News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

tulpas :^)

Started by Meunster, December 12, 2014, 01:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meunster

You guys ever got into tulpas?

A tulpa is basically you put enough thought into a character you create in your mind, you repeat exposing yourself to  it enough, and you think hard enough, and it becomes real(in your own mind).

It's surprisingly popularish.

Poe's law ;)

hooplala

Its a Buddhist concept, if memory serves. John Keel thought it might be an explanation for a lot of the weird characters he was encountering in the late 1960s (allegedly)... Men in Black, etc.

It doesn't seem very likely to me, apart from psychosis, but then I've never really tried, so I can't say.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Tulpas are one of those things Lamas are supposed to be able to do after a lifetime of rigorous meditation.

So, naturally, American fucking new age freaks can do it the week they learn about it.  It's just our way of shitting all over what culture hasn't already been consumed and shat out as a McDonalds on every corner.

So of course it's popular.
Molon Lube

Cain

There are tulpas on tumblr, so I reckon those Buddhists are just bullshitting about how hard it is.  I mean if the average OCD-impaired American teenager can do it, anyone can.

LMNO

Cain, I'm worried about how much time you're spending on Tumblr.

Meunster

If the regular ocd mlp anime fan can turn their waifu real and fuck their reality. 

Like, it's just thinking. Why doesn't everyone do it? It'd be fun to have imaginary friends, with benefits.

Poe's law ;)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Meunster on December 12, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
If the regular ocd mlp anime fan can turn their waifu real and fuck their reality. 

Like, it's just thinking. Why doesn't everyone do it? It'd be fun to have imaginary friends, with benefits.

Imagine a poptart.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Like, it's just thinking. Why doesn't everyone do it?

Newsfeed.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2014, 01:29:10 PM
There are tulpas on tumblr, so I reckon those Buddhists are just bullshitting about how hard it is.  I mean if the average OCD-impaired American teenager can do it, anyone can.

From Tumblr:

QuoteYou know that saying, "if you talk to God long enough, he just might talk back?" It's like that, but with animated ponies.

:kingmeh:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Meunster

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 12, 2014, 01:44:20 PM

Imagine a poptart.

What is poptart?
Poe's law ;)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Meunster on December 12, 2014, 01:49:03 PM

Imagine a poptart.

What is poptart?

:sotw:
Molon Lube

Meunster

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 12, 2014, 01:49:32 PM

Imagine a poptart.

What is poptart?

Was it a person? or is it just a saying, people keep calling me it and It's starting to trigger me.
Poe's law ;)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Meunster on December 12, 2014, 01:52:19 PM

Imagine a poptart.

What is poptart?

Was it a person? or is it just a saying, people keep calling me it and It's starting to trigger me.

Ask me if I give a fuck.  Go ahead, just ask. 
Molon Lube

Meunster

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 12, 2014, 01:53:34 PM
Quote from: Meunster on December 12, 2014, 01:52:19 PM

Imagine a poptart.

What is poptart?

Ask me if I give a fuck.  Go ahead, just ask.

Do you give a fuck?
Poe's law ;)

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman