News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Oh for feck's sake, Ireland!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, November 15, 2012, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/14/savita-halappanavar-medically-unnecessary-death?intcmp=239

Irish pro-choice activists are fucking fuming at the moment. I hope they get a change in the law, but in this case I would say that it has come too late. 

I have decided not to visit Ireland until there is a change in the law to the equivalent of UK law or better.

:sad:

Nephew Twiddleton

I'll be hand delivering a letter to the Consulate. I read elsewhere that there was a call to protest at Irish embassies, but the public area of the Consulate in Boston is a room that can fit about 10 people and a counter. I could sit in the chairs all Saturday and hold up a sign, but I doubt it would have that much impact.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Thoughts/suggestions?

15 November 2012

Mr. Michael Lonergan
Consulate General of Ireland
535 Boylston Street
Boston
Massachusetts 02116

Dear Mr. Lonergan,

I am writing to you to voice my concerns with Ireland's policy towards abortion. As I am sure you are aware, Ireland's policy towards abortion has become an international news item in the wake of Savita Halappanavar's death in Galway.

This unfortunate turn of events obviously could have been easily avoided, if not for the preferential treatment the Republic shows towards Roman Catholic dogma and morality. As an Irishman, I understand Ireland's ties, both cultural and historical, to Catholicism. However, I do not understand Catholicism's role in informing the laws of what is nominally a secular republic, especially where said laws result in the unnecessary and premature death of a person.

Whether or not Ireland will continue to restrict abortion, it is clear that the policy needs to be revised. If abortion is allowed under the law to preserve the life of the mother, as the law currently allows, then this should not have happened. The law needs to change to allow medical staff to make the appropriate call in a timely manner, and quite frankly I find it troubling anytime a member nation of the European Union is less progressive than even the United States, where religion routinely intrudes on political discourse.

While I am a citizen of Ireland, I was born and raised here in Boston, and never spent enough time in Ireland to legally register to vote, pay taxes, or seek employment. If I had, you could be sure I would also be pursuing those avenues, but as it stands, I am unable to voice my displeasure through voting or contacting specific TDs.

I am sure that you are also aware that there are protests scheduled in Dublin this Saturday. Obviously, it is unlikely that I will be in Dublin to join them. There is also encouragement to protest at Irish embassies. I've been to the Consulate before- it would be rather comical, but fairly unproductive, for me to loiter in your office. I would probably have to leave for lunch at some point as well. So, I am left with hand delivering this letter to the Consulate. I hope that you will express my concerns to our government, and I hope that other Irish citizens living in New England will have contacted you on this matter.

Otherwise warm regards,

[Twid's name and address redacted]

Pope Pixie Pickle

I like it, if it were my letter I'd totally add that it should ultimately be a matter of personal conscience and not one dictated by the church as an article of law.

also research stats of Irish women just going to the UK mainland for terminations anyway (I think it's 12 a day) , and that being able to get decent treatment and aftercare in Ireland would safeguard the lives and health of women who will terminate their pregnancies in the UK anyway. Obviously this was not an option for the gravely ill Savita.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pixie on November 15, 2012, 12:20:42 PM
I like it, if it were my letter I'd totally add that it should ultimately be a matter of personal conscience and not one dictated by the church as an article of law.

also research stats of Irish women just going to the UK mainland for terminations anyway (I think it's 12 a day) , and that being able to get decent treatment and aftercare in Ireland would safeguard the lives and health of women who will terminate their pregnancies in the UK anyway. Obviously this was not an option for the gravely ill Savita.

Will revise to add those points.

Faust

Quote from: Pixie on November 15, 2012, 10:57:34 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/14/savita-halappanavar-medically-unnecessary-death?intcmp=239

Irish pro-choice activists are fucking fuming at the moment. I hope they get a change in the law, but in this case I would say that it has come too late. 

I have decided not to visit Ireland until there is a change in the law to the equivalent of UK law or better.

Here's the worst part: The law for cases where a womans life is in danger are vague but do allow for the abortion. So if the doctors who refused to do it did in fact say "This is a catholic country" they can be prosecuted for a minimum of medical malpractice, or a max of murder.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

Further- she was going to miscarry either way. Even if her life wasnt at risk they should hve terminated the pregnancy on those grounds alone.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2012, 02:25:53 PM

Here's the worst part: The law for cases where a womans life is in danger are vague but do allow for the abortion. So if the doctors who refused to do it did in fact say "This is a catholic country" they can be prosecuted for a minimum of medical malpractice, or a max of murder.

As I understand it, the opposite is also true.  If the doctors had gone ahead with an abortion, they still could have been prosecuted.  From what I've read, it's not actually in law that an abortion can be done if the life of the mother is at risk, but it is rather a ruling from your equivalent of the Home Office, which has not been especially well-tested in court.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 03:31:16 PM
Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2012, 02:25:53 PM

As I understand it, the opposite is also true.  If the doctors had gone ahead with an abortion, they still could have been prosecuted.  From what I've read, it's not actually in law that an abortion can be done if the life of the mother is at risk, but it is rather a ruling from your equivalent of the Home Office, which has not been especially well-tested in court.
There was a bill passed but it doesn't specify any kind of grounds for when the womans life is in danger so for the time being doctors have had to take it to mean risk of imminent death as opposed to what it was in this case, carrying an unviable fetus that could kill her down the line.
It's an area the legislators in the oireachtas have just been too cowardly to discuss.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

Rte website reporting that an india times headline reads "ireland murders pregnant indian dentist." Thats one hell of a headline...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 15, 2012, 06:42:48 PM
Rte website reporting that an india times headline reads "ireland murders pregnant indian dentist." Thats one hell of a headline...
wow

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah i guess we know where they stand on the whole thing. Personally i would have gone with irish legislative ineptitude results in untimely death but thats probably not as good for paper sales

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 15, 2012, 06:42:48 PM

It's a tad hyperbolic, but not entirely uncalled for.

Nephew Twiddleton

So if any of you who are friends with me on fb and want to derive some lulz with this i got a "proabortion" guy commenting on my link re: this. He hasnt responded to my post about irelands carbon emissions stats yet but he may and im going to be heading to my gig soon.