News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Fashion Design: Steampunk

Started by Kaienne, September 25, 2007, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaienne

Here are a few pictures of my steampunk outfit. One's taken inside a nightclub, the other two in Kensington Market in Toronto. You can't see them in any of the pictures, but pretty much anywhere you find me you can find my djembe drum, carrier bag, army-surplus backpack with a sleeping bag strapped to the top of it, and my flag.
Well, not at the nightclub. Heh.

In a constant state of losing The Game.

Sir Squid Diddimus

we have a lot of that here.

i have to ask cause i cant figure it out:

chick or dude?

(dont be offended and dont show me babies w/ gender neutral colors. i cant tell w/ those damn things either)

Kaienne

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

hunter s.durden

Dude, wannabe chick.

Why do you have to dance around it?
This space for rent.

Payne

Because NOT dancing makes you a consumerist whore. Or something.

LMNO

Djembe?

FAIL.

Unless, of course, you've studied in Ghana.

AFK

Steampunk?

What's next, Laundrycore?

Yeah, I'm with Vex, I think I'm too old to get it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Steampunk...

I don't think you're using the word right...

QuoteSteampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history–style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality. It is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.

If those pics are an accurate representation, you seem to be sporting an "industrial gutterpunk" look.

Also, I'm a little worried as to what you must smell like.

Kaienne

Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 02:22:10 PM
Djembe?

FAIL.

Unless, of course, you've studied in Ghana.

Are you fucking retarded? Like, do you really seriously believe that in order for someone to be accomplished at playing a goddamned drum, the simplest and most ancient of instruments, one that's been in all kinds of cultures all over the world, one has to fly to another fucking continent and seek training with some kind of native tribe? Like, this kind of comment actually passes in your mind as a valid criticism? Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Quote from: hunter s.durden on September 25, 2007, 01:45:30 PM
Dude, wannabe chick.

Why do you have to dance around it?

YES. I'm genderqueer. It makes you uncomfortable. I GET IT. THANK YOU.

HAY GUYS. HOW ABOUT ITT you discriminate against me for the original reason of the thread? Ask me "Oh God, you actually go out in public like that?" Or how about "You look like you fell out of a dumpster." It's really easy folks! I know it's seems difficult for a bunch of stale-ass, "jaded" fucks as yourselves to acknowledge that it's okay to be different, I understand that. But come on. This is lame even by your standards.

Thank you Vex and Rev, for actually posting something legitimately amusing.

Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 02:49:25 PM
Steampunk...

I don't think you're using the word right...

QuoteSteampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history–style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality. It is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.

If those pics are an accurate representation, you seem to be sporting an "industrial gutterpunk" look.

Also, I'm a little worried as to what you must smell like.

I had always used Steampunk in a post-apocalyptic context. Like, world's been nuked or something, now people are back to using steam power to run salvaged modern appliances and such.

AFK

I still don't get the name though, Steampunk.  But then again, I really don't get the emo or goth stuff either.  It seemed like it was much simpler when I was young.  You were either a preppie, a jock, a nerd, or a poor kid.  But I suppose the explosion of net culture and all that jazz has made it all different now. 

LMNO

I see nothing in your appearence that indicates "post apocalyptic steam power".

I see a fishnet shirt, a bondage cuff, elbow pads, ridiculously baggy trousers, and a length of chain.

Oh, and a gas mask.

All of the above (including the ags mask) are previous innovations first worn by rivetheads, industrial goths, ravers, and bike messengers.

Also.

If I hear one more asshole think that just because they can almost keep time to a techno song, they can call themselves a 'drummer', I'm finding a clock tower.

You're playing "Louie, Louie" on a Stradavarius, dickhead.

There are at least 10 basic tones on a djembe, and about 2 dozen variations to each one of them.

You'd be lucky to find two of them.

LMNO
-sick of "boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom" drum circles.

Cramulus

Kaienne

Quote from: LMNO on September 25, 2007, 03:10:21 PM
I see nothing in your appearence that indicates "post apocalyptic steam power".

I see a fishnet shirt, a bondage cuff, elbow pads, ridiculously baggy trousers, and a length of chain.

Oh, and a gas mask.

All of the above (including the ags mask) are previous innovations first worn by rivetheads, industrial goths, ravers, and bike messengers.

Also.

If I hear one more asshole think that just because they can almost keep time to a techno song, they can call themselves a 'drummer', I'm finding a clock tower.

You're playing "Louie, Louie" on a Stradavarius, dickhead.

There are at least 10 basic tones on a djembe, and about 2 dozen variations to each one of them.

You'd be lucky to find two of them.

LMNO
-sick of "boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom" drum circles.

The word Steampunk describes the world setting in which things that are adjective to it appear. In a post apocalyptic world, a gas mask might be necessary, as the air is probably unbreathably dirty. Clothes would be ripped and patched and mended and repaired numerous times, and since new stuff isn't being churned out of the factory, decoration would often come in the form of salvage. Since it's imperative to travel light and move often, as safety is not a common factor, one wouldn't have the luxury of being able to keep photo albums or scrap books; as such, were one of the inclination to carry a visual record of where they've been and what they've gone, tacking on a trinket here and there would be a natural recourse. Mixed in with fashion is utility; accessories such as elbow pads (and the gas mask, and goggles, etc.) are not only stylish, but also protect one while, say, salvaging through ruins or trying to fight or escape robbers, which may happen on a regular basis.
The point to the design is to appear like one is from such a harsh world; not that you drive a train or own a steam-powered refridgerator.

As for the drums, I'll have a sample up in a week or less. Piss and moan about it in that thread, would you?

AFK

Okay, makes sense.

I'll go back to my Marmaduke and Family Circus funnies now.