fans are at the forefront of the movement against a dictator wannabe who is a mad footie fanatic himself.
Hardcore Jobbikers (xenophobia, antisemitism, irredentisim, "deep-Hungarianism") - not in evidence at all. I heard exactly one anti-Roma comment, the woman was booed (by me, mostly). Being in a demo with a massive and solid dog is fun.

Dildo Argentino

Unless they back down on the Internet tax notion, a repeat performance is promised for Tuesday night.

I personally think the US has decided that the Orbán regime is over, and so it is. A large, feathered and taloned leg has landed on this country, with the bear's paw hovering over it, and there is a mighty, echoing screech: MINE!

Cain

Sounds likely.  My thoughts ran to similar lines - courting Moscow is foolish, especially when one is a NATO state.  One would think a Hungarian politician might understand the concept of jealous patrons better than some others, but I suppose if Orban has proven anything, it's that one need not be aware of history in order to repeat its mistakes.