PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Prayers of the Faithful to The City

Started by Sister Fracture, May 14, 2011, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Me too.  I love it, and I hate it. 

Anna Mae Bollocks

On a certain level, Tuscon is like a small town. I remember a bunch of people carrying on about how Linda Ronstandt was from there.
Who gives a fuck? 
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the things few people know, even those poor infected souls who are trapped there, is that Tucson is actually a fungus. Not the buildings, of course, and not the people... well, not exactly. But the entity that is Tucson, that which gives the City its character, that which its denizens instinctively know can hear their prayers, can feel their breath and their fear late at night when the city grows chilly with the clear snap of the desert... that entity is wound in tender filaments, invisible to the naked eye, through the soil below the City, and over time, every structure, every machine, and every living thing is impregnated with the entity of Tucson. That's why you can't stay there too long.

It takes a few weeks to take hold, and if you get out of there in time the first creeping rhizomorphs, separated from the vastness of the mother, will die without the victim... or supplicant... noticing much more than a curious twitchy anxiety. Once they are established, though, the infected creature can't go too far from the mother without discomfort. The rhizomorphs inextricably entwined through their tissues start to protest and eventually, with enough time and distance, to die, and it creates a burning, jittery itch that most people mistake for madness. Those who try to leave either seek relief by returning to Tuscon, or become the walking weird... burned out, rambling husks of people, playing visions of horror only they can see behind their staring, dilated pupils. The tendrils that once were part of them are long gone, and can never be replaced.

Even a return to Eris' beloved Holy City can't restore them... they can be reinfected, but the damage caused by the death of the first spiderweb-fine network that inhabited them cannot be undone. Many do return, though, and you can see them shambling through the City, preaching their apocalyptic visions to anyone close enough to overhear their slurred, incoherent murmurs. They are trapped... but they are also virtually immortal, for when their human bodies die, if they are fortunate enough to be interred rather than cremated, they will be joined with the mother, for as long as She lives.

It's unsure how old Tucson is, but some legends claim that it was already present, though much smaller, when human beings first colonized the habitable areas fringing the Sonoran Desert over ten thousand years ago. When the Natives speak about the land having a spirit, they aren't fucking around.

Every twenty years or so, Tucson fruits, and releases her spores.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Luna

I'm trying to decide if that's horrifying, awesome, or both...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

The creepy part is that there actually seems to be something to it. 
People stay, or they go back. Even if they have it made someplace else, they'll come back to live in a camper shell or a trailer with no electricity in the fucking desert.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

I totally forgot the Tucson as a fungus myth was in a Fracture thread.  Glad you found it. :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Anna Mae Bollocks

Sister Fracture

"Oh my god.

Oh my god, will you just SHUT     THE HELL       UP.

I can't fucking take this shit, not today.  SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

I JUST

FUCKING HELL SHUT SHUUT SHUUUUUUUUT U UUUP!"

An informal prayer to The City's sirens.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube