News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

80,000+ people try to play Pokemon simultaneously

Started by tjg92, February 18, 2014, 04:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjg92

So this is ridiculous:
http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

They've been in the same area for 36 hours now, by my count. It was working just by first type first serve but they just added this anarchy/democracy thing which is interesting but I don't know how it works. I guess it was in desperation to try to get these fucks out of the basement and stop them from releasing their best pokemon again, lol. I also notice that start spam has lessened.

Cain

Well, this explains why Twitch is going so fucking slow today.  I was gonna blame it on Sky tazing my internets.  Again.

Instead, it's another turbonerd convention.  Pokemon turbonerds, the worst kind.

Junkenstein

This could be quite amusing if it was applied to something skill based.

I assume this thing will probably run for a few weeks yet. And then scary people will try and 100% it as far as practically possibly.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

I think it is very interesting that 80k people typing commands into a game do better than a random number generator.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pæs

Quote from: tjg92 on February 18, 2014, 04:18:21 PM
So this is ridiculous:

They've been in the same area for 36 hours now, by my count. It was working just by first type first serve but they just added this anarchy/democracy thing which is interesting but I don't know how it works. I guess it was in desperation to try to get these fucks out of the basement and stop them from releasing their best pokemon again, lol. I also notice that start spam has lessened.
As best I can determine, users can input "anarchy" or "democracy" to move the slider towards one or the other. The normal state seems to be anarchy, presumably democracy requires consensus on input instead of doing what everyone wants at once.

This is beautiful.

The Johnny

Quote from: Pæs on February 19, 2014, 12:43:03 PM
Quote from: tjg92 on February 18, 2014, 04:18:21 PM
So this is ridiculous:

As best I can determine, users can input "anarchy" or "democracy" to move the slider towards one or the other. The normal state seems to be anarchy, presumably democracy requires consensus on input instead of doing what everyone wants at once.

This is beautiful.

75% of the votes needed to change orientation, and yeah, still stuck on anarchy  :lulz:

Bird Jesus saved the day a couple of times, but now theyve died and reset at same area for... well, 3 times as far as ive seen.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on February 18, 2014, 04:21:51 PM
Well, this explains why Twitch is going so fucking slow today.  I was gonna blame it on Sky tazing my internets.  Again.

Instead, it's another turbonerd convention.  Pokemon turbonerds, the worst kind.

I dunno about them being the worst.  As a gamer, I occasionally trip over Pokemon nerds.  They aren't so bad.  I think of them as stuck in 1996.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

1996 was terrible.

True though, they're not the worst gamers overall.  I mean, given the choice I'd prefer to be in a room full of pokemon players than, say, Call of Duty players (not least because there are more 12 year olds among the latter.  OH SNAP).  But still...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on February 20, 2014, 02:16:57 PM
1996 was terrible.

True though, they're not the worst gamers overall.  I mean, given the choice I'd prefer to be in a room full of pokemon players than, say, Call of Duty players (not least because there are more 12 year olds among the latter.  OH SNAP).  But still...

Lo5R players are the worst.  When they aren't taking up all the space in the gameshop endlessly sorting their cards, they're hanging out at the counter trying to look menacing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

We don't have them over here.  We probably expelled them, for being a net drag on the economy.

Which reminds me, there is a general gaming/Warhammer/computer repair shop in town now.  I should probably check it out at some point.

EK WAFFLR

We only get Magic: The Gathering nerds and/or emos in our game stores.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfather Waffles on February 20, 2014, 02:50:45 PM

Magic players are composed of people who wanted to be mathematicians but didn't want to do the work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2014, 03:11:35 PM

Magic players are composed of people who wanted to be mathematicians but didn't want to do the work.
:lol:

I'm afraid to ask: Chessplayers?
Or do they not count as gamers?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on February 25, 2014, 07:10:15 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2014, 03:11:35 PM

:lol:

I'm afraid to ask: Chessplayers?
Or do they not count as gamers?

Chess players are composed of people who wanted to be barristers and/or rabbis, but live in NYC.

Junkenstein

Chess would be much more interesting if it wasn't so reliant on memorisation of opening moves. With any luck it'll be solved within my lifetime so I'll know for sure that the solution for black is to play to force a draw unless/until white makes a critical fuckup.

Back to the OP, this thing is at 12 days. Significant progress has apparently been made. I bet someone has a tattoo related to this by the end of the month, if not already.

If anyone can code it and you can avoid getting sued, there's probably a sack of cash waiting for they guy who does Final Fantasy or another menu selection based RPG system. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.