News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Interpret This (Please&ThankYa)

Started by NewSpag, April 30, 2012, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewSpag

The other day I was doodling when a certain phrase started echoing around in my head.  It had a nice ring to it so I started thinking about it.  In spite of the risk of being relabeled as a pinealist I thought I would share this phrase with you and get your thoughts on it.

The phrase is: "Sometimes always is never".  I thought it was really beautiful and captured a lot of philosophies that I've been mulling over lately but I've been known to be wrong before.  I'll post my thoughts later as I'm in a bit of a rush now and I kind of want to hear YOUR ideas before they've been tainted by mine anyways.
QuoteOne day I realized life was pointless.  I've been celebrating ever since.
There's beauty in everything so lets destroy it all together.
Sometimes Always is Never.  For everything else there's Mastercard.

Doktor Howl

I think you need to wear a hockey helmet when you're outdoors.
Molon Lube

NewSpag

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 30, 2012, 09:04:27 PM
Noted, hopefully I can make it to the store without being hit by stray pucks.  It's a constant worry here in SoCal  :roll:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Insanity on April 30, 2012, 09:09:27 PM
Noted, hopefully I can make it to the store without being hit by stray pucks.  It's a constant worry here in SoCal  :roll:

All the retards are doing it.

Sometimes always would imply a greater than zero value.  Never would imply a zero value.

Your head is full of hippie bullshit.  You should either get rid of it, or contain it so we don't have to look at it.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

It sounds like a line from a pop country song. One of those with some chick singing about how some guy said he'd always do this and that, but he never did.

There'd be a horrible manhate music video of her in a frilly short skirt and cowboy boots throwing him in the river bound and gagged. :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 30, 2012, 10:11:57 PM
It sounds like a line from a pop country song. One of those with some chick singing about how some guy said he'd always do this and that, but he never did.

There's be a horrible manhate music video of her in a frilly short skirt and cowboy boots throwing him in the river bound and gagged. :x

Um.

Just gave me an idea.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Dok, OTOH, is a COMPOSER.  :lol:

Quote from: Dok's sigOh, say can you see by the McDonald's light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose drive through and dollar menu through the corpulent night,
O'er the counter we watched were so gallantly serving?
And the Playstation's red glare, a generation's blank stare,
Gave proof through the night that our kids were still there.
Oh, say does that Walmart sign yet glow
O'er the land of the fat and the home of the slow?

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 30, 2012, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 30, 2012, 10:11:57 PM

There's be a horrible manhate music video of her in a frilly short skirt and cowboy boots throwing him in the river bound and gagged. :x

Um.

Just gave me an idea.

Awesome!
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

It strikes me, initially, as someone trying to sound wise.

I'll wait on the explanation before I make a more indepth judgement, but that is how I see it right now.

Elder Iptuous

the only thing that i can figure is meaning a 'two sides of the coin' thing. always (something) means never (the other) when there's a strong duality...
seems like a truism in that sense.
is there another that you're getting at?

AFK

Quote from: Insanity on April 30, 2012, 09:02:53 PM
The phrase is: "Sometimes always is never".

I like it, actually.  I would even newsfeed it, if it were up to me.

For me, the first thing I think of is reframing expectations.  I think your average joe would want to think about the concept of "always" in a positive light.  That is, a positve light that provides them with immediate gratification, benefit, or hope. 

"There's [always] someone for everyone." 
"Things always work out in the end."

Well, for some folks, things never work out in the end.  They are always under life's thumb. 

How it can be instructive, I think, is to reorient expectations.  But not to go to the other extreme and put someone under a black cloud of despair.  But, instead, to make an individual recognize, that it is foolhardy to expect "always's" in life.  Some people end up being endlessly fucked.  It could end up being you!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

NewSpag

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 30, 2012, 09:11:06 PM

Sometimes always would imply a greater than zero value.  Never would imply a zero value.

Your head is full of hippie bullshit.  You should either get rid of it, or contain it so we don't have to look at it.
All the retards in SoCal are all bout sk8brd helmets because all the kewl kidz sk8 (or at least they used to, not sure if they still do). 
As for the hippie bullshit... yes.  Sorry I'm going through a hippie phase.  I'm not going to contain it, and I'm going to force you to look at it either.  If you don't like hippie bullshit kindly explain why and I will take your opinion into consideration.
Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2012, 10:21:01 PM
It strikes me, initially, as someone trying to sound wise.

