News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a cold sore. It is probably the worst cold sore I have ever had.

I forgot how cold sores kind of make me an emotional catastrophe. Wherever the virus resides in my spinal column, it seems to stimulate all kinds of unpleasant emotions and bad body feelings on its way out, convincing my brain that IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, MOTHERFUCKER.

And then I drank three beers last night. Real Portland beers in pint glasses, not the light refreshing stuff in cans. I am clearly going to die. My body hates me. Fuuuuuuck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Fuck that virus. Someday we're gonna get a vaccine for that shit and I will be so happy for my grandkids.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 18, 2015, 05:01:01 PM
Fuck that virus. Someday we're gonna get a vaccine for that shit and I will be so happy for my grandkids.

I take some small comfort in the fact that it apparently slightly reduces the likelihood of getting the other kind of herpes.

But, still. A VACCINE WOULD BE MUCH BETTER. Why the hell isn't there a vaccine for this shit yet?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 18, 2015, 05:13:19 PM

I take some small comfort in the fact that it apparently slightly reduces the likelihood of getting the other kind of herpes.

But, still. A VACCINE WOULD BE MUCH BETTER. Why the hell isn't there a vaccine for this shit yet?

Same reason it took forever to get a HPV one and you still have to market it as a cancer vaccine instead of an STD vaccine?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 18, 2015, 05:16:12 PM

Same reason it took forever to get a HPV one and you still have to market it as a cancer vaccine instead of an STD vaccine?

And the only reason the bible-bangers shut up about THAT is they found out HPV can cause cancers in men.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 18, 2015, 05:16:12 PM

It is a cancer vaccine; it is effective against almost none of the strains of HPV which cause external genital warts, but is rather targeted to the strains which cause cancer.

I don't think the STD angle is something that sufficiently explains the lack of a vaccine, because researchers aren't particularly susceptible to that kind of thinking. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the latency phase of the virus, and how difficult it can be to stimulate a T-cell response to something that hides in the spinal cord. While trying to answer my question, I found this: http://contemporaryobgyn.modernmedicine.com/contemporary-obgyn/news/genital-herpes-vaccine-still-far?page=full as well as a number of other articles on potential vaccines, none of which (thus far) have had satisfactory secondary testing results.

Meunster

Quote from: Meunster on September 17, 2015, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 17, 2015, 07:06:21 PM
Quote from: Meunster on September 17, 2015, 06:58:09 PM
The campus slut has fallen in love with me.
I'm asexual.  This will be interesting.

You're a fucking asshole.  Seriously.  Die.  Or shut up.  Something.

Fine, I'll go kill myself tomorrow,  jeez, some people.

Sorry to disappoint. I gave it my best shot though. Now I just have a killer headache.

Next time I drink half a bottle and jump off a bridge I'll make sure it's bigger then 10 feet.

I was already drunk by the time I was going for suicide, but I didn't want to drink and drive to a taller bridge.

Hey, anyone know how to get mud out of the inside of your ear? I'm afraid I'll push it in farther.
Poe's law ;)

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 18, 2015, 04:48:17 PM

I forgot how cold sores kind of make me an emotional catastrophe. Wherever the virus resides in my spinal column, it seems to stimulate all kinds of unpleasant emotions and bad body feelings on its way out, convincing my brain that IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, MOTHERFUCKER.

And then I drank three beers last night. Real Portland beers in pint glasses, not the light refreshing stuff in cans. I am clearly going to die. My body hates me. Fuuuuuuck.

Do your cold sores throb? Mine throb.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Meunster

Whoa, when did 3d printers skyrocket in price?
Last year they had some cheap ones for like 150, now those are around 300.
Fucking how am I supposed to print my waifu now?
Poe's law ;)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on September 18, 2015, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 18, 2015, 04:48:17 PM

Do your cold sores throb? Mine throb.

Yes. And itch. And make me feel so unpretty.

I think there is some irony in the fact that I just pitched this huge fit over my doctor's office mistakenly putting "genital herpes" in my chart a few months ago. I was all "NO MOTHERFUCKERS, IT'S GODDAMN FACE HERPES".

It is not helping emotional matters that I am kissing someone new that I want to kiss real real bad and now I can't because my lower lip is a monstrosity of contagious viral replication eruptions.

On the other hand, I often get calamitously sick after the end of a term, and this time despite homesickness, a poor diet, air travel, and massive sleep deprivation all I really got was some blisters on my lip, so that's not so bad.

The Wizard Joseph

So I've decided that I'm staying at my current position at least through the new year. Grocery chain turned out to be dildos, no I WON'T cut my hair and shave my beard, nor will I help "instill the corporate culture" in the youngsters that work for you, not for THAT wage anyway. That's not the ultimate reason I declined, but it's not stuff in their favor.

Going to both milk my current job for as many spare shekels as I reasonably and ethically can without burning out and ALSO focus on reading and writing MUCH more. Also need to get a VERY thorough check up done and then follow through with all scientific recommendations as needed. Been about a decade since my last one, and if I'm to go into debt for something this next year it's going to be my health. Without that further schooling would be of somewhat limited value and all the more difficult to acquire in the future.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

East Coast Hustle

Wow. What the fuck happened?

How long was I out for?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 20, 2015, 06:14:14 AM
Wow. What the fuck happened?

How long was I out for?

Trump is president, and most of PD.com got new careers as Chemtrail Technicians. It's been a minute.

Chelagoras The Boulder

'Cept for me, i got a cushy job at Tumblr as lead Outrage Generator. All i do is sit in a chair, type LITERALLY anything, and watch the clicks roll in.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Faust

First time I've been addicted to a computer game in years, I cant fucking stop playing metal gear.
Sleepless nights at the chateau