News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Congrats, American women, you are now 2nd class citizens to Corporations!

Started by Suu, June 30, 2014, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/06/30/justices-can-make-employers-cover-contraception/wQJYhgQf3Jg5e4x5HXeLmM/story.html

That's right, SCOTUS ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby. So not only are they not required to provide affordable birth control and abortion options under federally mandated ACA, this just opened a can of worms for other religious exemptions. Like, I dunno, vaccinations.

We're all gonna have lots of babies and then die of Smallpox, thanks to Jesus.

Fuck this country.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Q. G. Pennyworth

I was really hoping the buffer zone one was a sacrifice so they would rule correctly on this :(

LMNO

Suu

I just kind of want to go outside and scream right now.

In fact, I think I will.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Question, in America what are the laws regarding time off for pregnancy and similar?

I'm just wondering because in the UK, even though we have a national health service, we also have rules that mean companies above a certain size contribute significantly towards paid leave for new mothers, which is not exactly small fry.  So if we had an American health system otherwise, it'd still be in their best interests to cover birth control and abortion costs, as so not to lose valuable female workers.

I realise the Vatican, one of the main supporters of this ruling, does not see things this way, viewing women as mostly disposable idiots to be tolerated so long as they are in a nunnery and otherwise avoided because they have cooties.  And of course the American welfare system is a lot smaller than the UK's, so the main loss is of the worker themselves, and depending on the industry they may be viewed as quite replaceable.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on June 30, 2014, 04:01:32 PM
Question, in America what are the laws regarding time off for pregnancy and similar?

We have none.

The Johnny

Free contraception to me just sounded something from fantasy land, and here we are.  :|
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Suu

This is more than just about women's reproductive rights, this allows any corporation to use religion as an exemption as they see fit. You work for a Scientologist? Get ready for some fucked up healthcare that involves taking vitamins and going for walks 3x a day from your cell in Clearwater, because that's what their religion mandates. You work for a Christian Scientist? No doctors at all. Faith will heal you. You work for a Jehovah's Witness? No blood transfusions. You work for a Jew or Muslim? Certain medications contain gelatin derived from pork.

Oh, and then there's going to be vaccinations.

This is just opened a can of worms that we should not even have. Corporations now have the right to wave "religious liberty" in the face of any employee and they have to bend over and take it. God has been placed on a pedestal above human rights. Welcome to the Dark Ages, in corporate theocracy form.

LMNO

Quote from: The Suu on June 30, 2014, 04:12:55 PM

We have none.

More or less, but there's a bit of nuance:

Quote from: WikipediaFederal legislation:
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, signed into law during President Bill Clinton's first term, guaranteed maternity leave to many new mothers across the nation. It mandated a maximum of 12 weeks unpaid leave to mothers for the purpose of attending to a newborn or newly adopted child. However, the act did not attain universal coverage as it included several limiting stipulations. In order to receive maternity leave, employees must work in a firm of 50 or more employees, maintain employment with the same business for 12 months and have accumulated at least 1,250 working hours over those 12 months.

State legislation:
Paid maternity leave by state
Many states have supplemented these federal regulations and provided more extensive maternity leave benefits. There are currently 25 states that expand upon federal legislation in some manner. Fourteen of these states, along with the District of Columbia, have addressed eligibility requirements by lowering the firm-size threshold from 50 or more employees down to as low as 10 employees.
Seven other states, in addition to the District of Columbia, have adopted more generous maternity leave lengths that allow longer absences for the purpose of child rearing. Moreover, some states have enacted legislation enhancing the benefits of leave programs. California, New Jersey and Washington, for instance, operate programs that require private-sector employers to pay their employees who utilize maternity leave at partial replacement rates. Similarly, three other states and the District of Columbia designate childbirth as a temporary disability thus guaranteeing mothers paid maternity leave through Disability Insurance (TDI) provisions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave_in_the_United_States

The Johnny

It goes with the tendency of allowing to discriminate customerd due to religious beliefs... where was that?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Huh.

Still, as an employer, I'd rather not have an employee off work because they couldn't get coverage for contraception or an abortion where possible.  I mean, you have to advertise, train somebody up...and it's all for 12 weeks anyway.  The cost/benefit suggests a loss, regardless.

I know, though.  The Free Market does not run on rationality.  It runs on some kind of Ayn Rand-ised bastard A=A bullshit magical formula calling itself rationality.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 30, 2014, 04:43:03 PM
Quote from: The Suu on June 30, 2014, 04:12:55 PM

We have none.

Balls.  FMLA.

True, but only applies under certain conditions.  see above wiki quote.