News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Two or Three Most Important Discordian Texts... NOT PD, BIP or CTC?

Started by Jaidyn Casey, January 07, 2013, 01:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaidyn Casey

Heya everyone. :-)

I was curious about the view people have regarding this subject. The reason is that a good book that I have found is the Discordia Totalis which as you may or may not know is a collection of 6 texts:

The Loompanics PD
Metaclysmia Discordia
Summa Discordia
Book of Eris
Zenarchy & Zenarchist's Cookbook
Apocrypha Discordia

This is a very good collection, but I was wanting to assemble a new collection which will include

The Loompanics PD
The BIP
Chao Te Ching
?
?

I am going with the BIP and the Chao Te Ching since I feel these two in addition to the PD really encapsulates (IMHO) Discordianism for me. The BIP and CTC really excite me.
I know people may not agree on the final couple choices I should include but I was hoping to get some input regarding this collection. I am not just wanting to have this be for myself, I was hoping to share this collection so I was looking for some kind of consensus if even possible. I am wanting to choose from these:

Summa Discordia
Aprocrypha Discordia
The ZenArchist Cookbook
The Book of Eris
Metaclysmia Discordia

The Wise Book of Baloney
Et Cetera Discordia
Hey Jim!
Musings of a Faceless Man
OR KILL ME!!
The Book of Chaos and it's Virtue
The Devia Discordia
​Erisiana

I am actually taking time to read all of these and enjoy them all, but just really wanted to get an updated "Totalis" and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.  :)
Having and not having
both create frustration.
"Possessing" always comes served with a golden apple.
Being "The Prettiest One" cultivates pride and makes others ugly.
Not being "The Prettiest One" cultivates envy and leads to war.
Expand your definition of Self to include the Universe;
This way you can have it all with nothing to lose.
- "Chao Te Ching" Chapter 13

Jaidyn Casey

Well I thought I would give some further info as to why I want to do this. I admit I am not adding original writing of my own but I loved the concept of the Discordia Totalis. A combination of 6 popular Discordian books. But some of them just don't move me like they do others.

I have been reading through many of the these threads here, and as the Chao Te Ching and the Black Iron Prison show... Discordianism evolves. I know the BIP has had a allot of controversy but I am a huge fan of it. And while I AM one of those who feel the BIP is indeed a bit darker, it is so only in tone... not outlook. I think that is needed in Discordianism. And I am actually seeing allot more of that "darkness" through much of the material coming out of this forum. I do see the humor but it isn't as blatant or obnoxious as I have seen in other texts.

Just my opinion.

This is NOT a bad thing as far as I am concerned. In fact another of my favorite pieces that I have seen come out of here is the short text "Hey Jim!". LOVE IT!!! And that definitely seems a bit dark.

So what I decided to do was to do a 5-book compilation similar to the Discordia Totalis. But in the spirit of this forum and dedicated to everyone here, I did a simple compilation of books that have been produced via this forum and made a "prinicipadiscordia.com" version of the Totalis. With the inclusion of the Loompanics 4th/5th edition of the PD, I call it:

Along with a few random documents spread throughout the book and the PD, it contains

The Wise Book of Baloney,
The Et Cetera Discordia, (great book, but at 127MB, it pushes the overall size to 147MB)
The Black Iron Prison
and The Chao Te Ching.

I felt that these texts for the most part do a good job of representing the Discordia I fell in love with. The kind that I see coming out of here. There isn't as much "ha ha" and such in these texts although there is some, I really tried to focus on the texts that... while staying humorous, really demonstrated what I "feel" Discordianism is.

I am aware that Discordianism is different for everyone and "my" Discordianism may not mesh with yours. No worries. ^_^
I just hope this compilation of what I feel are some of the more important texts produced here can be enjoyed and appreciated by others.

