News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Cressing

Started by Placid Dingo, November 15, 2010, 12:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Nil
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Triple Zero

Whoa, awesome!!

:mittens:

Like it a lot. "what if Discordia had a sort of pop-idol?" :)

First part of the story had me wikipedia-ing for this guy's name (often enough famous people's names are posted and I have no idea who they are), but there's like 8 of them on wikipedia :) How did you come up with the name?

Also, dunno if you've seen the movie "So Fucking What", but it sort of explores the same topics. Not gonna say which ones in your story specifically, you'll have to watch it ;-) It's a pretty good movie (IMO)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Placid Dingo

I just wanted to put a word to the idea, and chose 'Cressing' randomly. From there I developed the idea of a movement defined by the individual. There's nothing significant about the term at all.
I want to do a series of these.

Kai

This was so well thought out I thought it was all real.

And that's the best compliment I can give.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Placid Dingo

Thank you very much Kai.

000: I watched the film, and see the links. I didn't mind it.

Cramulus

I really like this.

if I could add anything it would be more examples of what it looks like when people create their own narratives

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:50:25 PM
if I could add anything it would be more examples of what it looks like when people create their own narratives

Yeah, that would be a cool follow-up :)

Also, what Kai said (which is what I tried to say in my prev post)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Placid Dingo

Also, just playing around here, developing some structures. I want to let this exist separate to the 'story' element.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KPjMWHZm5tBJm6t_bc0olEBApSwxJ1NSz-ZpvYIeMhM/edit?hl=en&authkey=CL7JhJQK

Elder Iptuous

Placid Dingo

Nil

President Television

I really need to start putting effort into building on my own ideas. That MacGuffining activity isn't anything I've ever heard of before, but I have engaged in it with my friends, except that I called it a "quest". I really need to start building on that.

And I really like both the Cressing idea and the stories. They look like they could be real. :mittens:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

These writery bits are awesome. 'Cressing' sounds like how I keep myself from going insane(er) and going on a killing spree. I might have to pay attention and start playing with it more seriously.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Unqualified on November 24, 2010, 09:50:51 PM
I really need to start putting effort into building on my own ideas. That MacGuffining activity isn't anything I've ever heard of before, but I have engaged in it with my friends, except that I called it a "quest". I really need to start building on that.

And I really like both the Cressing idea and the stories. They look like they could be real. :mittens:

Well actually I was going to call it questing but the term McGuffon came to me. It's an idea from Hollywood (possibly Hichcock), with a McGuffon being an object with no function beyond extending the action.

If anyone would liek to sshare experiences about things like this that you've already tried or seen, please let me know. I'd be very interested.

Also, I'm out of my one horse town and back to the city in a week (and a few days) so I'm hoping to do some road tests then too.

Placid Dingo

Nil

The Wizard

Shit yeah! Really glad to see this thread pop up again!

This idea influenced this story I'm working on. I'm not using Cressing in the story, but rather I'm using blending narrative and reality together in the story. So thanks for writing this.
Insanity we trust.