News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Fall of English La

Started by hirley0, May 17, 2012, 03:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on May 17, 2012, 11:29:55 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 17, 2012, 05:30:05 PM
But I am guessing they're not planning on sending these kids on to college. There are warehouse picking jobs waiting for them.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/154344/what_happened_when_i_got_a_job_at_a_soul-crushing,_abusive_warehouse/?page=1

That was very informative, makes sense on how or why shipping prices can be so cheap.

The awful part is that this is not just a certain fringe industry, the temp job scheme happens all over the place, i even know of some college level people that work permanent temp jobs, or one year may-be renewable contract... sure, they are not as brutal as this, for it involves a sort of specialized human resources thing, but the unpaid extra hours, and 10 hour workday are still there.

The shipping prices could be that cheap AND the workers could get paid and treated decently, if profits weren't the sole highest motivator for these companies. They could still make money hand over fist, but it would be slightly less money.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 17, 2012, 11:47:59 PM
But I am guessing they're not planning on sending these kids on to college. There are warehouse picking jobs waiting for them.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/154344/what_happened_when_i_got_a_job_at_a_soul-crushing,_abusive_warehouse/?page=1

That was very informative, makes sense on how or why shipping prices can be so cheap.

The awful part is that this is not just a certain fringe industry, the temp job scheme happens all over the place, i even know of some college level people that work permanent temp jobs, or one year may-be renewable contract... sure, they are not as brutal as this, for it involves a sort of specialized human resources thing, but the unpaid extra hours, and 10 hour workday are still there.

The shipping prices could be that cheap AND the workers could get paid and treated decently, if profits weren't the sole highest motivator for these companies. They could still make money hand over fist, but it would be slightly less money.

But NIGEL those noble job-creators DESERVE their high pay. 

It is official though, that is WORSE than the Army.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The 3 wolf moon is a harsh SHUTUP on May 17, 2012, 11:55:56 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 17, 2012, 11:47:59 PM

But NIGEL those noble job-creators DESERVE their high pay. 

It is official though, that is WORSE than the Army.

That's saying something. I also had a seriously heretical thought... wondering how many people die or are seriously injured in jobs like this each year, say an average of over 20 years, vs. how many service members die or are seriously injured in the Army.

OK, the number of Americans who die on the job annually was easy to look up; about 5110 per year. I don't have time right now but I'd be really interested in researching and pulling out the average per-capita risk for the last 20 years for workers age 18-64 vs. service members age 18-64.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

hell, you mean combat related deaths only, non-combat but still service related deaths only, or a combination of the two, with or without accidental or suicides?
Unless someone beats me to the punch I am fairly certain I can pull up a bunch of Army related death stats.
HOWEVER, there is a big difference of quality of life, at least from what that article tells.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The last shitty job I had (supermarket) five guys quit to join the service, knowing they'd get shipped to Iraq. (They lied to the sixth one and told him if he joined the Air Force everything would be real easy and he wouldn't have to go. I think he ended up in Fallujah).

That tells you a lot right there.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Chairman Risus

I still think cursive is useless.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chairman Risus on May 18, 2012, 04:35:02 AM
I still think cursive is useless.

Everything depends on context. If taking extensive notes by hand, cursive significantly reduces hand fatigue.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The 3 wolf moon is a harsh SHUTUP on May 18, 2012, 02:21:41 AM
hell, you mean combat related deaths only, non-combat but still service related deaths only, or a combination of the two, with or without accidental or suicides?
Unless someone beats me to the punch I am fairly certain I can pull up a bunch of Army related death stats.
HOWEVER, there is a big difference of quality of life, at least from what that article tells.

With accidental, without suicides. And yeah, quality of life is a whole other issue.

Don Coyote

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 18, 2012, 08:24:56 AM

With accidental, without suicides. And yeah, quality of life is a whole other issue.

Like auto accidents or training accidents?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The 3 wolf moon is a harsh SHUTUP on May 18, 2012, 11:26:41 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 18, 2012, 08:24:56 AM

Like auto accidents or training accidents?

Any accidents that take place while they are on-duty, so that it is comparable to civilian deaths on the job.

Freeky

That's possibly one of the more disturbing things I've read recently.  I'm glad I know about it now, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Don Coyote

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, that is working! Sweet. Holy shit. I think this might be the beginning of data collection because there are quite a few things to compare and I am not sure where to get all the data, but I think it will be a very interesting comparison.