News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Burns on December 11, 2010, 06:16:12 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 11, 2010, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: Burns on December 11, 2010, 04:43:39 AM
:lulz:

I believe in it all.  I'll take it all in these days.  The way I see it, not true? -- not my problem.

Without digressing into stupidity on my part, I actually think this is a pretty good route. One of the things about Chaos Magic (and no, lets not make this about Chaos Magic) is that it calls for switching your belief system from time to time. I think that's a pretty good idea, for different reasons. It helps you see things from a different perspective if you really put yourself into the mindset. You know, if you can pull it off.

Blight,
-not going to follow certain rules from certain religions as a rule. And certainly can't guarantee that he won't fart while bowing to Mecca.

I think (or at least have convinced myself) that it brings me more spontaneity.  More spontaneity, less worries. Plus it allows me a place to appreciate other models in general.  I've gotten to a point that I'm really just tired of pushing belief against belief.  And it emphasizes the relativity of most situations.

It also allows me to meet certain fundamentalist family members on a level that, if we were BOTH stuck in our belief roles we'd never have the opportunity to meet as people.

Everybody has the answer and if they wanna have it, they can keep it.

I was raised Catholic. While I was young, I was convinced that I would always be Catholic (because it was the truth goddammit!). When I turned 16 I ditched that for Paganism, and THEN took my Confirmation, for the happiness of my family. When I'm 35 I may be an atheist (or maybe even a Satanist for teh lulz and teh nekkid lady altars and teh blasphemy [parts 2 and 3 are most appealing]). But, for now, I'm still a Pagan, since that's what I want to be. And so what? Doesn't matter what I end up believing, my journey taught me that some things are not so wrong.
Maybe I won't be Discordian either. But that won't matter even, as long as I keep my wits about me, along with my sense of humor and my righteous horrormirth.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 11, 2010, 06:26:16 AM
Quote from: Burns on December 11, 2010, 06:16:12 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 11, 2010, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: Burns on December 11, 2010, 04:43:39 AM
:lulz:

I believe in it all.  I'll take it all in these days.  The way I see it, not true? -- not my problem.

Without digressing into stupidity on my part, I actually think this is a pretty good route. One of the things about Chaos Magic (and no, lets not make this about Chaos Magic) is that it calls for switching your belief system from time to time. I think that's a pretty good idea, for different reasons. It helps you see things from a different perspective if you really put yourself into the mindset. You know, if you can pull it off.

Blight,
-not going to follow certain rules from certain religions as a rule. And certainly can't guarantee that he won't fart while bowing to Mecca.

I think (or at least have convinced myself) that it brings me more spontaneity.  More spontaneity, less worries. Plus it allows me a place to appreciate other models in general.  I've gotten to a point that I'm really just tired of pushing belief against belief.  And it emphasizes the relativity of most situations.

It also allows me to meet certain fundamentalist family members on a level that, if we were BOTH stuck in our belief roles we'd never have the opportunity to meet as people.

Everybody has the answer and if they wanna have it, they can keep it.

I was raised Catholic. While I was young, I was convinced that I would always be Catholic (because it was the truth goddammit!). When I turned 16 I ditched that for Paganism, and THEN took my Confirmation, for the happiness of my family. When I'm 35 I may be an atheist (or maybe even a Satanist for teh lulz and teh nekkid lady altars and teh blasphemy [parts 2 and 3 are most appealing]). But, for now, I'm still a Pagan, since that's what I want to be. And so what? Doesn't matter what I end up believing, my journey taught me that some things are not so wrong.
Maybe I won't be Discordian either. But that won't matter even, as long as I keep my wits about me, along with my sense of humor and my righteous horrormirth.

I think it's about finding wherever there happens to be a comfortable place.  Maybe stir it all up a bit, maybe not.  It's MY trip. It's your trip.  And here we are.  That's all there is to it, really. Otherwise things get too complicated and I just get too caught in trying to reinforce the environment to fit my standards. 

Too much work.

I've 'tried on' belief systems before (through various methods) but I found the best way is to just ride through what makes the most sense--and if it begins to wear thin, just listen inside for the next step.

Nephew Twiddleton

Nothing to add, nothing to detract. Not leaving you hanging either.

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 11, 2010, 06:56:29 AM

Where the bullshit ends and non-bullshit begins, that is what I REALLY believe matters :winner:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on December 11, 2010, 09:24:16 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 11, 2010, 06:56:29 AM

Where the bullshit ends and non-bullshit begins, that is what I REALLY believe matters :winner:

We already have enough people here that don't make sense. Either start making coherent statements or stick with lurking.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Nephew Twiddleton

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sticker_Ninja on December 11, 2010, 05:24:58 AM
believe? don't make me laugh. take your believe and shove it up your fnord. choose your fundamentals for your character then up to them. nothing is true. everything is permitted. seek or wander, the choice is yours.

Okay.

Who turned on the Crazy Retard Magnet?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 13, 2010, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: Sticker_Ninja on December 11, 2010, 05:24:58 AM
believe? don't make me laugh. take your believe and shove it up your fnord. choose your fundamentals for your character then up to them. nothing is true. everything is permitted. seek or wander, the choice is yours.

Okay.

Who turned on the Crazy Retard Magnet?

:oops:

I thought it was the thermostat.  It's freezing in here.

Bu🤠ns

Lord Bandog Ablegate the Wiser

All gods are made up. However, just because something is made up doesn't mean it's not real. I have a whole pantheon of gods I made up myself, and they're a hell of a lot better at answering prayers than YHVH ever was, back in my fuddleheaded Christian days.

Cramulus

hell yeah dude! I'm definitely on that page too. Do Christians get their prayers answered? I do. I never have any uncertainty about my God's will. I just ask him. He lives upstairs from me.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49858017/The-Prophets-of-the-Main-Way

Lord Bandog Ablegate the Wiser

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a proper read sometime when I'm not half asleep.

Yes, in fact Christian prayers are often answered. I've seen too much to doubt that their god is real, however I've also found that he's actually a bit of a douche, so we're not on speaking terms any more. Eris is a lot more my style, but I never pray to her either. Only an fool would go and ask a trickster goddess for anything.

DiscordianKitty

I believe in everything and/or nothing, depending on my mood/who i'm talking to/what's going on.

Reality is like the internet. You get a multiple choice option when it comes to 'truth'.

Lately i've realized I'm probably vaguely atheist in a very not atheist way. I may assume all the gods exist, but i certainly don't believe their existence makes them worthy of worship.
"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Twitter - @DiscordianKitty