News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

ITT: Book Reviews that Almost Get It

Started by Random Probability, March 20, 2012, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random Probability

So I was reading this little review over here, and it occurred to me that sometimes people are only riding along on the correct motorcycle.

QuoteNeither Katniss nor the author ever really questions the moral underpinnings of the games themselves -- the idea of children being forced to perform in gladiator contests and fighting to the death, for the amusement of the citizenry. Katniss just wants to win.

It's this approach right here that gives me giggle fits.  Everyone is so busy fapping to the naked emperor that they fail to fully appreciate his wardrobe.

Which makes me wonder how better to illustrate the kink in the think of all the primates polluting my planet.  Or do their tiny minds slide off the uncomfortable surface of reality and back to their "happy place"?

Cain

One group of people are very aware of this problem: those in charge of marketing for the film.  In the words of one exec, "we decided selling audiences on "23 dead kids" probably wasn't going to work".

LMNO

Wait... The entire point of the series is, in one way, about bringing the Games to an end.  Katniss doesn't delve into the morality of the Games because she's living it.

Plus, the games are supposed to be cruel.  It's a reminded not to fuck with the Capital.

Cain

Yeah, I was gonna say, the reviewer seems to have missed a point: the Games are so brutal, the lack of narrative shock at them is meant to be almost as horrifying as the Games themselves.  It's a fairly obvious literary technique.

But the marketing guy did make me giggle, so I wanted to throw that in there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was possibly the worst, most missing-the-point, and simultaneously gender-stereotyping review I have ever read. Is this guy completely devoid of any literature interpretation and general social skills? Seriously, DID HE REALLY SAY WHAT I JUST READ?

If it was April 1, that review would make perfect sense.

QuoteMales may enjoy the mortal combat and the various imaginative ways in which people are killed, complete with lots of gore. Girls may enjoy the fashions shows (the contestants of the games get to strut their stuff on TV in especially designed costumes before the games begin) and the love triangle between Katniss, Gale and Peeta.

what  :lulz:

This guy is so disconnected from reality it's amazing that he can breathe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote..."This book is on junior high reading lists, but kids killing kids, even though it's handled delicately in the film, is a potential perception problem in marketing," he said.

One morning, he floated a radical idea: what about never showing the games at all in the campaign? Some team members were incredulous; after all, combat scenes make up more than half the movie. "There was a lot of, 'You've got to be kidding. I don't see how we can manage that,' " Mr. Palen recalled.

Eventually, he prevailed. "Everyone liked the implication that if you want to see the games you have to buy a ticket," he said. Boundaries were also established involving how to position plot developments; in the movie, 24 children fight to the death until one wins, but "we made a rule that we would never say '23 kids get killed,' " Mr. Palen said. "We say 'only one wins.' " The team also barred the phrase "Let the games begin."

"This is not about glorifying competition; these kids are victims," Mr. Palen said. A few months later, when a major entertainment magazine planned to use "Let the Games Begin" as the headline on a "Hunger Games" cover, Ms. Fontaine, traveling in London, frantically worked her cellphone until editors agreed to change it...

:lulz:

Random Probability

What Nigel said.

I wanted to comment more yesterday, but didn't have the time. Apparently I've been promoted to even more work.  Go me...

The whole article was alike a bag of monkey wrenches dumped into the clockwork of my mind.

dontblameyoko

Nigel, sadly i know some people who think like that.
including at least one good friend of mine
ugghghghgh drives me nuts
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby