News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Fashion Design: Steampunk

Started by Kaienne, September 25, 2007, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Lysergic on September 25, 2007, 06:08:46 PM
Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on September 25, 2007, 06:05:42 PM
you still didnt answer my question

chick or dude?

and i see so much of this "steampunk" thing around here(although they just drop it in a "goth" or "industrial" category), it isnt anything new to me. no matter what, when you think youre doing something unique and new and being an individual... theres a whole group of people doing the exact same thing.

so..... chick or dude and are you the same person with the cat ear avatar (who i thought was a chick)

You know what Androgynous is CS?
That's Kai.

Started off with an x and y though for sake of clarity.

yes dear, i do
but youre anatomically either an innie or an outtie.
but since he answered me i can call him, him.... instead of "it" or "that"

and yeah K- a lot of the goths are, how do you say... pristine
but there are some "trashy"(for lack of a better word) ones too.

Kaienne

It's definitely part of the whole Goth/Punk umbrella subculture, at any rate. J'm just always in favour of more detail over more simplification. J enjoy when there's exactly a word that perfectly encapsulates an exact concept.
In a constant state of losing The Game.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Kaienne on September 25, 2007, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 04:36:29 PM
Okay, Ok.

Nyah nyah, you got told.

:sodamonitor:

sorry LMNO, usually i'd pick your side, but this time .. damn man did you miss your coffee today or something? you can do better than this right?

still. i'm enjoying this thread. be back later!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

For what it's worth, I don't know which is more hilarious:

Discordians shitting on Discordians for not fitting in
or
Discordians rationalizing their non conformism to other Discordians

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on September 25, 2007, 07:06:08 PM
For what it's worth, I don't know which is more hilarious:

Discordians shitting on Discordians for not fitting in
or
Discordians rationalizing their non conformism to other Discordians

Both!

LOL in the Law, LOL under Wit!

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Hi Kai! Glad to see you wandering back around here ;-)

I think, though, that I would have to differ on your categorization of your outfit as Steampunk. It appears to me, that it may fit much more in with Post-Apocalyptic Punk, Punk Grunge or something like that. Usually Steampunk tends to follow a older noir style, punked out. Think 1920's -1940's (EDIT: Actually I think 19th century, up to WW II may be a better swath of time) style of clothing, punked. Frock coats, waistcoats, vests, etc. and you can still make it patchy.

For inspiration, there are a lot of Anime (Steamboy, Steam Detectives, Nausicca, Howell's Moving Castle) and even Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow that [edit:] may inspire the style.

AFK

Heh, Garfield pushed Odie off the counter again. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 25, 2007, 07:27:55 PM

I think, though, that I would have to differ on your categorization of your outfit as Steampunk. It appears to me, that it may fit much more in with Post-Apocalyptic Punk, Punk Grunge or something like that. Usually Steampunk tends to follow a older noir style, punked out. Think 1920's -1940's style of clothing, punked. Frock coats, waistcoats, vests, etc. and you can still make it patchy.

For inspiration, there are a lot of Anime (Steamboy, Steam Detectives, Nausicca, Howell's Moving Castle) and even Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow that cover the style.

See, Rat gets it, and he's what, 60 years old?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 08:22:10 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on September 25, 2007, 07:27:55 PM

I think, though, that I would have to differ on your categorization of your outfit as Steampunk. It appears to me, that it may fit much more in with Post-Apocalyptic Punk, Punk Grunge or something like that. Usually Steampunk tends to follow a older noir style, punked out. Think 1920's -1940's style of clothing, punked. Frock coats, waistcoats, vests, etc. and you can still make it patchy.

For inspiration, there are a lot of Anime (Steamboy, Steam Detectives, Nausicca, Howell's Moving Castle) and even Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow that cover the style.

See, Rat gets it, and he's what, 60 years old?

WHAT?!

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Suu

Okay, my turn.

Steampunk =/= yuo.

Steampunk.
Steampunk.

Steam Punk is the name for a genre of science fiction fantasy that is set in a fictionalized version of 1800's Victorian England. Ask Richter, I've been contemplating an outfit for a while. And when I research a costuming style, it takes me MONTHS.

You = androgynous 4chan anonymous wearing Hot Topic fishnet with a gas mask.

Do not insult potentially incredible and amazing clothing styles that require a LOT of work with your high school punk fail. Kthx.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kaienne

Canada doesn't have Hot Topics, asshole.
Using those pictures as a reference, I can see the differences and will admit my misunderstanding. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.
In a constant state of losing The Game.

Suu

Being Canadian is not an excuse. There's alternatives I'm sure. (Hot Topic IS owned by Gap..)

And for the record, just do some research before pompously asserting that you're part of a certain fashion stereotype.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Kaienne on September 25, 2007, 02:53:19 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 02:22:10 PM
Djembe?

FAIL.

Unless, of course, you've studied in Ghana.

Are you fucking retarded? Like, do you really seriously believe that in order for someone to be accomplished at playing a goddamned drum, the simplest and most ancient of instruments, one that's been in all kinds of cultures all over the world, one has to fly to another fucking continent and seek training with some kind of native tribe? Like, this kind of comment actually passes in your mind as a valid criticism? Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Quote from: hunter s.durden on September 25, 2007, 01:45:30 PM
Dude, wannabe chick.

Why do you have to dance around it?

YES. I'm genderqueer. It makes you uncomfortable. I GET IT. THANK YOU.

HAY GUYS. HOW ABOUT ITT you discriminate against me for the original reason of the thread? Ask me "Oh God, you actually go out in public like that?" Or how about "You look like you fell out of a dumpster." It's really easy folks! I know it's seems difficult for a bunch of stale-ass, "jaded" fucks as yourselves to acknowledge that it's okay to be different, I understand that. But come on. This is lame even by your standards.

Thank you Vex and Rev, for actually posting something legitimately amusing.

Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 02:49:25 PM
Steampunk...

I don't think you're using the word right...

QuoteSteampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history–style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality. It is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.

If those pics are an accurate representation, you seem to be sporting an "industrial gutterpunk" look.

Also, I'm a little worried as to what you must smell like.

I had always used Steampunk in a post-apocalyptic context. Like, world's been nuked or something, now people are back to using steam power to run salvaged modern appliances and such.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I came.