News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Oh crap; Cainad wants to edit another Intermittens issue

Started by Cainad (dec.), May 05, 2009, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Yes that's right folks, I came up with a dumb idea for a theme, and I'm requesting your help in making yet another issue possible!

One of the issues that often comes up in this community is the difference between what I will call "cheerful" and "angry" Discordianism, for lack of better terms. The distinction between the Black Iron Prison and the Golden Sphere of Possibility is one facet of this: they address the same subject from different angles.

Basically, what I'm envisioning is an issue where we juxtapose angry, in-your-face Discordian rants and essays with silly, funny, and light-hearted pieces. This theme will be complemented by putting Darker And Edgier images on one page and lighter, brighter images on the next page (possibly mixing up the angry rants with the cheerful pictures and vice-versa on some pages).

To give some examples of what I mean:
Compare the piece on page 7 of the BIP (http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/7.php) with the one on page 25 (http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/25.php). The first one isn't necessarily "angry," but it is much more SRS BIZNIS than an interview with a computer program that is apparently the true Queen of England, running on a Commodore 64.

Bitter cynicism and Glorious Hate contrasted with playfulness and/or optimism. That sort of thing.

I will commence digging for essays. If you have written or can recall any essays that had either a distinctly angry or bitter tone or a distinctly cheerful or positive tone, post them here.

ALSO, ATTN OTHER INTERMITTENS EDITORS: Please check this thread from time to time to make sure I'm not stepping on your toes. I will be posting lists of what works I plan to include, and I'll do my best to make sure I don't use anything already reserved for another issue (which I've already done once :oops:), but ONLY YUO can prevent my dumb mistakes.

Cainad (dec.)

My policy on distribution and filthy lucre is the same as I stated for issue #5:

As with all issues of Intermittens, this issue is to be freely distributed as an online PDF. Anyone can host it and post links as long as editorship and authorship is properly credited (i.e. don't edit the PDF to remove or change names).

Under no circumstances will I sell this issue for any price, either as a print copy or on a CD or some other digital medium. If I distribute this issue in real life it will be entirely at my own expense. If someone wants to sell a print copy of this issue for any price whatsoever, speak with myself and the authors first to discuss terms. I personally will accept selling this issue for a price equal to or less than the cost of printing, but if any of the contributors object then the person looking to sell will have to negotiate with said contributors.

The rules ECH posted in this thread still apply, obviously: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20638.0

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cainad on May 05, 2009, 08:18:31 PM
ALSO, ATTN OTHER INTERMITTENS EDITORS: Please check this thread from time to time to make sure I'm not stepping on your toes. I will be posting lists of what works I plan to include, and I'll do my best to make sure I don't use anything already reserved for another issue (which I've already done once :oops:), but ONLY YUO can prevent my dumb mistakes.

Also remember if the Authors submit the articles at intermittens.org there is a much lower risk of toe-stepping, since the author can submit directly to the Issue in Development.

Also, a WIN of an idea Cainad.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on May 05, 2009, 08:24:28 PM
My policy on distribution and filthy lucre is the same as I stated for issue #5:

As with all issues of Intermittens, this issue is to be freely distributed as an online PDF. Anyone can host it and post links as long as editorship and authorship is properly credited (i.e. don't edit the PDF to remove or change names).

Under no circumstances will I sell this issue for any price, either as a print copy or on a CD or some other digital medium. If I distribute this issue in real life it will be entirely at my own expense. If someone wants to sell a print copy of this issue for any price whatsoever, speak with myself and the authors first to discuss terms. I personally will accept selling this issue for a price equal to or less than the cost of printing, but if any of the contributors object then the person looking to sell will have to negotiate with said contributors.

The rules ECH posted in this thread still apply, obviously: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20638.0

You can use my stuff, given the above, if you want to.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roaring Biscuit!

i have some arts and stuff you might want to use, ill scan and upload them laters