No, I am not putting this through lulu or anything like that. I am just treating this like all the other books our site hosts. So yeah, sure you could download each of these pieces individually but I liked the idea of one PDF. I believe with the Totalis and my PDF together, you could have a very good picture of the evolution of Discordianism... albeit incomplete.

I hope you all enjoy.  :)

Oh... and if I may be permitted to momentarily be a Pinealist... there are exactly 500 pages in my PDF.  :fnord:
Having and not having
both create frustration.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds like a really excellent compilation of a lot of books that work really well together! They are certainly among my favorites, as well. I like them because they follow a more "serious" philosophical path, the underpinnings of which are my favorite thing about the PD, rather than being just plain silly, as many Discordian works seem to be. Not that there isn't room for the silliness, but the thing which attracted me to the PD originally is its more serious undertone.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jaidyn Casey

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 09, 2013, 01:52:43 AM
That sounds like a really excellent compilation of a lot of books that work really well together! They are certainly among my favorites, as well. I like them because they follow a more "serious" philosophical path, the underpinnings of which are my favorite thing about the PD, rather than being just plain silly, as many Discordian works seem to be. Not that there isn't room for the silliness, but the thing which attracted me to the PD originally is its more serious undertone.

Exactly! That is my exact same frame of mind with these books. It is how I like my Discordia and am glad I am not alone in that.  :)

Thank you Nigel.
Having and not having
both create frustration.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I've got nothing to add. I just wanted to say that you make me think of meteors hitting fried chicken restaurants.

Which also makes me want to get fried chicken.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jaidyn Casey

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on January 09, 2013, 03:40:59 AM
I've got nothing to add. I just wanted to say that you make me think of meteors hitting fried chicken restaurants.

:lulz: Damn you, now I want fried chicken. I think I shall go get some.  :lulz:
Having and not having
both create frustration.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Trisha Takinawa on January 09, 2013, 03:55:02 AM
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on January 09, 2013, 03:40:59 AM

:lulz: Damn you, now I want fried chicken. I think I shall go get some.  :lulz:

Pasta for me. I'll do fried chicken in a couple of days.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

I also fully support this project.

Also, if you liked "Hey Jim", have you heard The Spider Project yet?  We've been setting the text to music (for a given value of "music").  It's stalled as of late, only about halfway through, but there are still 23 ( :fnord: ) to enjoy for the moment.

Jaidyn Casey

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 09, 2013, 01:41:27 PM
I also fully support this project.

Also, if you liked "Hey Jim", have you heard The Spider Project yet?  We've been setting the text to music (for a given value of "music").  It's stalled as of late, only about halfway through, but there are still 23 ( :fnord: ) to enjoy for the moment.

Thank you for saying so LMNO. It means allot to me that you like this concept.

As for the Spider Project, I actually was at the site for that last night and I did download a few of the tracks. I have up to Rant 11. I am loving them so far. I will certainly be getting more and anxiously await the remainder.
Having and not having
both create frustration.

tjg92

Would a Lulu version of this be possible? I recently got a copy of the Discordia Totalis from Lulu and I love the feeling of holding a giant tome of Discordian wisdom.

LMNO

The main issue with that is that you can't give away free Lulu books, or even "at cost".  Which means someone will be making a profit on KopyLeft, or on the IP of others'.

The CTC got around this by visibly offering the text for free on line; but it also worked because everyone was really cool about it, and agreed to the publishing terms before the whole thing was finished.  I also dump all profits into sever costs.

If you wanted to get permission from everyone involved with these texts, and could somehow make them all happy, then you could probably set up a Lulu account and do it yourself.  But if you just go ahead and do it without permission, then I guarantee Eris will notice you, and want to help.

tjg92

What if I put it on Lulu, ordered a copy for myself, and took it down before anyone noticed?  :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tjg92 on February 20, 2013, 10:35:25 PM
What if I put it on Lulu, ordered a copy for myself, and took it down before anyone noticed?  :)

Or you could, you know, just ask.  :|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.