News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Preincarnate

Started by Danjanon, February 07, 2012, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Nigel on February 15, 2012, 12:13:35 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on February 14, 2012, 11:55:52 PM
Devil's Druj's Advocate:
Isn't it better when people actively fight the "Christian Nation" myth so we don't all feel obligated to pretend to be christian in polite society, even if they sound like a retard while doing it?

What? Who the fuck feels obligated to pretend to be Christian?

Politicians are the easiest example.

I don't mean so much actively pretending to follow a religion that you don't, as not challenging the "we're all at least more-or-less nominally christian here" dialectic.  E.g., framing a discussion about fairness or justice or equality in terms of "Judeo-Christian" values, or using standard Biblical imagery and metaphors just because you imagine the rest of the participants in the conversation to have similar religious/cultural backgrounds.  Basically, being unwilling to challenge people's assumptions about your own or other's beliefs, because it's a little more convenient to let them believe that you're "normal" than to give them cause to question their normative biases.

Analogously, the people who announce and make a big deal about their sexual orientation are obnoxious and annoying - but it's nice that we're inching to a society where people don't assume that everyone in the office or classroom is straight.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Devil's Druj's Advocate:
Isn't it better when people actively fight the "Christian Nation" myth so we don't all feel obligated to pretend to be christian in polite society, even if they sound like a retard while doing it?

You would, if you weren't a terrorist Jezebel who hates Christmas and wants to take my guns away.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

Devil's Druj's Advocate:

Not the Pope, as far as I can tell. But I seem to recall seeing quite a few Stateside Politicians do it. Whether out of some obligation or not, I couldn't say though.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Devil's Druj's Advocate:

Mark Gatiss?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

So is this about the honest to thoth bit? Because god isnt a name. Its a job description. Its more fun i would think to point this out than to swap out god in a common english expression and replace it with a specific deitys name.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Well sure, if you don't mind derailing the entire conversation.

Nephew Twiddleton

Theres probably ways to do it without derailing the conversation. A quick quip or an aside. You wouldnt want to have a protracted debate about it anyway because then theyll become resistant to the idea.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 02:56:10 AM
Devil's Druj's Advocate:

You would, if you weren't a terrorist Jezebel who hates Christmas and wants to take my guns away.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Danjanon

Seriously though, I've been doing this for years and no one ever says anything. I don't know if they think they've misheard me or don't care to say anything because most of my friends don't want to talk about religion. Another one that's fun is to put in celebrities instead of gods, for example, Lennon's ghost that's hot! I burnt my tongue again!

Prince Glittersnatch III

Devil's Druj's Advocate:

I grew up in a Pentecostal church. When I was 12 the pastor performed an exorcism on my friends house. I once prayed at a funeral for 2 hours that God would raise the body out of the Coffin.

I fell very fucking obligated to pretend to be a Christian at family events, lest they start throwing holy water at me.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on February 17, 2012, 02:50:18 AM
Devil's Druj's Advocate:

I grew up in a Pentecostal church. When I was 12 the pastor performed an exorcism on my friends house. I once prayed at a funeral for 2 hours that God would raise the body out of the Coffin.

I fell very fucking obligated to pretend to be a Christian at family events, lest they start throwing holy water at me.

That would still seem to not be "all" of us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Danjanon

If someone ever through holy water at me the next time I saw them I'd bring my super soaker.

Cain

Devil's Druj's Advocate:

Well, I would suggest sounding like a retard doesn't do much to undermine the Christian Nation myth in the first place, as it just means people assume you're a moron and so cannot understand Christianity.

I would also suggest there are almost certainly better and non-retarded ways to go about undermining said myth, which do not involve changing a phrase often used by non-religious people from a nonspecific deity into a more specific one.

Danjanon

I never said anything about undermining anybody. I was just trying to talk about a book for Kirk's sake! Which, incidentally I finished the other day. As well as the other author's I mentioned the last section had a big Douglas Adams feel to it. I highly recommend it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Danjanon on February 17, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
I never said anything about undermining anybody. I was just trying to talk about a book for Kirk's sake! Which, incidentally I finished the other day. As well as the other author's I mentioned the last section had a big Douglas Adams feel to it. I highly recommend it.

Ah. You do it to be zany.