x

the last yatto

think this fits the theme
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 21, 2008, 04:47:35 PM
1 Little Children of Chaos have you read the Principia Discordia and "Illuminatus!"? Have you read Zen Without Zen Masters, the Apocrypha Discordia, and every other Erisian work you could find?
2 Do you think that makes you Discordian? That you carry a Pope card, maybe a TSAR card, that you Turkey Curse your Boss and you know 230 ways to get to the number 5... do these things makes you Erisian?
3 Open all THREE Eyes and See, Goddessdamnit!
4 A thousand Fnords make not a single Discordian, 23's and 5's are not what turn cabbages into humans.
5 No catechism, no required meme to learn. No "right" of passage into some Initiatory Coven of Chaos.
6 Nay, my fellows, even that Great Goddess, Eris Kallisti Discordia herself, appears unnecessary for a Discordian.
7 I implore you, Seek not only the Chaos of the past, for while there may be LULZ, while there may exist Inspiration, while there may be tools aplenty, it is not there that Discordianism lies. 
8 I do not say this to discourage reuse... older memes have deep roots, and healthy growth and may be the hook which catches many minds in their initial first steps into the Void. And what is wrong with that, if it be the case? Nothing, I think.
9 However, Discordian 'enlightenment', for what its worth, won't be found in those memes. It won't be found in anything written by Robert Anton Wilson, it won't be found in the Principia Discordia. They don't contain Enlightenment. They contain hints and pointers, they contain tools which can help with the freeing of oneself. But, words cannot free you from the Curse of Greyface.
10 If you wish to be Free, then there is but one thing you can do;
11 DISCORDIAN, ENLIGHTEN THYSELF!
12 Another Discordian's enlightenment cannot bring the light to your eyes, nor will the ideas of another make you free.
13 So you read a rant? Go write a rant! So you found some memes? Go create some memes! Do not rely on the Enlightenment of others for your own damned Enlightenment.
14 In that direction lie all of the greyfaced, hunchbrained ideas of a Dogmatic and Drab Existence.
15 I see no flaw in embracing and enjoying the ideas of others, as long as they do not replace your ideas. There is no sin in delighting in the stories of past Discordians, as long as you have your own stories as well.
16 Even so, if you do naught but parrot the old memes, you are still Discordian in some sense. Though, perhaps not the sense you were hoping for.
17 A Discordian bears no responsibility to accept anyone else, not me, nor you, nor Bob.
18 They are only responsible to know themselves and accept that, or change it as they see fit.
19 And for you, it appears the same, for you have no responsibility to accept anyone else either. Including me and this rant.
20 Do As Thou Will, but be sure it is Thou who Wills it.
21 In the end, our freedom is a freedom of the mind and only the owner of that mind can free it.
22 We are the Slave and the Master. No one can free the Slave, except for the Master.

Ratatosk, Squirrel of Discord
Muncher of the ChaoAcorn
Chatterer of the Words of Eris
POEE of The Great Googlie Mooglie Cabal
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: yatto on May 08, 2009, 05:53:19 AM
think this fits the theme
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 21, 2008, 04:47:35 PM
1 Little Children of Chaos have you read the Principia Discordia and "Illuminatus!"? Have you read Zen Without Zen Masters, the Apocrypha Discordia, and every other Erisian work you could find?

That was used in Intermittens #1.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

QuoteCainad: Say, does anyone else get into those moods where they have tons of creative energy, but no clue what to put that energy into?
[11:26pm] Cainad: As opposed to the mood where you know what you want to do, but suffer from creative block?
[11:27pm] Cainad: I'm in one of those. I've been exposed to too many ideas in the past 48 hours.
[11:27pm] Eve: make a list
[11:27pm] Cainad: okay
[11:27pm] Richter: write out ideas, plans, frameworks of whatever
[11:29pm] Cainad: cool
[11:29pm] Cainad: so help me decide something:
[11:29pm] Cainad: I wanted to do another Intermittens issue, in which I juxtaposed "cheerful" with "angry" Discordianism
[11:30pm] Cainad: but just lately I wondered if maybe it would be funnier to pull together an Anti-Discordianism issue
[11:30pm] Richter: Do both : )
[11:30pm] Cainad: lol
[11:30pm] Richter: seriously
[11:30pm] Cainad: How the fuck did I not think of that?
[11:30pm] Richter: internmittens is a marathon, not a sprint to do everything good first
[11:31pm] Richter: address it all, keep ideas moving, fresh, and stockpiled
[11:31pm] Cainad: there's a handful of rants and stuff out there that warn the reader against Discordianism
[11:31pm] Cainad: and I wonder if we could get a submission from the Concordia Guy...
[11:31pm] nobody: you could interview darky
[11:33pm] Cainad: Holy shit Richter, I think this might work
[11:33pm] Richter: Cainad, I'd pitch in a rant against discordia
[11:33pm] Cainad: thanks  I have my "Get Out!" rant which I wanted to use
[11:34pm] Cainad: and for contrast, a few essays or things about how Discordianism, etc., can be good/useful
[11:34pm] Richter: : D
[11:34pm] Richter: For lulz, same authors do both
[11:34pm] Richter: hypocrisy in action

Thanks to Richter I now have a better idea of what I want to do with this.

