News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Tis an ill wind that blows no jobs....

Started by Prickly, July 19, 2004, 10:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert Giles

Quote from: fluffy
Quote from: Grand Imam Horabvote fascist psychonetic super computer for supreme dictator fo the earth this nov. 4th!

traitor! you will fry in hell for this!

vote for Bella or your gonads will attack your leg!

Citizen, only Dirty Commie Mutants would vote against the Computer in the upcoming election.

The Computer is your friend, Citizen.

You love the Computer, don't you, Citizen.

Aren't you happy with the Computer?

Failure to be happy is Treason.

Prickly

Quote from: Grand Imam Horaba freer economy doesn't necessarily mean that, as coporations often try to manipulate th emarket in order to create more profitable and controllable environment in which to uh profit from...

monetary excessive profit driven economy is in the shitter, unfortunately there's no better(workable) solution available atm.

vote fascist psychonetic super computer for supreme dictator fo the earth this nov. 4th!

Actually, the main way that businesses get away with that type of abuse is when government is actively supporting it. For example, when AT&T had a monopoly on phone service, their monopoly was upheld partly by laws that severely restricted local competition, partly by FCC regulations that restricted any kind of competition, and partly by FCC regulations that prevented new technology from entering the market (for example, did you know cell phone technology was first invented in the 1940s? The FCC wouldn't let anyone use it until the early 80s, so for about 40 years technology that could have made AT&T's control of hard phone lines obsolete and undone their monopoly was stuck on a shelf and never used).

But, yeah, if you're gonna vote for any kind of fascist government, do it on the 4th.

Quote from: fluffytraitor! you will fry in hell for this!

If Bella can get on the ballot here, she's got my vote. Otherwise, I'll just have to vote Libertarian....
Pope Prickly the Pielyamorous Porcupine of the Bent Quarter Cabal and, more recently, the Sunrise If You Dare Cabal

Before the beginning, there was a 50/50 chance of either something or nothing existing. So, something and nothing decided to flip a coin to decide which of them would exist. However, in order for there to be a coin to flip, something had to have already won the toss. Therefore, you only exist because something is a cheating bastard.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Prickly
Quote from: Grand Imam Horaba freer economy doesn't necessarily mean that, as coporations often try to manipulate th emarket in order to create more profitable and controllable environment in which to uh profit from...

monetary excessive profit driven economy is in the shitter, unfortunately there's no better(workable) solution available atm.

vote fascist psychonetic super computer for supreme dictator fo the earth this nov. 4th!

Actually, the main way that businesses get away with that type of abuse is when government is actively supporting it. For example, when AT&T had a monopoly on phone service, their monopoly was upheld partly by laws that severely restricted local competition, partly by FCC regulations that restricted any kind of competition, and partly by FCC regulations that prevented new technology from entering the market (for example, did you know cell phone technology was first invented in the 1940s? The FCC wouldn't let anyone use it until the early 80s, so for about 40 years technology that could have made AT&T's control of hard phone lines obsolete and undone their monopoly was stuck on a shelf and never used).

But, yeah, if you're gonna vote for any kind of fascist government, do it on the 4th.

Quote from: fluffytraitor! you will fry in hell for this!

If Bella can get on the ballot here, she's got my vote. Otherwise, I'll just have to vote Libertarian....

competive open telecommunicatiosn market in the us in particualr is a joke.
Hell is other people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Compositus Confusio
Quote from: fluffy
Quote from: Grand Imam Horabvote fascist psychonetic super computer for supreme dictator fo the earth this nov. 4th!

traitor! you will fry in hell for this!

Citizen, only Dirty Commie Mutants would vote against the Computer in the upcoming election.

The Computer is your friend, Citizen.

You love the Computer, don't you, Citizen.

Aren't you happy with the Computer?

Failure to be happy is Treason.

If you aren't happy, you may be used as reactor shielding.

PERMISSION TO REPAIR FLYBOT DENIED.  PLEASE REPORT YOUR LOCATION UPON IMPACT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PricklyAs for regulations to repeal, where to begin....
Well, probably the first thing to start with is minimum wage laws, since they cause unemployment

Bosh.  We've had them for decades, and suddenly NOW they're a problem?

You been listening to Limbaugh?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Rupert Giles

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Well, probably the first thing to start with is minimum wage laws, since they cause unemployment

Only to program the legions of Killbots to follow the sound of his voice, sir.

Prickly

We've had laws against marijuana and sodomy for decades, too. Guess that's reason enough for them to stay.

