News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I enjoyed the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy, but I can recall almost nothing about the second one, which I may have abandoned part way through.  It's probably very good as well, but I think I just got distracted by stuff.

I was actually recommended them by a Poli Sci professor who I converse with sometimes, though I cannot remember her reasoning why at the time.

Scribbly

Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2012, 11:00:49 AM
I enjoyed the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy, but I can recall almost nothing about the second one, which I may have abandoned part way through.  It's probably very good as well, but I think I just got distracted by stuff.

I was actually recommended them by a Poli Sci professor who I converse with sometimes, though I cannot remember her reasoning why at the time.

I mentioned it at work and my editor said the first one was very good, but the second two were disappointing in comparison (not bad, just, not as good).

There's a brutal cynicism which comes through really strongly.

There was one line describing the purpose: "Look at how we take your children, look at how you cannot stop us." Words to that effect. Sent chills down my spine.

I was surprised to note on Amazon that it is classified as 'Teenage Fiction'.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Yeah, its definitely at the higher end of teenage fiction, at the very least.

In fact, I'm not actually sure I know of any teenagers who have read it, it seems to be pretty much adults.

kingyak

I read the Hunger Games books last week, and my only complaint about the second and third were about the pacing, but I'm not sure I would have noticed if the first book weren't so well paced. The second one takes a while to get moving but moves along pretty quickly once it does. The third one drags in a few places.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

kingyak

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 21, 2012, 08:42:17 AM
On Writing by Stephen King.

I've read maybe 3 or 4 of King's novels and a handful of his short stories in my life, but find him really interesting when he just talks/writes about shit. I could have done with a little less autobiography, but really enjoyed the second half of this one.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: kingyak on February 21, 2012, 03:18:43 PM

I've read maybe 3 or 4 of King's novels and a handful of his short stories in my life, but find him really interesting when he just talks/writes about shit. I could have done with a little less autobiography, but really enjoyed the second half of this one.

I like the autobiography part of it.

I've never been a big Stephen Kingh fan, but this is good!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 21, 2012, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: kingyak on February 21, 2012, 03:18:43 PM

I like the autobiography part of it.

I've never been a big Stephen Kingh fan, but this is good!

It's by far his best book.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2012, 11:12:46 AM
Yeah, its definitely at the higher end of teenage fiction, at the very least.

In fact, I'm not actually sure I know of any teenagers who have read it, it seems to be pretty much adults.

I gave my 11-year-old nephew the trilogy; he was really excited to get it.  I thought it was a good idea to instill a bit of anti-authoritarianism to counteract the scientology training.

Scribbly

Finished the first one ten minutes ago.

It was pretty great, but I am now hungry (har har) for more. Really looking forward to seeing where it is taken from here, though if my instinct is right I can see how the next couple of books would be much harder to pace.

Placid Dingo

Just finished Agnes Gray. Pretty standard romance, but gains some extra brownie points for a handful of gloriously revolting children and teenagers popping in to make hell for the titular governess.

Moving onto Anna Kariena. Also starting Seneca's letters about Stoicism.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

Reading

Bruce Bueno de Mesquita - The Predictioneer's Handbook (how to use game theory to make political predictions)
David Graeber - Debt: the First 5000 Years
Edward Luttwak - The Art of Coup d'Etat

Scribbly

Just finished book two of the Hunger Games - Catching Fire. I didn't really intend to but again, once I started, I didn't want to put it down. Because I'm at home today, I didn't!

The first one was much better, and there are some elements which bugged me a little bit about where this story has gone. The villains are obviously fairly transparent, but their actions seem far more difficult to justify in the second story than the first.

Then again, it isn't meant to be utterly realistic, and it is still a pretty good thriller IMO.

Got a long train journey and a lot of sitting around for appointments this afternoon. Looking forward to book three!

LMNO

Let me know what you think of the ending to Book Three when you get there.

Scribbly

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 23, 2012, 02:16:28 PM
Let me know what you think of the ending to Book Three when you get there.

Just finished it.

It'll take a little while to formulate a response that isn't 'holy fuck' I think. There were a couple of points I was worried that it was going to veer suddenly in tone, but the ending was pretty much perfect. I saw some elements coming but overall I enjoyed it.

I think you were absolutely right to give the series to your nephew. This is the sort of fiction I'd have loved to have read as a teenager.

Eater of Clowns

I read the first book of Hunger Games and I"ll be getting around to the 2nd and 3rd eventually.  I just had a serious problem with the writing.  I thought it was pretty bad.  The storytelling is great, it's very compelling and I had fun reading it, but it's just not good writing.

I'd heard a lot of talk about the Kingkiller Chronicles as well, which so far is The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.  Again they're good stories that are, with some glaring exceptions, well told, but the writing just bothers me.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.