I still like the idea of creating an issue that focuses on sharp contrast, but "cheerful" and "angry" seemed kinda vague, and an awful lot of Discordian writing seems to have twists that defy easy categorization. So, instead, I'd like to create an issue that seems at first to be an Anti-Discordianism issue, but which will include some works that describe it in a (mostly) positive light.

To illustrate both the opposing viewpoints and the gag of having the same authors do both kinds of pieces, I present some of my crap:
1) Get Out! http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20724.0
2) Cainad's Discordia (I think I'd change the title if I published it, though) http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18581.0

So, in this issue, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having two submissions. In fact, I encourage it if you've got (or can write) two pieces that express both viewpoints. For lulz, you might put your name on one submission but not the other, put it on both, or use different names.

Obviously, a lot of the anti-Discordian stuff is going to be tongue-in-cheek, but that's okay. Stuff like this: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/5.php is exactly what I'm looking for.

I wonder; do you guys think I could maybe get a submission from the Concordia Guy about how much Discordianism sucks and how dangerous it is? :wink:

Cramulus

query Vexati0n. I recall he wrote a ton of pieces which were like, "quit your shit and get real"

Cainad (dec.)

ALSO: cover image

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could draw or shoop up an image of a golden Kallisti apple or a Sacred Chao with a big red "No" symbol superimposed over it.

Obviously, it needs to be fairly large.

Cramulus

if you get desperate, there's a golden apple and sacred chao in the fnord font pack. And you can scale those characters to any size without losing quality. Lots of 'em in the Lesser Poop

Richter

Throwing up a pro / con set of articles for review, editing, etc.

St. Dick's Epistle Against the Discordians from the quarterly newsletter

In your readings, discussions, or walking at the time when you enter adulthood, past the fleeting part of life exalted by MTV, you may come across a certain sect, the Discordians.  In your quest for guidance on how to live beyond the briefness of youth, avoid these folks like the PLAUGE.  They come in many flavors, sects, and sub sects, Pinealists, Subgenii, Chaos Magicians and dozens of others. By certain signs shall you know them.  They will wish to provoke you to fun, merriment, strife, or utter frustration in the name of Eris, even though few would acknowledge any deity (s).  Some may spout gibberish in the manner of the Dadaists, without reason or subtlety.  They will preach about removing "Shrapnel" from your "Headspace", or advocate how you may break out of your own mind's "Black Iron Prison", as they have assuredly done, and then state that no one can break out ever.  There will be promotion or the works of Philip K. Dick and Robert A. Wilson.  (As EVERY religion is want to sell books.)  They may outright REFUSE to acknowledge they are Discordian, as frustratingly enough, few actually consider themselves what they are.  Some may endlessly draw and mull masturbatorialy over sigils, signs, or icons in an effort to empower themselves.  In the manner of Zen monks, the Discordians may pose odd answerless questions, or tell unusual stories, simply to leave you with a state of confusion which they find "divine".  This may give them the seeming of wisdom, but is only a farce.  Does the "Master" you speak with truly understand his own teaching?  Is there any wisdom behind their preaching? 

Seek answers for yourself, should you come across these strange folks, but do not dig so deeply that you get caught up in their ways.  They may never ask for money, but in taking your time, attention, and drawing your creative force to their cause they will have exacted a greater toll.

St. Dick's Utterances on Discoridans from when he was well drunk and in good company.

Discoridans?  Mixed bag, like any religion.  There will be asshole in their ranks, no doubt, but that's humanity for you.    Not that many will admit to BEING Discoridan to your face, but that's beside the point.  The best of the lot, right off, are the ones who just don't take it seriously.  If any of them "get it", it's that lot.  I mean, if you walked up and told them, "I saw Eris yesterday and I spat in her face." and they reply, "Cool, let me tell you what I did to her...", you're on the right track.  Not to say they're misogynists as a rule either.  Discordians are endless fonts of ideas; you don't get bored around them, because something's always coming up.  Strangely enough, they have projects they work on long term too!  If anything holds their attention longer than a few hours, you know it's got something going.  Put up with the ones that constantly prod and mock too.  If they're doing that, it means they LIKE you.  In their eyes, you're worth giving shit because it'll help you improve.  They're not going to bullshit you.  Not unless it's funny, anyways, but they'll eventually clue you in.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

Excellent! Now for me to quit being a bum and actually dig through the forum to find stuff.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