News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Black Mirror

Started by Faust, December 13, 2011, 10:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

My fucking god... :x

I just sat here for 5 minutes trying to write something about how I felt about that (watched first and second episodes). I've got nothing.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Turns out I did start on episode two.
Will watch episode one later.

Quote from: Faust on December 15, 2011, 10:21:30 AM
Too bleak?
Too POSSIBLE.

Faust

I've been thinking about the whole thing of The Machine turning an act of rebellion back on itself and using it to further profit and exploit it, and it is a actual documented and insidious thing, seeing more and more examples of it the more places I look.

From apples early "Think Different" & "To the crazy ones" ad campiegn which is going back a long way now, in contrast to the status item products they sell with restricted functionality nowadays, to the News of the world now fallen but making a fortune for the other tabloids (mostly owned by the same people), they are getting rich off their own bad news. Warner Brothers are making a fortune off of the Guy Fawks mask sales world wide.
Even twitter coverage of rebellions is generating advertising revenue for that social media channel.

The revolution will most certainly be televised.

Reeducation

Yeah! If you rebel against the system, then you are doing exactly the thing that the system needs. It is actually the system itself that is creating the rebellion.

So the only way to stop the machine is to get out completely. Now who has the balls to do that?

Sounds like a good show, I'll have to check it out later today.
I am very calm

Pæs

Quote from: Reeducation on December 15, 2011, 11:07:49 AM
So the only way to stop the machine is to get out completely. Now who has the balls to do that?
Where do you go when you get out completely?

Reeducation

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 15, 2011, 11:11:18 AM

Into the wild to die young and dirty.

I am very calm

Pæs

Quote from: Reeducation on December 15, 2011, 11:18:31 AM
That doesn't sound better than existing within but not blindly faithful to The Machine.

Reeducation

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 15, 2011, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: Reeducation on December 15, 2011, 11:18:31 AM
That doesn't sound better than existing within but not blindly faithful to The Machine.

Well yeah, good point.  :lulz:
But things change.
I am very calm

Pæs

Reeducation

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 15, 2011, 11:45:09 AM
Quote from: Reeducation on December 15, 2011, 11:27:22 AM
But things change.
And what does THAT mean?  :argh!:

Sorry.
I just meant that if this all (society and other systems) goes to hell, like in a very very bad way, then the wilderness option would start to sound more appealing.
I am very calm

Scribbly

Caught the third one yesterday.

Numbers one and three were really bad, in my opinion. I rewatched number 1 with my housemate, and his final reaction was 'interesting story, but I don't get the point of it at all' which... is fair enough. The best I can take from it is 'the internet makes it hard for the government to suppress what is being heard?'

Bit of an odd message.

Number three was a real missed opportunity. The tech that they had was great; facebook taken to its logical extreme. Then they use that technology to tell a story about a guy who.... suspects his wife is cheating on him?

What?

There was no real fear, here. No demonstration of the extent to which that sort of tech could actually be abused. The second episode was a masterpiece. The first and third fell really flat.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Luna

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 20, 2011, 01:49:41 PM

Numbers one and three were really bad, in my opinion. I rewatched number 1 with my housemate, and his final reaction was 'interesting story, but I don't get the point of it at all' which... is fair enough. The best I can take from it is 'the internet makes it hard for the government to suppress what is being heard?'

Bit of an odd message.

Number three was a real missed opportunity. The tech that they had was great; facebook taken to its logical extreme. Then they use that technology to tell a story about a guy who.... suspects his wife is cheating on him?

What?

There was no real fear, here. No demonstration of the extent to which that sort of tech could actually be abused. The second episode was a masterpiece. The first and third fell really flat.

I haven't seen three yet, and I agree, two was the strongest.  What I took from the first episode was that we're all so plugged into media (internet, TV, whatever) that we miss important shit going on around us.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Scribbly

Quote from: Luna on December 20, 2011, 01:53:43 PM
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 20, 2011, 01:49:41 PM

Bit of an odd message.

What?

I haven't seen three yet, and I agree, two was the strongest.  What I took from the first episode was that we're all so plugged into media (internet, TV, whatever) that we miss important shit going on around us.

Really?

... What gave you that impression? I didn't get the feeling there was actually anything more important going on. I mean, it is a good message, but nobody at any point seemed to go 'shouldn't we do something other than wonder if he's going to do it?'

Maybe Black Mirror is just too subtle for me.  :?
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Faust

The first episode is about the virulent nature of social media and how a single person could cause a world wide incident using it.

The third was how everyone is ultra accountable and ultimately a lot less happy in their lives when everything is documented. I've already seen examples like the third one in real life from people stalking other people, it's just a logical extrapolation of what is going on with it.