And no, Limbaugh's a moron. Try some of Larry Elder's books (his radio show is okay too). Or, heck, any economics textbook.
Pope Prickly the Pielyamorous Porcupine of the Bent Quarter Cabal and, more recently, the Sunrise If You Dare Cabal

Before the beginning, there was a 50/50 chance of either something or nothing existing. So, something and nothing decided to flip a coin to decide which of them would exist. However, in order for there to be a coin to flip, something had to have already won the toss. Therefore, you only exist because something is a cheating bastard.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prickly

We've had laws against marijuana and sodomy for decades, too. Guess that's reason enough for them to stay.

And no, Limbaugh's a moron. Try some of Larry Elder's books (his radio show is okay too). Or, heck, any economics textbook.

Larry Elder? :lol:

Please.  

Now, you are comparing the minimum wage to sodomy.  Cute.  I suppose that health insurance benefits for employees are therefore equal to - what - high treason?

Besides, you didn't exactly answer the question, though (nice dodge, but no cigar)...why is it that we've had the minimum wage for the better part of a century, and they are only NOW becoming a problem?

Rupert Giles

Larry Elder? :lol:

Please.  

Now, you are comparing the minimum wage to sodomy.  Cute.  I suppose that health insurance benefits for employees are therefore equal to - what - high treason?

Besides, you didn't exactly answer the question, though (nice dodge, but no cigar)...why is it that we've had the minimum wage for the better part of a century, and they are only NOW becoming a problem?

Guess who is employed as a Pizza Boy?

I work hard for those NON-EXISTANT benefits.

The Good Reverend Roger

According to Prickley and SC, you STILL get paid too much.

Rupert Giles

Let me tell you exactly how 'much' I get paid.

I get 5.50 an hour.

Except when I'm out deliver.  I'm off the clock, and get 75 cents every time I clock out to deliver.

Each delivery, at least, takes 10 minutes.

So I'm missing out of .91 cents, approx, of my time.  Unless I take more than one item, and then it can take upwards of 30 to 40 minutes to hit every place.

Tonight, I made about 21 dollars working seven hours.  That's on my paycheck.

Now, I get tips.  I delivered 9 times.  Five times I got nothing.

Three times, I got between nothing and about 2 bucks.

Three more times, I got between 2 bucks and 5 bucks.

(Remember, I don't make one trip per clock out. )

So I came home tonight with exactly 20 dollars in tips, plus the aprox 21 I get from hourly.

41 dollars in seven hours of work.  About 5.85 an hour.

Now factor in that I went through about 4 gallons of gas, when gas is 1.98 here in Gainesville.

Factor in the wear and tear on a 11 year old Jeep.

I'm not making that much.  I have to get my oil changed every month.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Compositus ConfusioLet me tell you exactly how 'much' I get paid.

I get 5.50 an hour.

According to Prickley &SC, that's too much.  Their idea is that your employer should pay you whatever HE feels you should get.  If you don't LIKE getting $0.25/hr, you can just quit, and get another job (for $0.25/hr).

Of coure, the little neocons will then tell you that you should "develop skills for a higher paying job"...neglecting, of course, to tell you how to afford (and survive while) developing those skills.

Not to mention that, under their model, the ONLY people making any coin are the owners.

So, they'll probably tell you to start your own business...neglecting, of course, little details like start up capital, etc.

Neocons are as bad as communists, when it comes to ivory tower theorizing.

Rupert Giles

Do you mean communists, or dictators disguising their system as communism?

The Good Reverend Roger

I get 5.50 an hour.

According to Prickley &SC, that's too much.  Their idea is that your employer should pay you whatever HE feels you should get.  If you don't LIKE getting $0.25/hr, you can just quit, and get another job (for $0.25/hr).

Of coure, the little neocons will then tell you that you should "develop skills for a higher paying job"...neglecting, of course, to tell you how to afford (and survive while) developing those skills.

Not to mention that, under their model, the ONLY people making any coin are the owners.

So, they'll probably tell you to start your own business...neglecting, of course, little details like start up capital, etc.

I mean communists.  Neat on paper, utterly unworkable (why do you think EVERY "communist" nation IMMEDIATELY goes into Stalinism, etc?).

Rupert Giles

I get 5.50 an hour.

I mean communists.  Neat on paper, utterly unworkable (why do you think EVERY "communist" nation IMMEDIATELY goes into Stalinism, etc?).

Because a 'True' Communism is only applicable to social insects and robots.