News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Kindle owners: SYMPATHISE WITH ME!

Started by Cain, May 09, 2012, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Does anyone else have the problem of browsing the online Kindle store, just aimlessly, then finding tons of interesting books for relatively minor sums, then abusing the hell out of "one-click delivery" to be able to instantly read them?

A need for instant gratification and large amounts of disposable income is a bad mix. I shall buy ALL the interesting ebooks.

AFK

Do you have the  Fire?  I ask because my wife is supposed to be getting one as a 'thank you' from one of her vendors.  I'm thinking  it should be miles better than the piece of crap Literati, she received for Xmas.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

No, mine is the light model that came out in 2010, with the keyboard.  The one there was endless advertising for.

The problem is, with the price of many books (that I'm interested in, anyway) being literally only a couple of pounds, and being able to be bought and delivered with a single click of a button, and read only minutes later, I'm finding it especially hard to resist the temptation to buy hundreds of books.

AFK

I think my wife will have that same issue.  Thankfully we have small children  to eat into reading time to, somewhat, keep that in check.

LMNO

it's gotten worse for me, lately.  Still waiting in the wings:

It's Even Worse Than it Looks
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
The Science of Science Policy
Patti Smith: Just Kids
Influence: Science and Practice
Thinking, Fast and Slow
Bob Mould: See a Little Light
All Souls

Faust

I actually perfer the older kindles to the fire, the eink is much nicer to read then the colour screen.
The only thing with digital books is not everything is commited to digital form yet. I went hunting the place of dead roads and the western lands for two hours before it dawned on me that no one has created a digital copy of them yet.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 09, 2012, 01:22:10 PM
Does anyone else have the problem of browsing the online Kindle store, just aimlessly, then finding tons of interesting books for relatively minor sums, then abusing the hell out of "one-click delivery" to be able to instantly read them?

A need for instant gratification and large amounts of disposable income is a bad mix. I shall buy ALL the interesting ebooks.

I have this problem, minus the disposable income.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Faust on May 09, 2012, 04:08:15 PM
I actually perfer the older kindles to the fire, the eink is much nicer to read then the colour screen.

I've read that in many of the reviews, and that they are also harder to read outside in sunlight.  But, I figure if it's free, it's something to live with. 

Doktor Howl

Kindle is still black & white, yes?
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
The old ones are, the fire is dangerously approaching Ipad territory.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know if you can still get the black and white ones, but I think you can.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on May 09, 2012, 04:08:15 PM
I went hunting the place of dead roads and the western lands for two hours before it dawned on me that no one has created a digital copy of them yet.

If you make Amazon your first stop you can easily tell if there's a digitized version before heading to the torrents.  Plus, you can click a button to request that the publisher get on the stick and make a digitized version. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 04:43:58 PM

I don't know if you can still get the black and white ones, but I think you can.

Don't want it B&W.  If I am going to sully myself with fake books, I at least expect color.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 04:43:58 PM

You can, they're about £80, whatever that is in fake money.

LMNO