Roger/Waffle pointlessly pushing iron up in the air thread (warning: geekery)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 26, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

That looks remarkably familiar.  At least Wednesday and Friday.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Bulldog Powerbuilding program. Looking forward to see what results it'll bring
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am considering starting to lift. My lower body is crazy strong but my upper body could use something to strive against.

Where do I start? Do I just go to the gym and tell them that I want to lift?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on July 22, 2015, 10:22:56 AM
Find a gym with a good PT.

That is right out. Absolutely not. I hate personal trainers with a burning passion and will accept the tutelage of one that stays the fuck away from me when not in immediate demand. I won't have some pushy fucktard hovering over me.

I have my choice of two gyms: the one at the University or 24-Hour Fitness. Obviously, the one at the University is the one I'll be using because fuck 24-Hour Fitness.

Now that that's settled, do I just go to the gym and tell them that I want to lift? Or should I just fuck it and go for rock climbing?

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 22, 2015, 03:55:11 PM
That is right out. Absolutely not. I hate personal trainers with a burning passion and will accept the tutelage of one that stays the fuck away from me when not in immediate demand. I won't have some pushy fucktard hovering over me.

It's best made plain that you want instruction on form (If you do need such instruction, and if you don't know if you do or not, you do...On account of form is the difference between getting stronger and a permanent rotator injury), and not some dumbass hollering "ONE MORE REP".  You can have your iPod scream that at you if you need it, way cheaper.

The gym is better than rock climbing, I think.  Personal opinion, obviously.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 22, 2015, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 22, 2015, 03:55:11 PM

It's best made plain that you want instruction on form (If you do need such instruction, and if you don't know if you do or not, you do...On account of form is the difference between getting stronger and a permanent rotator injury), and not some dumbass hollering "ONE MORE REP".  You can have your iPod scream that at you if you need it, way cheaper.

The gym is better than rock climbing, I think.  Personal opinion, obviously.

Yes, I know I will need instruction on form, because like any physically rigorous sport, injury is a possibility.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So then, is the actual answer to my question "yes, go to your gym and tell them you want to lift weights"?

Is there any reading, prep, or other information that I might find helpful?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 03:56:10 AM
So then, is the actual answer to my question "yes, go to your gym and tell them you want to lift weights"?

Yes.  Tell them "powerlifting, but no intent to compete in the foreseeable future".   

QuoteIs there any reading, prep, or other information that I might find helpful?

Not really, at least not that I've seen.  The real trick is finding a trainer that's worth a damn.  Many trainers are basically muscle heads.  What you want to do is find out what training they've had (A proper trainer will have a bag of anatomy courses under their belt), and then go slow.  If the trainer is crap, you'll know right away (and if it's questionable, talk to Waffle or myself).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2015, 04:27:00 AM

Yes.  Tell them "powerlifting, but no intent to compete in the foreseeable future".   

QuoteIs there any reading, prep, or other information that I might find helpful?

Not really, at least not that I've seen.  The real trick is finding a trainer that's worth a damn.  Many trainers are basically muscle heads.  What you want to do is find out what training they've had (A proper trainer will have a bag of anatomy courses under their belt), and then go slow.  If the trainer is crap, you'll know right away (and if it's questionable, talk to Waffle or myself).

Sweet

Whoever will be there is most likely going to be a health student.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 04:36:30 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2015, 04:27:00 AM

Sweet

Whoever will be there is most likely going to be a health student.

You'll be glad you did.  My gut is gone.  It has apparently migrated into my shoulders and arms.

XXXL shirt now, because the XXL gets pulled up into my armpits.  Seriously, the difference since I saw you last is pretty dramatic.

I can't wait to see you all muscled up.  TERROR HAS A NEW LOOK.
Molon Lube