News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

CATCH 22

Started by Slarti, May 10, 2004, 09:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

i'm about halfway through, and it's so cool that i want to throw up.

gnimbley

Quote from: Slartibartfasti'm about halfway through, and it's so cool that i want to throw up.

I started that book four times. The first three times I put it down and (months later) when I picked it back up I couldn't remember what was going on so I started over. The fourth time I finally got it. And it is one of the coolest books ever written.

Huh? Did somebody say something?

Must have been the breeze.

illusion

This is by far one of the best books in the entire world.
Absolutely brilliant and cynical.

Slarti

i loved the lack of plot. it reminded me of RAW. (btw, i finally got Illuminatus! and am going to start reading it soon).

Den Sorte Dragen

I only saw a part of the movie once.......buffalo soldiers reminded me very much of it
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

gnimbley

Quote from: Slartibartfasti loved the lack of plot. it reminded me of RAW. (btw, i finally got Illuminatus! and am going to start reading it soon).

Actually, it has a tremendous amount of plot. It is just in an absurd format. Every scene for the first two thirds of the book is told at least three different times, and from different perspectives. They are just not in a linear order. Even the pieces of the scenes are not in linear order. A bit of this scene merges into that, interrupted by this one over there, crashed into (literally) by another.

The last third of the book is linear - a normal novelistic timeline - but by then your mind is no longer thinking linearly and you don't notice for a long time.

The novel breaks all the rules, is brilliantly sarcastic, has probably influenced more writers than any other 20th century novel, and is one of the most difficult things to read in English literature. I loved it once I caught on. Very chaotic. You all will love it.

My favorite book of all time.

Slarti

that's true. i just reallized that. the way the timeline is fucked up is awesome.

i reallllly love disrupting class in school by standing up randomly and screaming " I SEE EVERYTHING TWICE!!!!"

Slarti

YOSSARIAN LIVES!

MedeoPlusPlus

Quote from: Slartibartfasti loved the lack of plot. it reminded me of RAW. (btw, i finally got Illuminatus! and am going to start reading it soon).

I just started rereading Illuminatus. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't make more sense the second time- it really does.
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: Slartibartfastthat's true. i just reallized that. the way the timeline is fucked up is awesome.

i reallllly love disrupting class in school by standing up randomly and screaming " I SEE EVERYTHING TWICE!!!!"
Quote from: Slartibartfastthat's true. i just reallized that. the way the timeline is fucked up is awesome.

sorry... I needed to do that
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Bella

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis

Why?
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Bella

Why?
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom

Why?
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom

Why?
because