I'll wait on the explanation before I make a more indepth judgement, but that is how I see it right now.
Good call sir!  The reason I started thinking about this in the first place was because the phrase sounded so "deep" (Sorry, without protective quotes that word's meaning in context pisses me off with all its pretension).  I was kind of hoping that the other posters might wait until after I had explained myself before they started making fun of me, but hindsight being 20/20 I realize that was stupid given my reputation around here.

Anyways I'll go ahead and release my pretentious, hippie bullshit, philosophical garbage etc., etc. (yes I used two et ceteras because I couldn't think of a fourth thing to list  :sad:) ideas into the wild where the good Doktor will surely slaughter them for both my amusement and I can only assume his own:

[PRETENTIOUS HIPPIE BULLSHIT]
I really like this phrase because it has two words that in my mind denote certainty (Always and Never) and forces them to clash.  This may or may not be interesting to you, but I have an irony/paradox fetish so it sure made my dick hard.  Defining "Always" as sometimes being "Never" is both ironic and paradoxical in the sense that the two ideas are opposites (irony) and the definition is itself a paradox.  This little bit of rhetoric is probably why the statement comes off as trying to be wise (a.k.a. sounding smart to retards, while sounding retarded to smart people).

What really interested me was how I could apply it to self-limiting beliefs (I've been working to de-brainwash myself).  Iptuous kind of just touched on this as I was typing.  Basically: if you believe that something is ALWAYS true then you also believe that the opposite is NEVER true.  This may or may not be a good thing.  I guess it just made me realize that if I ever accept an ALWAYS (and an ALWAYS provides such comforting certainty) I have also accepted a NEVER.  Therefore some of the things I may take for granted as being "good" or "true" may just simply be one possible "goodness" or "truth".  I guess the statement: "Sometimes always is never" just reminds me to question everything and try to consider other perspectives and never accept anything as absolute truth.
[/PRETENTIOUS HIPPIE BULLSHIT]

I'm not trying to sound wise because I'm sure you all have reached similar conclusions, or if you haven't then you've probably already been down a similar thought process.  I am no guru and you all (or at least most of you) have much more life experience than I.

That said, let the mockery begin!   

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Insanity on April 30, 2012, 11:54:04 PM

All the retards in SoCal are all bout sk8brd helmets because all the kewl kidz sk8 (or at least they used to, not sure if they still do). 
As for the hippie bullshit... yes.  Sorry I'm going through a hippie phase.  I'm not going to contain it, and I'm going to force you to look at it either.  If you don't like hippie bullshit kindly explain why and I will take your opinion into consideration.

Because it's mushy-headed nonsense.  It is in fact possible to actually think, without indulging in pseudo-intellectual crap.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Good call sir!  The reason I started thinking about this in the first place was because the phrase sounded so "deep" (Sorry, without protective quotes that word's meaning in context pisses me off with all its pretension).  I was kind of hoping that the other posters might wait until after I had explained myself before they started making fun of me, but hindsight being 20/20 I realize that was stupid given my reputation around here.

What reputation?  You came in babbling about how insane you are.  That puts you in the same boat as about a thousand other noobs. 
Molon Lube

NewSpag

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 01, 2012, 01:10:13 AM

Because it's mushy-headed nonsense.  It is in fact possible to actually think, without indulging in pseudo-intellectual crap.
Noted.  I actually respect your opinions a lot (after all I found this site through a collection of your work).  However until I come to that conclusion (the mushy-headed nonsense part) on my own changing the way I think to the way you think would just be conforming.  You don't have to indulge in my "pseudo-intellectual crap".  In fact I'd prefer you didn't because then you would no longer be making fun of it, and I'd miss out on some good laughs at my own expense.

NewSpag

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 01, 2012, 01:11:30 AM

What reputation?  You came in babbling about how insane you are.  That puts you in the same boat as about a thousand other noobs.
Exactly.  My reputation of being a passenger on the S.S. Arrogant Noob Trying to Stir Up Shit/Have People Tell Him How Great He Is.  I'm actually looking for a lifeboat as we speak.